Dire Straits: Remastered CDs vs originals ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mhw58, Jan 19, 2008.

1. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Another reason for the 1996 remasters having lower DRs is because they have stronger bass, which in general, reduces DR. Take 'Brothers in Arms' for example, with the original CD having DR16, and the remaster DR12.

The original CD is very bright, with the cymbals and keyboard flourishes being extremely clear. The snare drum is bright and light sounding as well. Some may like this clarity, however, it is a typical 80s CD with a lack of bass. The 1996 remaster reduces this brightness, and has stronger bass. The snare drum is duller and sounds more powerful. The choice of which CD really depends on your preference.

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

What do I have?

S/T, Alchemy - West German target CDs
    Brothers in Arms - Japanese Warners CD "Mfd. By Matsushita")
    Communique, Making Movies, Love Over Gold - US Warner CDs

Pouchkine, c-eling and Bill007 like this.
  3. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

I wouldn't call any of the 1996 Dire Straits remasters bad. Only for On Every Street I clearly prefer the original since it simply sounds perfect. This doesn't mean the remaster is bad.

4. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Originals are better, more crankable. More hi-fidelity. Still very cheap to find.

Was listening to my HDCD of Sailing to Philadelphia recently too. Incredible sounding disc.

5. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

But worth picking up for the 5.1 mix by Chuck Ainlay. Just don't bother listening to the stereo mix, whether on the CD layer or SACD layer. Absolutely crushed to death.

Pouchkine, boiledbeans and Plan9 like this.
  6. Here's an old post of mine comparing the 1996 remasters to the originals. On the remaster, the slight volume increase over the duration of the track "Six Blade Knife" is completely lost.

This is what I had written in a follow-up post:
    "The song used to have a volume build-up, getting louder as it progresses. The remastering engineer decided that that wasn't a good thing, and the song should be equally loud from beginning to the end. He actually changed the quality of the music/recording."

DIRE STRAITS: Self-titled: Best version on CD?

ricks likes this.
  7. JediJoker

Are you sure that volume increase wasn't added by the previous mastering engineer(s)? Is it really present on the mixdown master tape?

albertop, The_Windmill and Plan9 like this.
  8. Yes, I am sure. It is also on the old vinyl releases, for example.

ricks likes this.
  9. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

After running my Vectron copy of the 1976 S/T recording through the 'corrector'/'decoder', I got DR14...

I just ran a test of my 'correction' program on 'Sultans of Swing', producing a snippet. Definitely wear headphones, and download first, Dropbox player sucks.
    The 'correction' program is a true attempt at correcting the processing done against consumer recordings.

Dropbox - 06 - Sultans Of Swing-DEC-SNIP.flac - Simplify your life

Included: a snippet of the best possible (after lots of research) unprocessed/uncleaned-up copy of the cut:
    Dropbox - 06 - Sultans Of Swing.flac-RAWCD-SNIP.flac - Simplify your life

The output portion of the program (the descrambler) is still in the midst of adjustment (it acts like a compressor/expander from hell.) Therefore, the sound isn't 100% what I expect yet. Mostly the difference will be in the lower highs needing a bit more 'body'.

John

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Ludwig did it in 1996. His choice to do so perhaps not, but he was responsible from mastering engineering perspective.. It's fine BTW on the original 1985 WG Dent (for Japan and US) and the original 1985 Vertigo Ludwig (for EU) CD's as well as the 1985 vinyl.

The build up was clearly the Artist's intent and IMHO brilliant for Knopfler to do so. Sad that the track is a causality of loudness war

11. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

One sad thing is that the percussion is squashed so very bad on many/most versions.
    Listen to the A/B (just updated) of 'Sultans'. The Percussion at the beginning takes a real hit with the so-called 1980's 'Digital Sound', now being passed of as 'normal'.

John

12. tas

tas Forum Resident

Try the 2023? Atmos mix it is for me my new preference.

13. JediJoker

I would, if it would only be released on disc or as a download. I'm not interested in subscribing to Apple Music or Tidal.

14. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Not seeing the Atmos mix of Brothers... is there a link? I have the 5.1 and it's amazing.

15. tas

tas Forum Resident

It's on Apple Music.

duneman and JediJoker like this.
  16. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Noticed now that two of my 1996 rematers (Making Movies & Love Over Gold) from EU have red swirl lables... Strange. Anyone know anything about this?

17. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

They changed it (back) a few years ago. In 1996 Making Movies had a red|blue CD face and Love Over Gold a dark blue one. No changes with s/t and Communiqe.

andy75 likes this.
  18. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Thank you. My other 1996 ones, the first two, BiA, Money For Nothing and OES have the "right" disc label.