Deep Purple - History, Hits & Highlights 68-76 double DVD on 1st June!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

According to dvdpricesearch.com, DVD Planet has it for $17.71 (free shipping on >$35 orders; not sure if that applies to pre-orders) and $19.23 at DVD Empire.

Keep in mind that DD and DVD Planet generally have a 20-25% off sale starting the first week in June.

2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

What's this?
    I've heard about that infamous performance but I can't recall details

Is that on the Listen, Read On Boxset cover?

3. ponkine

So, today is the UK release.

have you got it yet? :righton:

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Yes, it's on the cover of the "Listen, Learn, Read On" boxset.

The infamous Japan concert where Deep Purple didn't come back for an encore and so (or Ah-So), the crowd destroyed the arena.

5. Jontario

Jontario Member

I’ve had a chance to watch both DVD’s now. I have never seen about 95% of the material on this release, so it’s very interesting stuff. :)

The two MK 4 songs are really enjoyable to see, but my favourite right now has to be the two versions of Wring That Neck, from the second disc, one from Bilzen Jazz 1969, and the other from “Pop Duex” from 1970. Blackmore is especially good on these, really like the way he used to sound with the Gibson. The Playboy footage is also great to see. Looks like Ritchie is playing through a Fender Bassman amp for that show. Also gives Hef a guitar lesson.:)

I also notice in the credits that this disc has also been authored for Blu-Ray, haven't seen any mention of an upcoming Blu-Ray release.

6. ponkine

Thanks for the info!

really cool stuff.
    My friend, does this package comes with booklet or something? any easter eggs? What about that rumored Made In Japan 8 mm stuff?

:wave:

7. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Someone on the UK Amazon says the Mk4 Smoke On The Water has the Mk2 studio version playing over it... can you confirm or deny this for me please?

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Oh boy, I hope that's not true ........ :(

9. Jontario

Jontario Member

I found the Made In Japan footage is very interesting, but unfortunately only about 90 seconds appears on the DVD. I hope there is more of this footage available, whoever owns it is sitting on a gold mine. I assume they dubbed the audio, because its much better than any super 8 footage I’ve seen. It shows mostly Gillan singing the first verse of Highway Star.

There is a 7 page booklet, but nothing really remarkable about it. It’s mostly a scrap book of various articles and ticket stubs from the various years. There is a brief overview written by Geoff Barton. Something I never knew was that the plane that Purple used to use on there tours (the one we see on Cal Jam) is the very one that crashed with the band Lynyrd Synyrd on board.:eek:

As for “Easter Eggs” I haven’t seen any, there is a short interview with former manager Tony Edwards but that’s more of a rotten egg!:shh:

10. Jontario

Jontario Member

That’s true, it is Mk2 performance that is overdubbed while the video shows MK4. This is from a New Zealand TV Documnentary, and is on DVD #2.

DVD #1 has MK4 performing live versions of Love Child and You Keep On Moving. I've only watched this once, but I thought these performances were well done. Coverdale especialy strong.

11. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Thanks a lot for your reply, Jontario! :thumbsup:

12. zen

zen Senior Member

I loved it overall. One highlight was No, No, No (Take 1 & 2) on DVD 2. Low point, having the same live version of Burn (from Leeds) on both DVD's.

13. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:confused: WTH! I think putting Cal Jam Mistreated on was a bit of a liberty (as the fans,whom this is aimed at, will already have it) but why the heck repeat a track..that must be a mistake by the publisher. Maybe they were meant to put Cal Jam Burn on DVD1 and the Leeds poly version on DVD2.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

What would have been nice, was use the VHS version of California Jam for Burn on DVD 1, with it's different shots and mix. Mistreated could have also been given the same treatment, but none the less, a wonderful collection.

15. jymy

jymy Senior Member

How's the sound quality?

16. Jontario

Jontario Member

I loved the No No No as well. I must admit, on first viewing, I didn't catch what the problem was with the 1st take? Was it to long perhaps?

What an entertaining band!:thumbsup:

17. zen

zen Senior Member

The first take of No No No seemed like a breakdown. And yes, an entertaining band to say the least.

The sound quality was excellent, but I was hearing it through a small but decent TV speaker. I didn't have a chance to view it on our "entertainment" center. It always seems like someone else is using it. :(

18. Jontario

Jontario Member

Generally speaking, I think the sound is not really that good on this DVD, overly bright and hard sounding highs. The only audio option is Dolby Digital Stereo. It’s not great audio by any means, but considering the material, I’ll gladly live with it. Just my opinion.

As I mentioned in a previous post, it does say that they have authored a Blu-Ray version, so that may have some better audio options if it ever gets released.

I compared Lazy from the new DVD to the same Copenhagen version on the first archive release. The 1st release has PCM stereo and I think it sounds a bit better, more musical to my ears.

The first two archive DVD’s were both mastered by Steve Scanlon in Australia. This new one is done by Martin Pullen from a different company (Eden Sound). This is the same guy that did the remix’s of Live in Stockholm and Live in Paris 1975.

19. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

OK, I see what you are saying. The Copenhagen release has mono audio, but they used PCM to encode it instead of Dolby Digital.

20. street legal

I just received this in the mail yeaterday. I haven't gotten a chance to watch any of it yet, but I love the packaging, & especially the inner booklet, which is great! It only contains a lackluster 2 page essay, but that is followed by quite a few pages of color pics of the band throughout all of their different phases, concert posters, newspaper articles, etc. I love it! :)

Way too many music DVD's these days have nothing in the way of artwork or liner notes, but it's great to see it every once in awhile, as on this DVD. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to watch some of it tonight. :)

21. WickedUncleWndr

WickedUncleWndr New Member

I'm getting this right away! I saw the Bilzen footage for "Wring that Neck", and it tore my head off. Any metal guitarist that came of age in the late 70's and beyond owes quite a lot to Ritchie Blackmore. I remember when Yngwie Malmsteen was THE guy to amateur guitarists in high school. Meanwhile I was listening to "Made in Japan" trying to convince several of my friends that Malmsteen wasn't the first to enter this territory. Now that I've seen it visually, I knew I was right.

22. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Just had a brief watch on this DVD and it seems really interresting. However, why are there no information where the tracks on disc 1 are from? At least I cannot find it anywhere?

23. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

24. street legal

I finally just got a chance to watch some of this. I watched the entire first DVD, actually. The 20 minute "history" segment was lacking, I was hoping for something a bit better there, but that's just a little "extra" anyway, as far as I'm concerned. Overall, I'm real happy with what I've seen so far. There are a couple of lip synched clips, & it's too bad that the version of "Lazy" is the same one as on the "Live in Concert 1972/1973" DVD, but otherwise there's some excellent material here. The video & audio quality is sometimes a bit spotty, but for the most part it is more than acceptable, & in most cases, very good. The 12 minute version of "Mandrake Root" is one of the highlights for me & is truly worth the price of admission alone. If you are more than a casual Deep Purple fan & are on the fence regarding this DVD set ......... go for it. I doubt you'd regret it! :)

25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Great set, although I think live or promo versions of 'Stormbringer' and 'Woman From Tokyo' should have been included!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.