Do you collect Sony ES? Let's see your collection.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

The original Esprit pre and power amps are the one to look for
    Very expensive and few reached the West
    Many Record Companies had these as there reference.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Not a collector, but I do love my 700ES amp. They don't make them like this anymore!

[​IMG]

4. Would an amp like this be sufficient to power 2 to 4 speakers in a school gymnasium setting? Strictly as a P.A. setup. Any thoughts?

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Excellent

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Probably not. Or at least, not if you're expecting distortion free room filling sound. Depends what you need it for though, the event, etc, etc....

Gonzalo Duque likes this.
  7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

That's a beauty!

LoveYourLife and The Beave like this.
  8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Not a collector either but I wish I still had the TA-F707ES integrated amp I owned. That was a beast of an amp. Biased class A for the first 15 watts, one of the cleanest sounding amps I've ever owned. When you're riding on the upgrade merry-go-round you can make some pretty foolish decisions.

9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I saw one recently at a thrift and thought about getting it. Fifty bucks. It was a STR-GX5ES. How do those sound? I left it because a dealer friend of mine who works on equipment said the circuitry isn't much different from other similar models.

10. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Just got my first one, HAP-Z1ES. Nice to see Sony still making high quality components!

Great sound quality and build quality, software could be more polished.

For a digital source, I don't think you can do better for the price with an outboard DAC.

11. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I had CDP XA50es and now I have XA20es which I use as transport.
    Want to buy MDS JA 50 es

12. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Used to have 2 Sony TA-E80ES preamps. One in my man cave and one in my living room. Sadly they were lost in a fire with all the other stuff. Really loved them.....

13. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I am sorry man that is a sad story, it is one of my nightmares - fire on the ship and around my hifi.

14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

CDP-XA7es is my Sony. I have owned it since new and thoroughly enjoy its sound and build quality. I only regret that it does not decode HDCD. When I want to spin an HDCD I use my Denon Universal player.

15. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

I have an MDS-JA20 ES minidisc deck in my main music system but I seldom use it these days. It's built like a tank!

16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have a SONY XA20ES CDP that I found on the sidewalk one morning. It was just sitting there with the remote and cables. Even had the little weight inside. It's worked perfectly for over a year now.

dbsea, Steel Horse and jfeldt like this.
  17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

18. High Fidelity

I am a Sony ES fan for excellent Sound & picture quality, have the StrDA 5400EsS AVR & XA 5400ES sacd player. However I have found these items to be unreliable. I had three DA5400ES receivers before getting a reliable one. My 7 year old DA5400ES HDMI board failed and Sony could not repair it, however fortunately I did find a very expert enthusiast service man locally and its now working again. My XA 5400ES player is with him as it drops out with sacds works fine with redbook CD. By contrast I have the 25 year old Marantz CD94 player and it still plays faultlessly, the belts have been replaced. a friend has the Philips 960 version again plays fautltessly with only the belts being replaced. Sony make their products deliberately difficult to service and IME can not be recommended for reliability.

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have one that's broken. I bought it on e-Bay. The seller shipped it in totally inadequate packaging. I didn't get any traction trying to convince e-Bay that the seller should take it back. On the outside it looks good but you can hear loose pieces inside. It powers up but won't do anything but turn off, or did. It's been sitting in my garage for at least 2 years. I have not found anybody locally that wants to try fixing it. It's really heavy. It's hard to ship. It must weigh near 20 kilos.

This dead end is because the seller thought she could just wrap this beast in bubble wrap and stick it in a single soft box...

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Dude, In Brooklyn! :rolleyes: How does stuff like this happen, who in Brooklyn throws out a perfectly good Sony ES player?

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

After about 12 years my SCD-1 started doing the same thing with respect to SACD's and CD's. I completely agree with you that Sony repair service is worthless. I hope I can find someone here in the states to repair it, London is a bit far to go for a repair. :winkgrin:

Litejazz53 likes this.
  22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I second that motion! Sony's Hanover "House of Horror" had two goes at my SCD-XA777ES. It always, and still does play Sack-Dee's just fine but won't play all CD's. Each time I paid about $50 to ship the bloody, heavy thang to 'em, it came back with one or two functions not working. Still, it wouldn't play CD-R's or long CD's. On long CD's it got to some point late in the album and started miss-tracking. I talked to the dealer and he had a go at it. He did better. It still wouldn't play CD-R's but it played long CD's for about 6 months and then returned to form, doing the miss-track shuffle.

The 5 year ES warranty don't mean sheet!

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Sony's not really Sony anymore. It's an insurance and videogame company that does audio as a kind of hobby. For the moment, anyhow. Until they close the brand down or sell it off.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  24. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

Sony DVP-S9000ES over here:[​IMG]
    I am on love with Sony ES products both with sonic quality and build.

25. High Fidelity

I have the UK version DA5400ES which features HATS my third one purchased 7 years ago as the first two were faulty, The HDMI board failed and Sony engineer was unable to obtain replacement board. Fortunately a local very expert service guy was able to repair it. Whilst waiting for Sony repair , I tried out the latest Marantz & Yamaha receivers which for SQ are just not as good as my Sony 5400ES , the FM tuner ,the pre & MM phono stages on the 5400ES are as good as high end separates.