Deep Purple - In Rock - Audio Fidelity Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

At this time, is there a rough estimate of when this should be available?

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I just got and listened to WDWTWA in the last few days. I can't believe I didn't jump on this earlier. CAN'T WAIT for In Rock !

3. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Original post says July.

4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

5. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

I join all of you in the general excitement for an AF of In Rock, I'll certainly be purchasing a copy... I will also join those who vote for Fireball, I for one would like to see that one more than In Rock...

But I think I'd be more excited about Burn, Stormbringer and/or Come Taste The Band... uh, let's add Made In Europe while I'm at it...
    Those were better recordings to begin with, and the AF/SH work could make Stormbringer or Made In Europe positively gorgeous...

Burn deserves a better CD than the recent remaster, which was a missed opportunity...

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I can't recommend Stormbringer for an AF remaster. Why? The EMI remaster sounds pretty good... an original UK CD is only slightly better.

I only can recommend Fireball and Burn... both EMI remasters sound bad, and I mean really bad.

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My thoughts exactly. :righton:

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I wish AF would remaster the entire catalgoue (including singles) until 1974.

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Any idea how an original U.S. WB disc of "Burn" would compare?

10. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Had the pleasure of seeing them live for the first time on the 23rd March 1970 in the Music Hall in Aberdeen. Think my ticket stub is still about the house someplace.

Fabulous gig.

Then saw them again the same year in October in Aberdeen.

The following year it was off to the old Glasgow Greens for the gig. I also saw Humble Pie there.

I missed them when they came back north of the border in '72

Still one my favourite bands.

Really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of In Rock.

11. kevin5brown

I just compared this vs the original palm trees WB lp. The lp won, hands down. This CD is probably the best available, but it's not close to the lp. The EMI UK CD for Stormbringer is very close to the lp though.

I'd rather see SH and AF do Burn for the very reason that there isn't a good CD of this out there right now.

EMI UK for Stormbringer is fine. EMI UK for Fireball and the US WB for Machine Head are both fine.

12. Still one of my biggest regrets that I never saw them live, can't wait to get my hands on the AF. :righton:

13. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Not to drag another thread in here, but this AF In Rock is just one more reason for me to say "screw vinyl" and concentrate on the best digital I can find... if I gotta pick 'n' choose on a budget, I vote Speed King.

I'll also cast my vote for completing the MkII titles before all others.

Fireball – easy choice.
    Machine Head – am I the only one not bowled over by the DVD-A hi-res 2ch?
    Made In Japan – hey, they're re-doing Pet Sounds, why not this highly-sought title?
    WDWTWA – done!

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't have an original US pressung... I only have the Warner-Japan pressing (mastered by Lee Herschberg)... which sounds better as the EMI remaster. Warm and more analogue like, but doesn't have the crispy, compressed sound.

15. jon9091

I have a US WB pressing. I also have the Warner-JPN pressing, the EMI pressing, a Purple Records pressing from Holland, the JPN Mini LP pressing, the 30th Anniversary pressing, and original palm trees vinyl, and original Purple records vinyl....they all sound like crap IMO! It's a lousy production from Martin Birch. This record will never sound warm and analog because of it's inherent lack of mid bass. It's just a thin sounding production.

16. kevin5brown

Jon- Out of the Burn CDs you have, which one do you like best?

17. jon9091

I think I forgot one I have. I also have the early JPN pressing 20P2-2608. I guess that would be about the best. But the differences between that version and the original WB are so microscopic....I'd probably save myself the time and money and get the WB. You'll probably pay up to $30 more for the JPN version and it certainly doesn't sound $30 better IMO.

18. kevin5brown

Thanks Jon. I have the US WB, and I think it's just OK. But I have a needle drop I've been listening to for years that simply sounds ... better. :)

19. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Take Who Do We Think We Are, for example... that album was well recorded and sounded pretty nice on the original CD already, but aren't we glad to have the AF/SH version?

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

right... but I sold my original a long time ago - shame on my head :shh:

So I was happy AF did the Gold release, which sounds clearly better against the EMI remaster.

But as I said... I always prefer AF reissues, where the remaster sounds bad. If AF would do Stormbringer.... I would pass.

21. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I agree with Claus, there would be little point doing AF Gold versions of albums which already sound good. Stormbringer and CTTB (20P2 japan version) are more than fine. The original WDWTWA on EMI sounds great, so the Gold was really a marginal improvement.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Deep Purple In Rock Gold CD

Hey guys, I know this has been talked about before, but this is the new info from an e-mail I got from AF.

Hello, is Deep Purple-In Rock Gold CD still set to be released this
    summer? Thank you for your time.

Absolutely. We have it scheduled for end of May or beginning of June.
    Stay tuned.

How cool is that!

23. NICE.....

24. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I really wish our host was doing vinyl on this title too! He would make it really clobber!

25. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Another to add to my cllection! Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.