Death to false yacht rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

A way to get rid of it-Get rid of those Yachters!:laugh: Just try to get rid of 'em!:laugh:

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I've NEVER been on a yacht, and love this music. I've lived in the inner city most of my life, so I hate the term yacht rock; a term which I believe was bequeathed by the loathsome hipsters.

3. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Along with the dreaded "Prog Rock" my two most HATED Phrases!:agree:

4. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Almost everything on that album was "darn catchy." As was their debut Stiff single "Suffice to Say," which requested help, not ELP. ("An SOS from Yachts…")

Not to mention:
    "I wouldn't climb any mountain for you
    Ford any stream, that's a daft thing to do
    Cause I'm cynical, cynical, cynical
    Through and through"​
    Ending with tape manipulation morphing "Love You" into "Litterbug."

Put that on your bloated catamaran!

5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Hipsters invented the term Prog Rock???!!! Ok then...

6. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Never heard of Yacht Rock before! You learn something new every day!

If I was to guess what 'Yacht Rock' was I'd immediately think of Men at Work..... But reading through this thread, I would be obviously wrong!

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Hipsters invented beards, too.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  9. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

That was long, long before prog rock. Probably around the time of trog rocks.

10. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Maybe not prog rock; but I feel that they've had a hand in the term Kraut-rock.

11. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

tg-yachtless.jpg

Ocean liner rock. That image is of France's Normandie.

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I gotta think Jay Ferguson is gold standard of yacht rock, for look, sound and subject matter.

Notice he doesn't have a greatest hits comp out to jump the Yacht Rock trend. Last time I looked he was still offering only the original LPs on CD. That's credibility.

13. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Damn!!! Forgot about that one. "Yachtless = The state of having no yacht."

Ain't no ELP on THAT boat!

14. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

+1 Didn't know it was an actual term until a few posts into this thread.

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Great minds, Colin :laugh::cheers:

16. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

LOVE what people call yacht rock. I always kind of chuckle when other music snobs (because I admit I am one, too) rip on the yacht rock stuff I like because it has nice, shiny production values, a melody that can actually get stuck in your head, and backup singers doing harmony. GOD FORBID MUSIC BE MUSIC AND NOT JUST WEIRD NOISE!!

Okay, I like Soft Machine, Can and Hatfield & The North, too, but still.

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Can I nominate these guys as the bandwagon jumping poseurs? False and fake to the extreme!

Attached Files:

18. antonkk

19. antonkk

Loggins and Messina were Varg and Euronimus of yacht rock!:D

Mooger likes this.
  20. Liz Phair's "pop" album is false yacht rock, but of course all Liz Phair albums suck anyway.

Parts of Red Hot Chili Peppers' "By the Way" get dangerously close to yacht rock, and I like it anyway. It works for them.

21. Nope. Asia isn't close. Way too much stiff British drumming to be yacht rock. John Wetton's voice gets them close, however.

22. Bruce Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love," "Lucky Town," and "Human Touch" are all false yacht rock . . . and bad albums, too.

23. antonkk

But they tried hard and to jump on the bandwagon and commercially succeeded hence the nomination for the "false yacht rock".

24. antonkk

They did a great sunny californian ballad (can't remember it's titles) with something about the sun in the chorus which was a perfect example of how yacht rock could sound in the modern age.

25. antonkk

True norwegian black metal vs True californian yacht rock

Californian yacht rock is much more true simply because it's a much more demanding life-style. To be a true black metal fan all you need is long unwashed hair, a can of corpse paint, a few spikes and an axe. To be a true yacht rock fan you obviously need a beard, a hairy chest, a yacht, an edless supply of coke and a hot blonde.

Californian yacht rock is much more expencive to record - in true norwegian black metal you can spend 100 kronen on entire album and if you don't even have that hundred you can always chop the producer with an axe and claim that the sound was not raw enough. In true californian yacht rock you need to spend at least $1 000 000 on a record with 20 % spent on perfect smooth production and top West Coast session players (Russ Kunkel on drums is mandatory) and rest 80 percent on coke to make it even more smooth.

Both genres need to be atmospheric - in true norwegian black metal all you need is to create an illusion of freezing to death in some remote polar forest accompanied by a couple bears and the entire pantheon of nordistic pagan gods. In true yacht rock you must feel like sailing away into Malibu sunset with a busty blonde as soon as you close your eyes.

In black metal you swear by Venom as the True Godfathers (who never played any black metal though), in yacht rock it's basically the same with the Beach Boys.

In black metal you must die like Mayhem's Dead (blow your brains out in the name of Satan) to be really trOO. In yacht rock Dennis Wilson-style death is a must.

When you die as a trOO black metaller you are carried by valkries to Valhalla. When you die as a trOO yacht rocker you are carried by Malibu life-guards to Hugh Hefner's mansion.

And basically - in black metal your icon is the Belzebub, in yacht rock it's the boobs!

;)

Mooger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.