Duke's Place - A multipurpose Duke Ellington Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt I, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yikes, I think I'm being so clear when I type info. Guess not!

The ban was in 1942. LP's were not invented yet, just single side 78's existed. Since no new music could be recorded, the record labels looked for ways to make money while waiting out the strike. Milt Gabler at Decca came up with the good idea of repressing some of their old Brunswick & Vocalion stuff (from 1931 back) on their current cheapo Brunswick label. So, they got an inventory of what old metal they still had that was of a jazz or blues nature like Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra, Ellington, etc. and whatever else they still had (Boswell Sisters, anything that had the young Benny, Glenn, Krupa, Berigan on them) and pressed up new shellac 78's directly from the vintage metal parts from the 1920's. They sold these for 35 cents and much to Jack Kapp's surprise, they sold out (college kids, mainly.)

They did a second set and couldn't find half of the old parts (direct to disk cuttings) so they took the missing stuff and redubbed it to new metal from old 78's. Those basically suck, being bad needle drops of 78s with heavy tonearms. I avoid those because they didn't make very good needle drops in 1943. Better to get a modern CD using an ORIGINAL 1920's pressing dubbed in the modern era by Davies or someone who knows..

The other companies did the same so you have Bluebirds of old Scroll Victor "Race" 38,000 series records, etc. coming out on current Bluebird, also for 35 cents. These were anything with Bix on them or Tram or whoever. Ellington's were done as well plus country stuff.

Now the new (founded in 1939) Columbia Records had a back catalog of the old American Record Co. stuff (like post 1931 Brunswick, Vocalion, Melotone plus the old OKEH label. At this time (right as the war broke out) they had a LOT of the old metal so they repressed a bunch of stuff, both jazz, pop and hillbilly on Red Columbia, full price of their "classics" and they sold as well.

You understand that using "original metal parts" from the 1920's means a "live" recording preserved on beeswax and plated to metal. As pure as you can get.

George Metz (collector from Venus) instructed me when I was still in high school to look at the deadwax to see if the Red Columbia was the original plate. One would see the old OKEH or ARC stamper matrix number there. That was how to tell if your reissue used the original parts rather than a dub of an old record. At that time Columbia had the old parts so all of the Armstrongs on OKEH, Jungle Bands, Hendersons, Bob Wills Vocalions, etc. were pressed up in the 40's, ignored by label collectors but adored by music lovers like me who can hear the great original metal parts pressed up on quiet 78's for a buck or so each. Wonderful records.

Later on in the war a lot of this 1920's material was sold for scrap metal FIVE CENTS A TON, I kid you not. I've seen the destruct orders. Sad but true.

Make sense?

There is a lot of great stuff that (thanks to the ban) was reissued in the early 1940's of really rare 1920's "Race" and "Hillbilly" music that is sought after today in ANY form.

eno789 likes this.
  2. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Steve,
    Thanks for the 78 history lesson. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to 78's so the info is appreciated. Even on Youtube (through my good stereo) the magic of a good clean 78 comes across. What a sound!
    So how many Ellington Victor scrolls were there, anyway?

The Mooche 78
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrIYpty4YA

I'm sure this clip has been linked on the forum before but It's really cool to see the process of Duke and Co. making a record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKlFFp4-IE

3. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up a nice copy of The Ellington Era (1927-1940) - Volume 1 (Columbia C3L 27 Mono 2 eye) a couple of weeks ago and I'm really liking it. There is a ton of great Brunswick and Columbia songs on it and the sound is pretty decent overall.

I bought it for $9, $5 for the purchase and $4 shipping, a fantastic value considering the sound quality.

4. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Quality collection with some lesser known '30s material... I really love "Ducky Wucky" and "Drop Me Off At Harlem" (apparently the correct title).

Volume 2 covers the same period, and has even more unusual selections, though just as good.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That MOOCHE record is from the early 1940's and I can't tell if it's a dub or not. If it has NO lead in groove and a double leadout (and it has an "VE" in the wax), it's from original 1920's metal.

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

All the more surprising considering he's playing it on one of those el crappo Vestax record players with a generic needle and built in speaker.

I question how he could wring that much sound out of a thing like that, unless the video was overlaid from another audio source...

(Without clogging up a Duke Ellington thread on discussions of 78 rpm playback equipment.):)

7. wildroot indigo

I feel fortunate to have a few original Victors, batwing/scroll labels, "VE" stamped:

21703 - East Saint Louis Toddle-Oo/Got Everything But You
    22587 - Mood Indigo/When A Black Man's Blue
    24755 - Solitude/Delta Serenade

Haven't listened to these in a while, I need to upgrade my 78 rpm setup, not adequate right now. They were very inexpensive; in fact one of them was free.

8. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been looking for a good copy of East Saint Louis Toodle-OO, right now my go to copy is the Steely Dan version.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

My favorite version among his many recordings of it is the first version on the OKeh label. It's eerie, primal Jazz Age. Speaking in terms of convenience not sound quality, it's on The OKeh Ellington, which although NoNoised etc is a swell set musically, and the more recent Essential Ellington set. These ought to be easily available and cheap. There probably (hopefully anyway) is a better sounding CD but I haven't personally heard others yet to say.

10. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

It's also on the Masters of Jazz complete edition, Vol. 1.

11. apileocole

The series you mentioned before (thank you for that informative post). Was this volume (thus this track) mastered by John R.T. Davies or just the discs you specified, and if not, do you believe it sounds better than The OKeh Ellington and Essential Ellington sets?

12. RZangpo2

Only Vols. 9, 10, and 11 were mastered by Davies. The other volumes credit Charles Eddi for transfers and Francois Terrazzoni for mastering.

