deHavilland Electric Amplifier Company says hello to SH.tv

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deHavilland, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I noticed that as well. I started mine out on a pair of bookshelf speakers that are normally very hard to drive and the 845 amps had no problem...

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Totally disagree with Lee here about the Von Schweikert VR-4JR's. I've heard them in small hotel rooms too and also at a friends house down the road. For that price point (and even higher), it's the best speaker I've heard. I think the problem at Audio shows (outside of the horrible acoustics) is that the more expensive VR's are right next door or in the same room and the 4Jr's fall short in comparison.

3. audio

audio New Member

Friends,

I spoke with Kara earlier this evening. George is off-line temporarily due to a minor surgery procedure. He should be back in a few days to reply and interact with us here. In the meantime, let us all wish him well and hope for a speedy recovery.:)

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I drove my Quad ESL-63's with one Berning EA-230 (30 watts triode) and it was incredible....

5. deHavilland

deHavilland New Member Thread Starter

Hello, I am back and doing well, thank you. About the Hyperion speakers. This was one of the VERY few times we used a speaker that we had not auditioned first for a show. If we were to ever use them for a show again we would do some serious massaging and hot rodding to get the speaker optimized to their full potential. The only point I want to make about the Hyperion's is that they do so much right from their lower bass through the midrange. Kara has gotten them in and has already taken them apart. She thinks the midrange is fast enouph to mate to some Raven ribbon tweeters. Will keep you posted. I really like the Devore Gibbon Super 8's. Thank you for the reminder. We really love our hot rodded 87 db Nola Viper Elite Signatures. They have served us well for several shows. Highly recommended. I think that the Nola Viper series sound great and are easy to drive. So low power solid state or low power tube amps can be matched up with them very nicely. I love the dipole effect with these Nola speaker systems. It really makes for a fantastic soundstage if you set the speakers up properly. We are also thinking of showing with the newest $13K Nola Viper Reference loudspeaker system. We used them at the 2005 RMAF. Carl Marchisotto hinted he still needed to do some massaging on the xover. Carl really knows what he is doing and for sure will get it right soon enouph. The Viper References should be formidable. Also I have to admit the Wilson Benesch Curves and Acts we used at the2005 RMAF are some really nice speakers and work really well with our amps. They are diminutive in size beacause of their all steel and carbon fiber construction. But I guarantee, the sound is not small. These speakers just seem to do everything very right. Definitely world class loudspeakers. Very highly recommened.
    Thank you and sincerely,
    George Kielczynski

6. deHavilland

I personally like horn speakers and am willing to live with their obvious tradeoffs. Our amps really work great with high efficiency horns. I love many of the horn speakers out there. Kara ,on the other hand, does not like speaker colorizations or tea cup effects. As the Chief Engineer, Kara has the final say in what loudspeakers we use at the shows. None the less, we did show with Jacob George's Rythm 2 loudspeakers at VSAC with extreme success. I liked the Rythm 2 enouph to want to own them. We have a also showed with Classic Audio Reproduction speakers with great success. Would love to own a pair of them too!!!
    Sincerely,
    George

7. deHavilland

Good point , thank you for the input.
    Sincerely,
    George

8. deHavilland

We know that all of our amps do very well at driving the very wonderful Quad speakers at normal listenning levels. I have heard them mated to the latest new models as well as the vintage models. Very highly recommended combo.

George

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

George,

Those Rythm 2's are great speakers. Jeff Dorgay of TONE Audio mag uses a pair. Very nice. I think they need a biggish room to work their magic.

10. deHavilland

Yes, the Quads work great with our amps. Could be another serious consideration for Las Vegas. Do you think the 989's would be the best bet. Oh, and the Maggie's are fantastic, but from what Kara tells me they are one speaker that is VERY hard to drive. Need many many watts.

George

11. deHavilland

Part of our mission statement is to specialize in high power SET Zero NFB amps that would work well with medium efficiency speakers as well as high efficiency loudspeakers. Some of us spend years finding a speaker we really like. Then some of us get turned on to SET Zero NFB 300B amps but find they just do not got the oomph to drive those 87db speakers we love. What we have done at deHavilland is try to fill that niche. SET Zero NFB tube amps with the OOOMPH to drive those speakers we just do not want to part with. Most people do not believe it, but the proof is in the demo's we give at the shows. Eventually the word will get out there.

Thank you and sincerely,

George

12. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

I know of a Klipsch Forum member who also agrees with your horn assessment and drives his Klipschorns with your 845 SE amp with much success. I'd love to hear my Klipsch Cornwalls driven with the same 845 amp. Bet my 96dB single driver Loth-X Amaze monitors would sound equally stunning with it as well!

Too bad Kara's not a horn fan, but I can forgive her for that fault...LOL! :p (just kiddin').

13. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

those are beautiful!
    shimmy that decimal to the left for a high school student?

14. audio

audio New Member

:laugh: Dream on!;)

15. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.