Do you collect Sony ES? Let's see your collection.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 18, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX Thread Starter

I got too many CDPs already.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It would certainly seem that I collect ES gear. My stuff:

Home-theater system:
    STR-V444ES receiver
    DVP-NC555ES DVD/SACD changer
    CDP-CX333ES 300-disc CD changer (two daisy-chained)

Better stereo system:
    SCD-777ES SACD player
    SCD-C555ES SACD changer
    SCD-C333ES SACD changer

Second stereo system:
    SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
    SCD-C2000ES SACD changer
    CDP-X3000ES CD player

I also have a CDP-XA5ES CD player and CDP-C69ES CD changer that aren't hooked up at the moment. The 'XA5ES is a nice CD player, but the 'C69ES isn't so good. I picked up the 'C69ES at a Salvation Army on a whim a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed when I hooked it up at home. Oh well. It was $18.

And I used to have an SCD-C555ES in my second system, but it started skipping frequently. This is a known problem for this model, unfortunately. The player sits in a box in the basement.

pscreed likes this.
  3. KeithH

From everything I've read here and elsewhere, the 'XA5400ES is decidedly better. I have the 'XA5400ES, and it is an excellent player with CDs and SACDs.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

DVP-NC555ES DVD/SACD changer is what I also have. A true meaning of built like a tank and plays pretty dang good to.

Attached Files:

5. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Not a collector, but I have two:

PCM501ES
    PCM701ES

They are outboard PCM audio decoder/encoders that connect to a VCR to convert it to a Digital Audio Recorder.

A_L

MonkeyMan likes this.
  6. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I am in the same boat as Geoff, I am not a collector, but I do have four pieces of Sony ES gear:

TC-KA3ES Cassette Deck (purchased 1996, it still works, or at least it did when I used it about a year ago)

DVP-S9000ES (purchased early 2001, used as both SACD and DVD player, now stored as backup deck)

SCD-1 (purchased November 2001, a true tank, still in use as my main SACD payer)

SCD-XA5400ES (purchased May 2011, SACD player for home office system)

There is is a thread just like this one over in Head-Fi.

Rather than pictures of this gear I found this picture in a November 2001 review of the DVP-S9000ES:

dvps9kdsd.jpg

I googled the information on the chip but could not find anything on it. Not sure what part of the DSD electronics chain it is. It is a quad flat pack which is unusual for a DAC if that is what it is (most DAC's are TSOP's, they have leads on only two sides). Anyone know what this chip is?

7. JMT

JMT Senior Member

No collection, but I do like my SCD-C555ES

[​IMG]

8. KeithH

The 'NC555ES has served me very well.

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I didn't see any reference to the chip(s) used in the DAC, but I do have a PDF document entitled "DVP-S9000ES Tech Notes" that I could pass on if you'd like. Shoot me a PM if so.

10. Don C

Don C Member

My Garage speakers.

Attached Files:

11. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

The x77 is a joy to look at and operate. Built like a tank and dead neutral presentation. It has the smoothest transport I've ever used. The K870 makes superb recordings, but whenever I contemplate the level tweaking necessary for this, I end up spinning an lp instead.

The older Sony ES series had such a slick understated design, even with all of the bells and whistles.

12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

This is what I'm referring to.....

Attached Files:

• es.jpg
      es.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    cnolanh likes this.
  13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My current ES collection:

STR-DA6400ES Receiver
    SCD-XA5400ES SACD/CD Player
    BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Player

All bought within the past year. I'm very happy with all of them.

14. HiFiGuy528

How you like the STR-DA6400es? I've been eyeing either the 5600es or the 6400es, but the 6400es is hard to find. Any software issues?

[​IMG]

Litejazz53 likes this.
  15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

rr, Thanks for the help, PM on the way. With more searching i found this article:

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol17/pdf/tw_saud.pdf

It was written in August 1999 and clearly Sony had big plans for DSD and SACD at that time. It also shows the insane level they went to over copy protection. I think the figured that if the could guarantee the labels that SACD would not wind up all over the web and at Napster they had a winner.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

None so far but I don't use a lot of the features. These modern day receivers are very complex but for basic two channel and surround sound it works great. It's a very good sounding receiver. AVS was blowing these out at the end of last year so I got a pretty good deal on it. They're probably hard to find right now.

17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

DA777ES Receiver: 50+ lbs, made in Japan, still going strong 11 years on.
    XA 5400ES SACD/CD
    SS-M3 ES Speakers
    TA-F3000: Japan-market integrated, ES in all but name.
    ...and a TA-50(?) ES tuner in the closet.

18. The Man Cave has a E9000ES Pre / N9000es Amp / X33ES CD -- and a whole rack of other stuff.

19. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

I love vintage Sony ES stuff. I have a few different receivers but one day would love to get a nice mint kit of power and pre amp.
    Here's a nice drool worthy video clip od some vintage ES
    http://youtu.be/fxPfXQZ0J3Y

20. HiFiGuy528

Nice video. Thanks for sharing it.

21. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Thanks for the vid pal!

22. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I've been given a GX69ES that I was told needs a $35 part to work and that sound was coming from only one channel. Plugging it in, I see it remains in the receiver position even when each of the other functions is selected. Anyone familiar enough with this to guess what that $35 part might be and whether fixing that and the other problem might be worth it? I've read it has a nice sound.

23. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

my uncle (father's side) used to have an entry-level all-ES system from the late 80's,
    all bought at the same time. i really thought it was cool back then (1990's)
    and was probably one of my founding influences towards a desire to build my own Hi-Fi.

as i remember, it had a receiver, CDP, dual-well cassette, and TT. all in a SONY badged system cabinet.
    and no, it DEFINITELY WAS NOT a rack system, but a full fledged set of ES components
    in a separate accessory SONY cabinet. the only things NOT SONY or ES were the stereo speakers.
    those were some American brand (presumably) with some longish name i cannot recall...

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Only ES SACD players it seems. I have an SCD-C333ES (carousel), a SCD-XA777ES and an SCD-XA5400ES. All working fine (one laser replacement I did myself on the triple 7)

25. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Does anyone know of a site that lists out every Sony ES component with model number? ( ideally including year of release, specs and image? )