As for the sound, there is no NR, so I would favor it over The Okeh Ellington. I haven't yet heard the Essential Ellington set - but due to the recommendations in this thread, I have it on order! I can report back once I've heard it.

Collecting the Masters of Jazz series would be a bit of a challenge today. The set was issued in France in the '90s and has been out of print for years. Some volumes can be found on Amazon Marketplace, but not cheap. French sources would be better. Or PM me - perhaps I can help. ;)

13. wildroot indigo

Thanks for that info... I have Volumes 1-6 (November 1924 - March 1929), and find the mastering on those consistently decent, but not outstanding.

For that same period, I've preferred the sound on Hot 'n' Sweet/Epm CDs. Beginning with Volume 3 ('Black Beauty' 1927-1928), these claim to be "Directly transferred from original 78 rpm and from original metal parts." That the first two volumes don't claim this actually lends some credence, as Duke's first few releases (on the Blue Disc label in 1924) are extremely rare, sometimes only one or two originals known to exist.

14. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Was the Masters of Jazz series done first on LP and then later on CD?

15. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

This is Duke Ellington lp

Received my "This is Duke Ellington" LP set (RCA Dynaflex 1971) today. Near mint off ebay for $10 shipped.

I'm happy! What a collection of tunes (duh) and great sound for the most part. Love hearing the early Duke on vinyl. Thanks to Steve and the others for the recommendation. :righton:

A couple of notes from this lp set...

Ivie Anderson just slays me on "I've got it bad..." I may need to seek out more Ivy. She seems to be the one Ellington vocalist I never mind hearing.
    Any recommendations?

Bing Crosby is one of the Rhythm Boys on vocals on "Three Little Words" from 1930. Who knew?

The LP was remastered by Don Miller. Good job Don

Oh yeah, East St Louis Toodle-oo (1927) sounds just fine here.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

What are the sonic differences between the Masters of Jazz and Hot 'n' Sweet/Epm Ellington series (bearing in mind that these recordings are 80+ years old, of course)?

17. wildroot indigo

There are so many variables with these sets, you know: early recordings for different labels, various pressings used as sources, their condition, transfers, mastering, equipment used for listening, personal preference, etc...

November 1924 - February 1929: generally, Hot 'n' Sweet (which is really a series, the label is Epm) has more definition and clarity, yet without sounding too bright. Masters of Jazz is a bit more hazy, very listenable, just seems to lack some definition. This is based on comparison between Hot 'n' Sweet 1-5 and Masters Of Jazz 1-6 ... and all in my opinion, of course.

Hot 'n' Sweet Volumes 10, 11 and 12 use Cedar--these sound harder and more brittle than the earlier volumes.

On a previous page, I learned that John R.T. Davies mastered Volumes 9, 10, and 11 of Masters of Jazz--so these would seem much preferable to the corresponding Hot 'n' Sweet volumes. I wasn't aware Volume 11 even existed; some of the later Masters of Jazz complete edition titles are quite rare.

There is one alternative take not included in either set: "Tishomingo Blues" (E27772-B) originally released on Brunswick 3987 (Canada). It appears on the JRT Davies mastered CD 'A Gift From The President' (Jazz Oracle BDW8047), amazing sounding collection of rarities by various artists.

18. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I found out last night that on Masters of Jazz Vol 11 (Aug-Oct 1930) Davies did the transfers but the actual mastering is by Christophe Henault, Studio Dante.

Sound is very good (maybe a little on the bright side). Certainly great clarity and great bass on the "Mood Indigo" included here.

19. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I don't like the sound of the best of disc extracted from the 24 CD Complete RCA Victor Recordings box.

Too much CEDAR on the disc sources, and even the tape based songs sound oddly thinned out and heavily subjected to noise reduction. If it's representative of the box as a whole, it's not one to buy for sound.

20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Can someone post a pic of the cover from one of the Masters of Jazz series.

Are the French import series of Duke on Columbia LPs good?

21. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Here's the cd cover vol. 11
    Not sure about the LPs.

Attached Files:

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for these....

23. RZangpo2

I got the Essential Ellington set (EE), and compared the 22 March 1927 recording of "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo" to the same recording on Volume 2 of the Masters of Jazz series (MOJ).

A comparison of waveforms reveals that EE has less dynamic range than MOJ. Listening bears out this difference. On EE, the trumpet and trombone solos are more "squashed down" into the mix, and consequently less exciting, IMO. On MOJ, the horn solos "stand out" more, giving the recording a more natural sense of space.

Also, EE is missing top end compared to MOJ. MOJ has, if anything, too much treble, suggesting that a top end boost has been applied in mastering.

Altogether, EE sounds compressed and NR'd. MOJ is more natural sounding, the only flaw being the possibly boosted treble. Overall, I'd give the nod to MOJ.

24. apileocole

Thanks for getting back on this. :)

25. wildroot indigo

One of my favorite Duke LPs remains 'The Cosmic Scene' (1958) by Duke Ellington's Spacemen... another of countless Ellington records which seem to change with every listen. The track "Spacemen" is a standout for me... sprightly boppish performance.

Instrumentation: trumpet or flugelhorn/3 trombones/clarinet/tenor sax/piano/bass/drums.

For the Mosaic CD (MCD-1001), the album was remixed in stereo from the original 3 track tapes... hi-fi, yet I find the high end sometimes a bit hard on the ears. I tend to favor the mono European CD (CBS 467179 2) in the 'I Love Jazz' series, unfortunately not so easy to find. I'm thankful to have a French LP (CBS 84407) reissue; although in truth it sounds just relatively OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.