Dual Disc Pushing Out DVD-A and SACD?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thegage, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

I just saw this title.

I'm not sure dvd-a and sacd were ever IN for DD to push them out.

From what I've read, DD is going to be dead in a year if the compatibility issues aren't fixed.

For god's sakes why cant the companies just put out sacd's and dvd video supplements?
    have the normal cd layer and when people feel like it, they can upgrade.
    Whats the big deal? I know that's probably a naive question, but it seems like they are doing an even better job of making this more complicated than they need to.

They gotta go with a format that no one is asking for, with compatibility issues.
    Only the suits could want such a thing :rolleyes:

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Format roulette, IMO... I believe they're grasping at straws looking for the most profitable format they can concoct. They obviously have no regard for the customers. Get cynical and you'll catch on. :)

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

guys, where can one get a list of what D-VHS titles are available?

thanks.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

There's a good one posted as a sticker on the HT Software forum at AVS Forum. I warn you that many titles are OOP though. Some had pretty small runs. Bourne Identity couldn't of had more than a hundred or two made. I had it preordered from two places and didn't get a copy! There threads over there on a regular basis by folks that want a copy, myself included.

MulHolland Drive was rare but they did a second lot...which is proably hard to find now. So, never assume a title is stille available, muy, muy importante, si? :)

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I don't recall exactly, but I believe there was a coaxial 'F' type connector and FireWire, in addition to the typical RCA type connectors for outputs and such. I'll have to give my friend a call and ask him to be sure.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The NIN's DualDisc of The Downward Spiral did come out today. I was lucky to find one at a local CC of all places.

7. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

8. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I just got an email from Acoustic Sounds. They are carying dualdisc now. :sigh:

9. GoldenBoy

So is Music Direct and their email had a compatibility disclaimer to boot! :shake: At least they are guaranteeing exchanges or refunds on any DualDisc that will not play in your player. They are also requesting, if you have a problem with one, to let them know what player(s) you own that have the problems.

None of this is making any sense to me at all.

10. GoldenBoy

I don't recall if this was mentioned in this thread or not, but it has already been announced that there will be a hybrid BD/CD version of the Blu-ray discs. There will be two different types: one will be a flipper disc with CD on side and Blu-ray on the other; the other kind will have both CD and BD layers on one side, just as it is done for SACD. This is possible because the design of the Blu-ray media really came out of the SACD development, and Blu-ray discs are very similar in design to SACD's. I believe, but don't quote me on it, that the one-sided hybrid BD/CD disc will also still allow for multiple BD layers. It really is looking more and more to me like the discussion will not be about CD, SACD, DVD-A, or DualDisc, but about how quickly Blu-ray will become THE standard disc media, especially if Sony does what I think they should do and add DSD as a required audio format on Blu-ray. I think HD DVD may be dead before it even gets started.

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Inventing format after format and losing money time and time again?

Maybe the music industry would be better investing in soybeans instead?

12. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Or maybe purified petroleum products, like...say vinyl :D

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Why soybeans when you've got corn-derived discs? :)

14. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Funny. :)

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I bought the DualDisc of this at a Media Play, after striking out at local BBs, CCs, and Sam Goody's. They did not have the SACD at all.

I played the CD side in my trucks 6 disc in dash factory player, and it played fine. It ever came out when I ejected it! :agree:

I just put it on when I got home, and it's pretty cool. While the music plays (Surround HiRez, of course), there is an interesting 16x9 slide show that is displayed. Very cool.

I have to admit that this is the first NIN disc I own of any kind, and the first time I have really listened to them. Amazing but true, I kinda like it! On the first run through in the truck, I never got the urge to "skip ahead" a tune, and now hearing the tunes for a second time, I can see that it is actually pretty damn good.

I like to experience new music and genres, I just never listen to the radio so I don't know what's out there. I can, however, see how some folks would not like this type of music.

For me, it's a keeper. I'll get the SACD when I see it.

As far as DualDisc goes, I still think a double disc would be better, but this one WORKS, and works well.

16. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I found my copy at Best Buy in the CD section.

17. GoldenBoy

To bring this up again, it seems the fears about the problems with DualDisc were warranted. Here's an excerpt from an article on Audio Video Revolution:

I for one will not be purchasing any of these DualDiscs.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.avrev.com/news/1204/16.dualdisc.html

18. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I've bitched about audiorevolutions "news" stories before. This guy hates sacd and clearly hates dual disc. All he's doing is rehashing the warnings and making it sound like the who's who of high end manufacturers are all having problems playing dual disc. While some may have problems (I know goldenboy has), I really haven't seen anything on the internet about actual problems with all these manufacturers. They state they need to test things out before consumers attempt to play discs.

Look at his sources! He's making proclomations based on nothing real.

19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I agree with GabeG. Although I would MUCH prefer a hybrid SACD or a Dual Package (Like Yoshimi) over a DualDisc, there is no need for hysteria about this format.

If this format helps get some of the "on hold" DVD-A titles out to the people, I could care less about them not working in extreme high end players. Those guys think surround is a joke anyway, and me, I am buying these and waiting for these for the surround.

20. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I think the guy from audiorevolution is trying to claim ultra high end players are having trouble dealing by using the warnings as proof.

21. GoldenBoy

I agree about Audio Revolution's biased news reports, but I don't think they are biased against DualDisc, regardless of what you may think about this latest 'report'. Only a couple of months ago, they were declaring DualDisc's victory over the 'dead' SACD before the format was even officially launched!

And let me clarify one thing for the sake of fairness, I haven't had any problems with 'DualDisc', because I don't own any. What I own is a 'OneDisc' or DVD+, which is the original hybrid CD/DVD flipper disc from which the DualDisc format was stolen (I believe there is a lawsuit in motion). The CD side, rather ironically, will not play in my Denon 2200 universal.

22. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Well let's just say audio revolution's reporting is anything but. The reports tend to be quite reactionary and full of opinion and contain very little fact.

I'd like to know where any lexicon or mark levinson owners have reported any problems (much less damage to their players). Thickness shouldn't be an issue since dual discs conform to the dvd/cd spec.

To say that the problem is with very hi end players is a bizarre conclusion based on the sources he's quoting.

Sorry about misquoting you Goldenboy, I was confusing you with MikeT.

23. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

According to the folks at Philips IP&S who do the licensing for Compact Disc, Dual Disc does not conform to the CD Spec. That's why DDs do not carry the CD logo.

24. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

From the research i've done, i think in the not too distant future we are going see a massive "colorization" of classic TV shows originally done in Black and White.

This is because the syndication houses have a list of "acceptable" Black and White shows based on viewer research like "Lucy", "Honeymooners" and "Beaver". If a show is pitched to the syndication houses for inclusion, and its Black and White, if it aint on the list, they reject it out of hand.

because there have been MAJOR strides in colorization recently, I think we will see "Lucy" colorized for start, and if that proves sellable, then they will colorize other shows. Now, before people start screaming, this is not always a bad thing.

I recently saw some Three Stooges shorts colorized and they looked FANTASTIC. One would NEVER know they were not filmed in color.

Personally, Ive seen all the old black and white shows 10,000 times each and I think a good job of colorizing would allow a new generation of kids to appreciate them, AND give us old folks something "new" to see. I'd love to see what the Petries apt looks like in color, for example onb the Dick Van Dyke Show.

25. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

I understand that Warner and DVD Plus have an agreement in place re: DVD/CD "flipper discs" in the U.S. So any legal claims DVD Plus would make in the U.S. would relate to that deal.

As far as I know, the DVD Plus folks have only talked about the threat of a lawsuit in the U.S. vs. actually filing one on the Dual Disc format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.