Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms 5.1 coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by texquad, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I'll Clarify: There have been classical releases in sacd over the past year. There has not been a lot of Rock and Roll to buy on SACD within the past year.
    Brother in Arms is a SACD worth buying.

2. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

OK. I thought you were talking about the entire scope of SACDs, not just current releases.

3. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I don´t have this album and this will be (if released) a great time to buy it, just for the hybrid layer for now (don´t have a SACD player). BUT, do you guys think, that a 16/44.1 PCM recording could benefit if transfered to DSD, and if so, why?

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

There will be no benefit to transferring a 16/44.1 original recording to DSD. Transcoding will only alter the original recording, which is something that should never be lauded.

I am looking forward most to the new 5.1 mix. There is an opportunity here for some neat multichannel mixes, depending on who actually does the work.

I would bet this will be released by Warner in the U.S as a double disc set with a CD and DVD-A. I am a bit skeptical about only one month's notice before release as no retailer has yet to place this up for pre-order, but we shall see.

J

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is not absolutely true. By transferring the 16/44.1 digital recording to DSD you eliminate the brickwall effect from the playback equipment. This usally offers a smoother top end.

6. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Smoother top end: That´s what some people don´t like about the XRCD, because is too bright? So the PCM<DSD transfer could "help" to make this album more warm sounding and less shrill?

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

You are also then presenting a recording which is different then the original master (albeit a very good copy). It's a pick your poison scenario.

J

8. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

The only CD + DVD I could find on that website was just a CD + DVD from about 6 mos. ago. What is the link for the DVD Audio one you found?

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sorry about that. I just checked again and no listing. I may have been thinking of the upcoming Sailing To Philadelphia CD + DVD Audio set :sigh:

10. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Could a Gort please correct the spelling of DIRE STRAITS in this thread's title, please? Thank you.

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

:eek: :eek: :agree:

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Different how???

13. Dave D

Dave D Done!

When's the last time you saw a non hybrid sacd get released?

14. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

How was it spelled originally? I didn't notice.

15. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

The only "brickwall" I'm thinking of is the one built into the original 44.1KHz recording - as in, there's nothing above 22,050Hz...period. Is DSD suppose to somehow magically add something back in that's not there to begin with?

Just wondering.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Who mixed the Knopfler 5.1 stuff and is it any good? Guess I'd be dreaming if I hoped Scheiner did Brothers in Arms....

17. fathom

fathom Senior Member

This might be a demo-quality SACD as far as surround. Theres are plenty of interesting things they can do with these recordings. It's a playful album and I hope they get playful with the surround mix.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep.......So Far Away should be nice with those synth sounds coming and going......Money for Nothing...well, the intro alone will be worth hearing....the song Brothers in Arms should be pretty amazing. PLEASE let it be a fairly aggresive 5.1 mix!

19. Justin Lane

Justin Lane New Member

DSD does not equal 16/44.1 PCM. Same goes if the album was presented at 24/192 PCM on a DVD-A.

A digital recording has only one original master... that word length and sampling frequency it was originally recorded. Anything other than this is definitely not the original, regardless of the quality.

J

20. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Mark Knopfler's "Shangri-La" SACD was engineered by Chuck Ainlay, with additional engineering from Guy Fletcher, who was the keyboard player for Dire Straits on "Brothers In Arms". The album was mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering.

21. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

No, but based on the available Sony digital recording equipment at the time (e.g., a Sony PCM-3324), it's very likely to be 44.1/16. (It's possible that it's 48/16, but I can't find reliable specs for the PCM-3324 to confirm 48kHz capability. It's probable that several versions of the machine were released with different specs. Speculation on speculation...)

Speaking of which:

http://www.airstudios.com/sale.shtml

Sony PCM3324
    24 track digital recorder.
    Full working condition complete with remote.
    £2000

S'pose that's the one it was recorded on? :shh:

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Currently there are 2,942 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net, and with May 9th being just a month away, will "Brothers In Arms" become the 3,000th SACD titles released?

23. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The Steve Earle 'Guitar Town' SACD was derived from an original recording that was done on a Mitsubishi X-800 32 track digital machine by Chuck Ainlay with overdubs by Ainlay, Russ Martin and Steve Tillish.

It was re-mastered for SACD by Glenn Meadows using a JVC 900 to analogue to DSD at Masterfonics.

The SACD sounds fantastic and is a definite improvement over the earlier Redbook.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Dire Straits on Super Audio? Glorious. :D

25. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Recording engineer (Telarc) Michael Bishop's post on audioasylum.com regarding upcoming "BIA" surround mix on SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.