Dream Theater 24/96 HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by svafo, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I haven't heard this HD version, but 'A Dramatic Turn of Events' is another top notch album by Dream Theater.

2. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Portnoy, who is a very talented musician, left on his own when the other 4 didn't want to go on a long extended break. Mike Mangini is an exceptional drummer as well and his ability to play Portnoy's licks and add his own style for the latest album shows how good he really is. Dream Theater didn't get any worse and Portnoy left, I think they got even better.

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Honestly, I prefer the new drummer. I've never been a fan of Dream Theater, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this album.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks, I just downloaded the HD Tracks version. I was gonna get the Megadeth too, but the discount code only applied to the DT.

Thanks, I just posted on John's FB page. It would nice if a few of you could "like" it and add a comment backing me up. Maybe it will actually get his attention.

5. MellowVelo

MellowVelo Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but there is a Megadeth discount code: megadeth20
    http://www.megadeth.com/home.php

Scroll down the page and you'll see it in the middle.

On the subject of DT, this new release sounds considerably more dynamic, a real joy to listen to. I found the CD version unlistenable because the already-dense mix sounded so congested with all the compression.

6. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

"For the time being, HDtracks only sells to U.S. Residents"

Lovely. I have a credit card which I wish to use to buy this album in high resolution, like right now. But no, I'm evil since I don't live in the US. Hello, I want to buy this album with real money, HDtracks should be encouraging people like me, not locking me out (geez!!).

Little wonder that people are forced to torrent sites when you encounter crap like this.

I am pissed to the MAX :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Stone age thinking by HDtracks and it's music industries buddies.

Dennis.

7. SnooP

SnooP New Member

Use the paypal checkout option. works for me.

Dream Theater now #1 on hdtracks!

8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Awesome SnooP, thanks very much, that works!!!!

Just purchased AND downloading now. Thankfully the HDtracks downloader also works on Linux :)

But, why does HDtracks say "US only" BUT PayPal (even with my Aussie credit card) works?

Weird. But problem solved. 24-bit 96KHz DT for only $14US (~$13Aussie). Can't wait.

Dennis.

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm sure its in the licensing agreement that they only sell toe US residents. HDtracks would likely be glad to sell you the download, but for whatever reason the content providers insist they don't. I wouldn't blame HDtracks here.

10. SnooP

SnooP New Member

I more thought their own credit card checkout system was only setup to handle US credit cards. Hence working with paypal checkout. I'd rather think of it that way.

11. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Evidence says you are correct. Though the HDtracks wording makes it seem the opposite.

Anyway, I now own this album in 24-bit. Proper review on my main rig will happen later in the week. I'll post my thoughts about this version vs the standard CD.

Dennis.

12. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Ok, I gave ADTOE a good listen in CD & HDtracks 24/96 forms.

No contest, 24/96 is a much nicer sound. There is an ease and naturalness about the HDtracks version that does not exist on the CD. It's about 5db quieter than the CD; so it breaths better, it sounds more analogue.

An analogy would be:

* The HDtracks vesion is like a well recorded early 90s CD (pre loudness wars)

* The ADTOE CD version is like that early 90s CD, but remastered in the 2000s (post loudness wars). Invariably it sounds worse. So it is here with DT. The CD punches you in the face, the HDtracks version sounds like music.

I'm getting rid of the ADTOE CD, I'll never listen to it again. The HDtracks version of ADTOE is my permanent version now. The second thing is, I really like this album. I've been a DT fan since 92; however, the last 10 years have not been good (after SDOIT). This album has prog, melody, sappy ballads & no growls (all the things I love about DT).

Good stuff, recommended.

Dennis.

13. jacek2

jacek2 Forum Resident

I have this message :

Based on your territory as determined by your IP address, we are unable to sell you this album due to restrictions imposed on us by the record label.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for shopping at HDtracks!

:-( :-(

14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

How does the vinyl compare to the 96/24?

15. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I'm in Australia, I had a similar'ish issue (see my rant in this thread).

However, another Aussie said to purchase via PayPal instead of directly via HDtracks own e-Commerce system. That worked for me.

So, you should register as a HDtracks user; do not provide any credit card or address details. Check-out the album, then hit the PayPal button to purchase.

Hopefully that works.

Firstly: region restrictions are garbage.
    Secondly: this 24/96 version is a good one.

Dennis.

16. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

I was able to purchase from Australia with a credit card no problems. Of course, since I was unable to say I'm from Australia, I left some of the address details at their default values *shhhhh*

Also, this version sounds amazing ! I was listening to it at work, but as my usb soundcard is limited to 48KHz, couldn't really get much out of it. Listening at home, however, I was amazed by the sound of this thing ! Big soundstage, great sound, and my ears didn't hurt !!!

Need to revist the vinyl, hear if they're the same mastering.

17. aroney

"Need to revist the vinyl, hear if they're the same mastering."

So, what's the verdict?

18. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I got the deluxe CD/DVD edition of their latest album. I really enjoyed the documentary of them auditioning drummers; that was really cool. Mike seemed like a very enthusiastic choice and man he is one bad mofo on the drums. Overall, the music was OK, but it didnt knock me out on first listen, so I'm going to give this one another spin tonight.

19. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

I knew I forgot to do something !
    Haven't had much time lately, but I'll give it a spin over the Easter long weekend.

20. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

I'm curious as well. Was thinking of buying the vinyl copy. Haven't read anything good or bad on it yet...would love a comparison to the high-res digital...

21. lordvader

lordvader Forum Resident

Hey all.
    So I just did a quick comparison between the two versions. I didn't play the complete album, just two tracks ("On the backs of angels", and "breaking all illusions").

Though I can't say with 100% certainty, it does feel like they both come from the same source. They both cast a large sound stage, reveal a lot of detail, and are just begging to be cranked !

Any differences, I believe, are differences in my playback chain.

I burnt to dvd-a, and played on my oppo 95. The preamp was a 76 based valve preamp, and the amp was a Passlabs F3 (both DIY). The TT was a planar 3, with a 2m blue cart. The phono stage is a Passlabs Pearl (also DIY).

For example, the vinyl version was a bit warmer, and a bit "fuller" (the piano on track one seemed richer, or something ...), but in some places a tad recessed.

22. aroney

Cool. Thanks for doing the comparison. I'm leaning towards grabbing the vinyl now too.

23. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

How does the new (self-titled) Dream Theater cd sound? Should I forestall by plan to buy a 500 dollar Marantz cd player (DAC) and instead by an iPod and download the latest DT masterpiece?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.