Deep Purple - In Rock - Audio Fidelity Gold CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChrisM, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

What songs are on In Rock?

2. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I would love to see all four of their studio albums on Audio Fidelity, but I guess it's unlikely that the often-reissued and iconic Machine Head would be allowed? (I'll remain hopeful though.
    Craig(VC).[/QUOTE]

I would love to see "Machine Head" as well. I don't even have this on CD, and I don't dare buy the remaster after I heard the way the "Made In Japan" remaster sounded. My "MIJ" original CD has a much lighter, smoother, and less fatiguing sound than the remaster. "In Rock" would be great. And I need to find an original, un-remastered "Machine Head CD. All I have is a vinyl copy and a 320kbps needledrop that I found online. I do have "The Very Best Of Deep Purple" which has a great track selection but it's remastered. BTW, I never noticed that "Kentucky Woman" was in mono (Not great-sounding on the remaster - I wish I had hung on to my old Purple CD's instead of selling them when I bought the remasters). It's amazing how well I've managed to train my ears since I joined this website.

I remember when I was 5, I inherited an 8-track of "Deep Purple In Rock". It was the first Purple album I heard all the way through. Before that, all I had heard was Smoke On The Water", "Highway Star", and "Woman From Tokyo" on the radio.

3. Following In Rock, Fireball would certainly be my top choice as well.

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

In Rock and Fireball are certainly the two that need The Treatment the most..

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I don't think it's been officially announced, but most people suspect Rebel Yell.

6. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

All this Deep Purple talk is making me think about treble boosters (Richie's dirt pedal of choice).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6q4EJODpnU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPINNlRBWCg&feature=channel

http://www.treblebooster.net/ (BSM treble boosters - They make all kinds, including several different models of the type Ritchie used - He uses one of their HS-C models, which is a remake of his old Hornby Skewes one)

I'm a huge fan of Ritchie Blackmore's tone (Strat>Hornby Skewes treble booster>Marshall Major amp). My treble booster is an Analog Man Beano Boost (w/ NOS Newmarket NKT275 germanium transistor).

7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right.... the EMI remasters are horrible. The MH Anniversary remaster/remix is ok, compared against the sonic disaster of In Rock/Fireball

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Great news~!! We were taking about this the other week on the requests thread right Claus? Cooool!

And I hope they are using the longer UK version also. While Black Night would make it perfect I am more excited that AF might be using they UK version.

And Im with you guys that are voting for Fireball as a choice also.

I Love it To Death ( hint hint on the Coop) that they are doing "In Rock"! ;)

9. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I'll never understand why Deep Purple are so popular in the USA, yet in the UK I have never met anyone who likes them!

10. Jontario

Jontario Member

Fantastic news about "In Rock"!:)

I wonder what happened to the "Fireball" remaster Steve hinted at back when they were doing "Who do we thik we are", perhaps they couldn't find the proper master tapes?

11. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Typical. :laugh:

12. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

This is really good news. I grew up with the great records of Deep Purple MKII and would really love an audiophile treatment by Steve on these albums.

Hopefully they can squeese in some extras as well.:righton:

13. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

THis is great news. My UK original sounds like mud. This is one of the few albums wher I usually grab the anniversary CD over the LP when I want to hear it. Can't wait to hear what Steve will do with it.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:confused:

I "hate" the remaster.... the unremastered CD sounds better (IMO)

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

In Rock, Fireball. Now that's Deep Purple.

16. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

25th anniversary edition

1. Speed King
    2. Bloodsucker
    3. Child in Time
    4. Flight of the Rat
    5. Into the Fire
    6. Living Wreck
    7. Hard Lovin' Man
    8. Black Night
    9. Studio Chat
    10. Speed King
    11. Cry Free
    12. Jam Stew
    13. Studio Chat
    14. Flight of the Rat
    15. Studio Chat
    16. Speed King
    17. Black Night

17. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Are these the same remasters that were used for the Warner/Rhino "The Very Best Of Deep Purple" that came out in 2000? It's amazing how you can think something sounds "great" and then 5 years later you realize it sounds really "not-great" My ears have learned so much in the last year.

18. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I think he means in comparison to his original vinyl copy. Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have. I wish I had all original CD's (not to mention great-sounding vinyl copies) for all the Purple albums. The only vinyl Purple I have is a '74-'75 "Machine Head" and an original pressing of "Come Taste The Band". They sound pretty good actually.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I wouldn't count on the intro to "Speed King" being included here. WB tapes and all.

This is great news, however, and I'll certainly be buying it, "woffle" or no "woffle." :righton:

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

You gotta have the woffle.:righton:

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve should tell us... what tapes he will use? Warner never used the O-tapes for the american pressings

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Adding "Black Night" and "Cry Free" would be nice, but I'm not expecting it. They didn't add "Painted Horse" to WDWTWA. Nevertheless, this is easily the most exciting AF release yet :goodie:

23. rym9

rym9 Member

god...In Rock would be awesome

guarenteed to be a huge seller (i compare this album to paranoid and led zep II). it would ship a lot of units which would help AF out!

my only request:
    use the orginal UK tapes with the 'long' version of speed king
    have the single 'black night' as a bonus track a'la get up jake on the band 'brown' album due out soon

good work Steve, Marshall and the AF team if this does come to fruition!:righton:

24. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Thanks. I did mean in comparison to the muddy sounding LP. The remaster isn't perfect but ... The UK Purple Records version of Machine Head is awesome but any version I've heard sounds pretty good.

25. There is only one original master tape of this album, and it's not the one that WB used.

This release must contain the full version of Speed King. It's the way it was intended by the band and how it is on the original master tape.

Since Steve said he will only master from the original master tape for all AF Gold CD's and that he refuses to use any digital workstation, I don't think he will perform the fade-in which appears on the WB releases in the analog domain. I think we can trust his judgement on this.

It's not even a question in my opinion. The fade-in on the WB version is so lame, it completely removes the intended impact of that album (start with "Crash and burn").

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.