Duke's Place - A multipurpose Duke Ellington Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt I, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Mine is on some German label called 'History', it sounds very good but it's not mind blowing Mosaic quality.
    At least you don't have the metallic noise that ruins the first 6 or so discs in the RCA box.

I would love to see Sony re-do the Centennial set, at least the 1920's-40's material that's on disc.
    If they can reissue Elvis a hundred times, why not Duke.

George P likes this.
  3. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Definitely one of my favorites!

4. George P

George P Notable Member

After only one spin, it's now one of mine! :wave:

5. Just scored a Quad Pressing of New Orleans Suite

Sounds Sweet!

6. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I'm glad I found this thread! Ellington's work can be intimidating due to the sheer volume. He's pretty much my gateway to the world of jazz. I started picking up his albums at my local library years ago & fell in love with his work. The song "the Mooche" was an early favorite for me. I don't know if I have a favorite period. Right now, I'm listening to some of his 50's & 60's work. FAR EAST SUITE, BLUES IN ORBIT, & SUCH SWEET THUNDER.

I'm going to pour over the rest of this thread. I love Ellington but honestly don't own much of his work. I have the cd collecting his albums with Coleman Hawkins & Coltrane and rerecording of his music titled THE DMP BIG BAND SALUTES DUKE ELLINGTON. I really want to start adding some Duke my collection.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.