Deep Purple - In Rock - Audio Fidelity Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

This is just a general comment, but I wish oh wish that Steve was allowed (or offered to), to do their entire catalog. Or, just the super important (to me :) ) Mk II releases, In Rock through WDWTWA. We get the bookend releases for now, but I wish for them all. I would give my left arm for a Made in Japan by him.

2. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Start cutting. :) It's out there. Steve did Made in Japan for DCC.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

What the Hell are you saying? :confused:

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Uhh..Steve DID do "Made In Japan" :)

5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I've gotta say, of all the DCC releases, "Made In Japan" is one that I found least impressive. And I don't mean that it doesn't sound great, it most certainly does. It's just that the old WB CD compares very favorably & can be had for $5 or $10, used.

I would never pay the prices going for a DCC "Made in Japan".
    I have compared the two, & I am more than happy with my old WB disc. If I found a DCC for some bizarre reason for $30 or $40, I would pick it up, but that's about it.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

:agree:

Here's the DCC release date and catalog numbers to help kevin5brown track down a used copy. Hope you have a spare $300-500, kevin5brown, and don't have to resort to sawing off your arm to make that purchase . . . .

1998, LP: Deep Purple - Made in Japan (LPZ2-2052)
    1998, gold CD: Deep Purple - Made in Japan (GZS-1120)

Two gold CDs on Half.com for around $300 each:
    http://product.half.ebay.com/Made-in-Japan-Gold-Disc-CD_W0QQprZ3277305QQtgZinfo

Craig(VC).

7. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

This is certainly good news as this was my favourite disc during my secondary school years.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Duh, I was missing the connection between the DCC and Steve. :hide:

But at $300, I think I can live with the old WB. :D

Just need Fireball and Machine Head now. :righton:

9. motorcitydave

'Machine Head' would have been a better choice. It's a much better recorded album.

10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Why do I get this strange feeling you don't like the sound of In Rock very much?

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Killer/Schools Out why not In Rock/MachineHead? :)

12. I agree that it is a better recorded album, but they are already very good masterings out there (original WB CD Japan, original EMI CD, DVD-A). I am sure that Steve probably could still top them (although the DVD-A sounded better to me than an early vinly pressing high-rez needledrop).

On the other hand, I think Steve can improve "In Rock" quite a bit over the existing CD versions. The only acceptable CD version in my opinion is the EMI UK, but I am sure that Steve can pull out much more from the master tapes.

Will a Steve mastered "In Rock" sound as good as the regular CD of "Machine Head"? No, I don't think so, but that is not the point.

"Deep Purple In Rock" is the one Deep Purple Ml. II CD that most desperately needs a good CD mastering. "Fireball" would also be nice to have (but I would prefer the UK track listing, or even better, include the SKOW single as a bonus track). I think the EMI CD of "Fireball" is quite decent, but I am sure it could be further improved.

Then there is "Burn" which doesn't sound very good on CD, and I remember my old vinyl to sound great and much better. So that one would also benefit greatly from a SH treatment.

I am very happy with the original "Stormbringer", no need for a remastering there in my opinion.

Some of the Mk. I albums could use a great CD mastering. There are some decent versions, but when I listen to the Steve mastered versions of "Hush" and "River Deep Mountain High", they sound so much better. Licensing for the first three Deep Purple albums might also be easier to get (just an assumption, but they were already able to license two tracks for the SACD). I would really appreciate "Deep Purple" (third album) to be mastered by Steve.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Good points Roland. Spot on.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The US WB cd of Fireball also sounds good to my ears.

15. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

There is a DCC version of Machine Head, but I'm afraid that giving your left are is not nearly enough. Better start thinking about sacrificing some other body parts. :wave:

16. Have you ever directly compared it to the UK EMI CD?

I like the EMI much better.

17. I don't think so. You are probably referring to "Made in Japan".

18. motorcitydave

:laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I dig the album a lot, but the sound is not so good. It doesn't take someone with bat ears to notice this.

Anyway, I've driven this point into the ground. I trust that Steve will make this at least sound decent. :cool:

19. motorcitydave

I concur.

20. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

This is very good news indeed. Although I will say I'm not a fan of all the Alice Cooper reissues they are doing. Not because they dont sound good but because I'm not an Alice cooper fan :laugh: Lets do some other artists people! :hide: I am still really anxious to find out which Grand Funk Railroad they are doing.

21. evad

evad Well-Known Member

We're An American Band

22. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Oops....I did mean Made in Japan. I tried to make a joke and ended up being a joke. Sorry about that.

23. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Oh! :eek: So you're telling me those two bonus tracks are from the original albums and not the BBC concert?! If that's the case, I might have to track this one down...

24. Yes, these are studio recordings.

25. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Source?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.