Disastrous Lou Reed / Laurie Anderson / John Zorn set at the Montreal Jazz Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fredhammersmith, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I thought the same exact thing!:winkgrin:

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Oh, Pale Blue Eyes is one of my favourites. I would love to hear a version of it that lasts over an hour.

:winkgrin:

3. moops

moops Senior Member

What exactly did the crowd think they were going to get anyway ? I like Lou's set-up in the clip, he's doing a Fripp ........

4. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Darn, I knew someone would read my post the wrong way. Let me restate it. The show lasted over an hour, and I only recognized one song, Pale Blue Eyes, amongst all songs they played during the show.

Now that I have thought about it some more, I remember a few more details about the show. Initially, Laurie played about four songs solo, and then Lou joined her on stage. About a half-hour into the show, Lou introduced Steve Hunter on to the stage and said "he was there to play some rock-n-roll music." I didn't recognize anything the trio played together, though it sounded interesting.

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Slow news day I guess.

6. Montreal Jazz Fest audiences are usually very respectable but there's often a yahoo or two in any crowd. I saw John McLaughlin there once, playing in a clearly advertised jazz trio. A trio of testosterone and alcohol-crazed young guys behind me kept yelling out for Mahavishnu songs and eventually stomped out in a huff when they finally accepted that is was no longer 1973.

7. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Definitely some nice stuff in that clip. I too would like to hear more to figure out what the booing was all about.

8. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

The clip was decent, but then again it was only a clip.

Imagine that for 75 mins :eek:

9. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

75 minutes of what was in that clip would be INCREDIBLE!!! Now I wish I had been there, except that it sounds like the unbelievably rude "fans" may have ruined it for the people who were trying to enjoy the music. Of course, it also sounds like much of the show was much more cacophanous than the sample, and many complained that the overall volume level was in distorted/dangerous territory, which I find to be a problem with too many otherwise good shows. I always bring earplugs now to live shows, but wish I didn't have to.

drasil likes this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

:confused:

nothing- except that it's a French blog.

12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Yeah, I'd love to hear the whole thing. Wonder if there are plans for a release or whether it will *appear* on the net at some point?

13. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm racist.
    (just kidiiiiiiiiing)...

actually, progfan sums it up:

14. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

15. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow, i have to read that and see if it works.

16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.