Donald Fagen: Nightfly Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:agree:

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I stopped by a local shop last evening, and they didn't get this set in. Their computer system showed that it came out yesterday, but they didn't get it. No explanation. The person behind the counter couldn't even tell me if they would be getting it. I hope this isn't going to be a common problem.

Has anyone seen the set at Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, etc.?

3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I saw this set at one of the local shops last Fri. I passed since I have all 3 dvd-a's. The dvd-a's and this set are both 24/48. Does that mean they're the same soundwise? If so, why didn't they just come out as dvd's in the first place, as opposed to trying to scam consumers into buying new technology they weren't interested in to begin with? If regular dvd is capable of the same quality as 24/48 dvd-a, why not just utilize dvd's full potential from the start?

4. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

It appears to me that these dont have "hi-rez" dvd-a surround (or stereo): Choice of dolby surround or DTS surround. The Hi-rez claim refers to the stereo only portion, which if I am correct? is not to dvd-a specs either....
    The consensus seems to be these are really DVD's rather than DVD-A's.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They.
    Are.
    Not.
    DVD-A's!!!!!!!!

6. KeithH

I love these Fagen albums, but I have to wonder if I need this box set. I have the DVD-Audio discs and previous CDs. Are the new CDs remastered? If so, how do they sound? In my opinion, these albums do not really need to be remastered. Maybe I'll just get the box for the bonus tracks.

7. KeithH

Are these discs DVD-Audio?

:rolleyes:

:D

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

LOL!

If anyone has these as DVD-A's already and listens to the 5.1 I wouldn't bother with them. Unless as you said you really want the bonus tracks.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Let's all say it once more - MVI discs are not DVD-Audio discs..... They are DVD discs with the possiblity of some hi-rez content (generally in stereo) and presented as LPCM so ANY DVD player can play the content. In addition there may be videos, ringtones, mp3 ready download content (so you don't have do the conversion to place these on your mp3 player), etc. If they called them what they are - DVDs - it would make the world a happier place.

10. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I played both discs from The Nightfly last night.

I started with the CD. Anemic! It has to be the same old lifeless CD.

The MVI had all the punch/impact I remember from the original vinyl. I can't say if this is a new "authoring" because I played this on my subwoofer-free upstairs rig (speakers roll off in the 40 hz range). I always play the DVD-A on the surround system. I need to do more listening before I say more.

It was annoying not to be able to reach the bonus audio tracks. I have no monitor on the upstairs universal player. I can play the music by simply stopping the disc after "Menu" displays, then pressing the play button. Access to the bonus tracks is through menus only.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Do they play on a regular CD/SACD player (doesn't play DVDs)?

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

All true, except DVD-Audio discs do play in regular DVD players ... you can only access the Dolby Digital or DTS layers, however.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Whatever. My NIGHTFLY TRILOGY is supposed to arrive today from Amazon, then I'll know for sure what's going on here. As I stated before, The Flaming Lips' MVI discs was simply a DVD with some lame bells and whistles hardly worth mentioning.

My point is this whole MVI business is purely marketing crap and further muddies the waters of understanding.

14. You can't play the DVD-A content in any regular DVD player, though, and a few DVD players couldn't play DVD-A's, period. The "MVI" is different, because it plays in "all" DVD players because an "MVI" is a DVD.

15. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

:yikes:

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

No mention of Meridian Lossless Packing yet?!

I thought that's what distinguished a DVD-Audio from a DVD with hi-res audio LPCM.

MVI is not a DVD-A as it doesn't use MLP - right?

MVI is basically a DVD stuffed with various files - all of which are either accessible from a standard DVD player or a DVD-rom drive.

So, an MVI is a DVD with DVD-rom content.......

I think that's right - now, back to watching England go out of Euro 2008 :sigh:

17. Mr Sam

:p

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

If that is true...then I am PISSED!

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I thought I read that there's supposed to be commentary about the tracks from Fagen somewhere in this set..has anyone found it?

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

See you in 2010.......

:wave:

21. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

Again, So, is the dts layer on "Morph The Cat" sound terrible, or is it just my copy?

22. Mr Sam

:nauga:

23. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

But if audiohiles, the main target market for DVD-A and SACDs, keep on putting both these formats down and burying them before they are totally dead, then this is what you get.

24. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

So, do you really intend on skipping the opportunity of getting the digital music files for your portable player that these discs include? :rolleyes:

25. KeithH

:laugh:

Digital music files? That's a laugh riot. I'm a dinosaur. I still buy CDs and I don't own an iPod or any other MP3 player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.