Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms 5.1 coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Thanks for the link.

But this quote still bothers me:
    So we now have D/A converters that magically add resolution that was never present in the source? Does not the A/D converters of the time also merit consideration in that those converters had to generate the recorded bits to begin with.
    That makes sense and sounds promising.

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Not "magic". They simply do a better job of reconstructing the analogue waveform.

3. reidc

reidc Senior Member

As I recall back when shopping for audio equipment back when Brothers in Arms was first released- it was constantly being used as a Demo piece- both in CD and in LP format.

Here's to hoping this becomes a demo-poster child for SACD!!!

This is GREAT news for SACD considering the mostly bad news its been gotting over the last few months.

Chris

4. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Since the D/A convertor is the component that is rebuilding the signal, MB's statement makes sense.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am a bit skeptical as to whether the SACD will sound better than any of the available CDs, but I am more than willing to find out! Let's just hope that this one is mastered well.

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I can see why since I own BIA in both of those formats. A very clean recording with excellent detail, sounding similar to Fagen's The Nightfly or Sade's love deluxe. Though I think with some tracks, like "Walk of Life", a more "dirty" sound may have better matched the musical mood better.

7. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Since this is a low-res PCM recording, I'll just pick up the domestic Warner Bros DoubleDisc DVD-A instead of importing the SACD.

This album has no original analog waveform to reconstruct. If we're talking about analog recordings, that's fine, but it has nothing to do with this album.

8. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Is this speculation on your part or did an official source offer this?

9. Michael St. Clair

Another member here said this:

I'd have to think that is coming from here. And the album is on Warner Bros here, so forget about a domestic SACD.

10. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Thanks. After so many announcements of certain titles and then nothing appears, I am becoming pretty skeptical about things like this. But that Amazon listing sounds pretty solid. :thumbsup:

BTW: not that its the best video ever made or anything, but back in '85 when I saw the computer animation on "Money For Nothing" I was totally amazed (and this is when MTV actually played music! :eek: ). I wonder if it took a computer that could fill a living room to do that back then? :)

11. Russea

Russea Active Member

There is no such release listed on Amazon UK yet-I've been checking every source I know of and haven't been able to find the surround version in either format.Hope someone will post it if a source turns up

12. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Exactly. This would only make sense if the chain would look like this: PCM >> D/A conversion >> A/D conversion for SACD using DSD... I would be surprised if that is how it was done.

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Micheal, eelkiller corrected himself... read his later post....there is no import double disc.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Here you go Michael.....

15. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Neither did the Steve Earl, it is originally digital (my earlier post in this thread) but the SACD definitely sounds better.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

O.K., so where is the Brothers in Arms SACD going to be released? I can't see Warner releasing it in the U.S. Perhaps it will only be released on Vertigo overseas.

17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

And here in Canada like the earlier re-mastered catalogue was on Vertigo a few years ago. They were released about a year before the US releases were. In this case due to rights and the fact that it's SACD, it may never be released in the U.S.A.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

this is definitely an overseas only release for now. But how Warner's can ignore it for domestic release is beyond me. Instant money!

19. Michael St. Clair

And was it subject to any different EQ or other changes from the CD master? The argument that simply resampling low-res PCM to DSD yields improvements is tenuous at best. Likewise, PCM upsampling for DVD-A is not universally praised.

I'm sure the inevitiable (if unannounced) Warner DVD-A will sound different from the CD as well. It's nice that buyers will be able to choose between the two formats.

Who says they will ignore it? See the Knopfler DVD-A DoubleDiscs...

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That's what I am saying. It will come out here.

21. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

So, let me see if I have this correct. You criticise transference of PCM -> DSD for being different from the original, but then laud a transfer to analogue and then to DSD? :confused:

Anyway, it's long been my opinion that PCM transfered to DSD often sounds better than the straight PCM source. I believe that this has nothing to do with DSD 'magically' adding anything, but, rather, taking away something. What it takes away, is the extra step of quantisation which, IMO, is where a large portion of the ills in the PCM format occur. I think this has an even greater impact than brick-wall filters, especially at the higher sampling rates.

In any case, I am glad to see that this release is coming to Hi-Res in surround and that and SA-CD will be available. I would have purchased it even if it were DVD-A, but DualDisc will never draw a quid from wallet.

22. GoldenBoy

I agree. The current D/A's will not add a thing; instead they will do a better job of constructing the information that is already there (i.e. less jitter, better s/n, better and less need of error correction and so on).

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

If it's the only way to get this in 5.1 affordably, I'll have to get it on Dualdisc.....IF it's released that way. Customs charges could make the SACD very costly for me and other Canucks.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good point. I should have said "constructing" instead of "reconstructing". The analogue is required because:

25. GoldenBoy

I feel your pain, trust me, but I am not going to spend good money on a release that may or may not play in my players and thereby support such a flaky format. I have, at this point, been able to play the CD side of only one DualDisc and that was only in my Mac. I have also had problems with at least one DVD side. Fortunately, I actually only paid for one of these discs, the others were all borrowed from a friend who, BTW, also has problems playing them in his car. So, for me, DualDisc = NoDisc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.