Donald Fagen: Nightfly Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Nightfly Trilogy MVI DVD Box Set

$54.98

Donald Fagen's three solo classics--The Nightfly, Kamikiriad, and Morph The Cat--reissued as groundbreaking MVI Discs in a 7-Disc Music Video Interactive (MVI) box set, produced in collaboration with Donald himself. Each title is on its own MVI disc featuring the entire original album along with DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital and Advanced Resolution PCM Stereo mixes, plus rare and previously unreleased bonus audio tracks and interviews. Each disc also features bonus content including videos, rare footage, complete lyrics, a custom ringtone application, special weblinks, and more. There will also be four audio CDs: the first three feature the three original albums, while the fourth will include all of the bonus tracks (except for interviews). Expanded booklets include liner notes and track-by-track commentary by Donald. Please note: the MVI discs play on standard DVD players and computers with DVD drives. They will not play on CD players.

Taken from:

http://donaldfagen.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=1134_11283&pc=6DAM03DVDSET

--- Nov. 20th release date scheduled ---

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I've got that same cover (except it says "EP" on the bottom left right under where it says "Tomorrows Girl" on a Japanese import CD single that has those three songs along with Century's End and another edit of Tommorrow's Girls. Reprise #WPCP-5303

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The fact that this set is NOT DVD-A is, well, a "Royal Scam" by WB.

4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Well, these will play in hi-res on any DVD player so that's cool - these are all digital recordings that were well below 24/192 so I'm sure MVI can cope with the native resolution (or something close - see below) of the masters.....

Incidentally, wasn't Nightfly mastered at 50kHz or something odd? Can a DVD player handle 50kHz audio or will this be re-sampled to 48 or 96?

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The press release cited by portisphish states Advanced Resolution PCM Stereo. I'll take it. I'm sure Jon is looking for hi-rez surround, though. :(

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ah yes - it's Quintrophonic Quid or nothing for Jon........

;)

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Of course! My brain is capable of listening to music that is not limited to the restriction of sound coming from only two meager locations in the listening area! :righton:

8. Yup, recorded, mixed, and mastered using a 16 bit, 50kHz format developed by 3M. The Nightfly DVD-A was dithered/decimated/resampled/whatever to 24 but/48kHz, I believe. My guess is that the MVI--which to me seems to be just another name for a DVD--will probably use the DVD-A masters for the high resolution stereo track, minus the DVD-A-specific watermarking and copy protection and minus the MLP compression, if that was present on the DVD-A.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I hope the MVI doesn't have the longer intro to "Green Flower Street" - why did they use that for the DVD-A? :confused:

10. Yeah, that was kind of weird, especially since the extra bars are a tiny bit sloppy compared to what was on the original.

11. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

:laugh:

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

My CD version of Nightfly (which, I understand, is the one immediately following the target CD) sounds equivalent - if not better - than the stereo layer on the DVD-A.

I also have the Kamakiriad CD (bought when the album came out, although I don't know at the moment if it's a target or a version equivalent to my Nighrfly CD). Given those were low res digital times, how do the CDs stack up to the stereo version on the Kamakiriad DVD-A?

Note: IIRC, both my Nightfly and Kamakiriad CDs are West German pressings.

13. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This should still be out on the 20th of Nov???

14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Good question...I just had to approve a delay in shipment at Amazon, yet they still show the release date as the same. But they estimate shipping more than a week later.

15. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

So, it looks like the documentary on the Kamakiriad DVD-A is not going to be on the MVI set.....

I love the part where Walter talks about how to produce an artist who knows what he is doing in the studio - one of things he does is "create obstacles to be overcome" :laugh:

17. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

18. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Wow, time flies. I think it's coming out this Tuesday.

19. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I'm with Fagen on this one. There are, obviously, some very notable exceptions, but with the overwhelming majority of bonus tracks and anthologies of rare alternate mixes and out takes I've owned, it has been really obvious to me why the artists released what they released and shelved the rest. I don't listen to most of this stuff more than once.

Tim

20. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member

Donald Fagen Box Set Arrived With Autograph

Today just about 10 minutes ago my Donald Fagen signed box
    set arrived,can't wait to crack this open and give it a spin.

Here is a photo of the set.

Attached Files:

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very nice. :agree: Some of my favorite albums.

Are the remasterings different on these?

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

MVI? Another format?

23. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Who's Donald Fagen?

24. JayB

JayB Senior Member

:eek:

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

In this case, my guess is it's the DVD-As repackaged. My question is: Is the bonus disc a DVD-A?

The Flaming Lips "MVI" disc was simply a regular DVD in a stupid new (sized) cardboard (cheap) package with Web-connection content.

In short, Warners' MVI program is bogus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.