Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms 5.1 coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I think that if the stereo mix on the SACD is the original one the 5.1 mix stands a good chance of sounding better, if only for the use of newer higher bit depth reverb machines, which would add more 'color' to the 44.1/16 original multitrack audio.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The thing about converting PCM 16/44.1 to DSD before decoding is that in doing so you eliminate one of the main hurdles in getting at the true full resolution of 16/44.1, namely the brickwall filter.

My main concern would be how the conversion to DSD is performed - can the integrity of the originally encoded signal be fully maintained in this process? I think the important thing to realise is that, even if distortion of the originally encoded signal is evident on playback due to the conversion to DSD, so long as that distortion is less significant than that introduced by playback via PCM D/A conversion (necessitating the use of a brickwall filter) then you are at an advantage......

3. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member

sa-cd.net miss some sacd exclusively released oversea.

such as

Piano soundtrack sacd

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Or domestic SACD such as the stereo-only versions of Carole King's "Tapestry" and Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell".

Edit: The Michael Nyman soundtrack "The Piano" is on sa-cd.net.

The number of SACD titles released worldwide, and this is just my guess, has already surpassed 3,000. I believe one Philips website mentioned over 3,500 worldwide titles!! Surprisingly, this Sony Europe website only counted 2,699 titles as of this post.

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

True, but what about the Steve Earle I mentioned earlier in this thread? I don't think that it is just a "resolution" issue. In the case of DSD/SACD, there are other audible beneficial attributes.

6. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

7. Dave D

Dave D Done!

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No true if you consider that lower jitter improves image resolution.

10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

The brickwall filters are one factor, but, as I have already mentioned in this thread, there is also the removal of the additional step of quantisation on playback which can also be a source distortions .

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I've got my pre-order in with Amazon.uk

Look forward to hearing this one.

12. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Just Spoke to Mr. Crockford, Ludwig is apparenty through mastering the M/C DSD, embarking on the stereo, and WILL be mastering for US side MLP version (Mark currently mulling over whether he is happy for it to be a Dual Disc). Only video extras likely to be the four promos.

Chuck is unlikely to be embarking on mixing the others until the Autumn when Mark is available to supervise. He thought the Sailing DVD-A should be out now, which it isn't, and says that although Mercury over here were supposed to be doing an SACD of it they are not overflowing with SACD enthusisam at the moment.

That's all folks, more when I know more...

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I just saw that amazon.co.uk is selling a "limited edition" SACD of BROTHERS IN ARMS to be released the same day. No details on their site about what makes it "limited," however. Same price, so I ordered it anyway.

15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Info from highfidelityreview.com link at post #100 (hey! I was #100 on the save SACD petition too!!)

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I also ordered the Limited Edition SACD which looks like it will be a digi-pak.

17. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yep. $24.95 Australian dollars.

18. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Bear in mind CDWow is a UK and Hong Kong (I think) based seller. They have an Australian dollar website but the CDs never ship from Australia nor are they made here.

19. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

20. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024)

You can get it elsewhere for $16.95 postpaid in USD so that's not a very good deal at over $25. Are you sure about the shipping? That seems really high! :)

21. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

22. Jay

Jay New Member

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I noticed there are 2 different cd-wow, one in uk(9.99 pounds) and the other one in australia($24.95) free shipping. How much would $24.95 Aus dollars be in USDollars? What about 9.99 pounds? I wanted to compare the price with MusicDirect-$34.95+shipping. Are all the BIA SACD's created and imported from Hong Kong? If so will the booklets be in Japanese like Pastmasters like Grand Funk Railroad? Has anyone had past dealings with CD WOW?

24. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024)

They also have a US-centric site at cd-wow.us and if you go there through one of the many $2 discount links you can get it for $16.95 as I mentioned above. I've bought a lot of UK releases from cd-wow in the past and they've always been EU product, but they do ship from HK.

http://www3.cd-wow.us/promotion.php?promo_refcode=14282_1&affid=14282

25. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.