Donald Fagen: Nightfly Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The MVI disc sounds suspiciously like the DVD-Album disc that Rush is releasing in ways. People are just as confused by them! Given the description of "superior sound", it may have the original DVD-A stuff for each album, but who knows.

Either way, glad I have the original DVD-As.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes, let's confuse the launch by giving it 40 different names!:shake:

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes, I'm quoting myself...

Re-reading the press release, it doesn't sound like these will be CD/DVD (or MVI) releases at all...but rather DVD (or MVI) only.

That would kinda suck...

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Yet another missed opportunity - but I'll probably buy it, fool that I am, for the handful of tracks I don't actually have....

Anyone know the state of play with Becker's solo CD which was, I believe, originally meant to be out last year?

5. Ocean56

Ocean56 Forum Resident

I'll get the boxed set...

...and had NO clue there were Fagen B-sides on singles!

Does anyone have a list of DF singles? Are they available, say, on Ebay?

I can't believe i missed out...I'm a HUGE SD fan...:agree:

6. RoyalScam

Let's see if this link works...

http://212.238.227.178:8080/SteelyDanDatabase/releases.jsp?SearchName=Donald+Fagen&SearchTitle=&SearchInclude=1&SearchSingle=1&SearchOwn=All&Compact=Yes&Wanted=&CurrentRow=0&OrderBy=Artist

Look specifically at the "Tomorrow's Girls", "Snowbound", and "Trans-Island Skyway" singles for all of the pertinent bonus tracks.

7. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Having not purchased any previous DF solo disc in any incarnation, this set is a no-brainer for me.

8. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

So the jury is still out on whether this is a true DVD-A release or not?

I just purchased the "Morph The Cat" combo pack and am wondering if I should hunt down the other two Fagen releases on DVD-A or wait for this set.

Thoughts?

9. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Don't know about the new trilogy, but I have all 3 DVD-A's and they're excellent. Kamikiriad is particularly better than the cd. I believe it was remixed for stereo on the DVD-A, and comes off much more enjoyable in hi-rez. The original cd is painfully sterile and cold IMO.

10. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

My Nightfly CD seems a bit bright... is there a preferred CD version that doesn't suffer this fate?

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

OK, so my 2CD "Collector's Edition" Kamakiriad isn't redundant yet because it has the single edit of "Tomorrow's Girls"!

No other single edits?!

Seems like a missed opportunity to get everything in one place :sigh:

12. RoyalScam

OK...what is this "Collectors Edition" you speak of, Mal? (My wallet is quivering in my back pocket right about now...)

13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Nothing that exciting really - just the regular album on one disc and the "Tomorrow's Girls" single edit on the other together with "Confide In Me" & "Shanghai Confidential" - catalogue number Reprise WO180CDX, dated 1993 (1988 for "Shanghai Confidential").

I got mine used with both discs already in the case but I think you bought them separately judging by the sticker:

Limited Edition CD in Double album box designed to house the single and the album KAMAKIRIAD (available separately)

Here's a picture of the set - you can fold the booklet the other way to get the album cover:

Attached Files:

14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

More pics.

The bar along the bottom of the album cover is where it says "COLLECTOR'S EDITION 2 CD SET".

Attached Files:

15. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Yep, my single came in that double case without the album itself.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

nice set--I put my cd in the double jewel. I love how you get a new back cover that lists tracks on both.

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I've got that one too although I never moved my full length disk to the double case.

18. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Anyone knows if this trilogy really is going to be released?

//Uffe

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I obviously don't know which version you have, but it's been said that the original West German and Japanese targets are better than later U.S. pressings. To my ears, the targets sound very good.

20. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Agreed, the original WG pressing still sounds terrific. Even after all these years, it's still a prime example of how good digitally recorded music CAN sound on cd.

21. Andy Miller

Andy Miller New Member

Well, Steely Dan are playing Europe at exactly the same time this box is due, so if it's going to happen, it'll happen soon.

22. RoyalScam

Latest date I've seen on DonaldFagen.com is June 26th/25th.

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

FYI, I just got the following email from Fagen's website (through whom I'd ordered the Trilogy box):

:sigh:

24. RoyalScam

I'm betting the shakeups at Rhino have something to do with this...

Incidentally, the last e-mail I got from Lellie Capwell @ Rhino said July 10th would be the date...that was 3 weeks ago.

25. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

Buy.com ($61.52) and Amazon.com ($53.98) both list the release date as July 10th, but CD Universe ($50.69) has an August 7th street date. Bummer if we have to wait an additional 4 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.