DC Area Record Show: Sunday June 5th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Make that "grab a bite". Sheesh. Missed the bloody edit deadline again...
    :shh:
    Peace-
    N

2. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Bump...a week away! I can confirm that I will be there.

3. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Bump... I won't be able to make this one (going to All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA :D) but if you want a $1.00 off the $5.00 admission, PM me your email address and I'll send you a coupon.
    later,
    Ken

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

With just four days left, please post here if you plan to attend.

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I'm in! :wave:

6. teaser5

In I am (in my best Yoda voice)
    :wave:
    Peace-
    Norm

7. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I'll be there, looking for vinyl.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

8. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I'll gonna be there. I'm taking my son to the Nationals game and to meet the players at 1030. Which means I'm going to pay the early admission price and get all of the good stuff before you all.

9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

At the moment, I am still planning on coming up on Sunday morning. I manage a Little League team and we may be rained on Saturday. If we are not forced to make up the games on Sunday, I should be there.

Is everyone going to meet somewhere? Since I am coming a long way, so I would like the chance to meet you guys while I am in town.

Jorge

10. teaser5

We're pretty easy to find. We tend to hang together although Ben sneaks off to dig through the boxes of vinyl that sellers keep behind the counter. After a few hours of shopping my eyes tend to burn. I would be up for grabbing some lunch and a beer if a few guys are down
    Peace-
    Norm

11. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It looks like time is going to be a bit tight for me on Sunday, so I may have to drive up and go straight to the airport in the later afternoon. There's a chance, however, that I'll be able to get away early enough to meet up. What time will you all be around the show? I won't know about my timing until that morning, but if I have a time to aim for I might be able to manage.

L.

12. teaser5

I hope to be there when they open. I have to split around one or two cause there's a wine festival in my neighborhood and my buddy's band is playing. Ben's always the first one it :p
    Peace-
    Norm

13. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I should be there around 10am as well. How about a meeting place for those that don't know what we look like? Say, 11ish near the $1 racks?

14. teaser5

I'm on my way! See you kids soon.
    :wave:
    Peace-
    N

15. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Just thought I'd bump this up!

Went to the show this morning and met up with Ben Canas, Norm (teaser5), JorgeGvb (who came up all the way from VA Beach), and Ed (Heavy Distortion). Made some nice finds, highlighted by an original UK "Layla and..." LP for $5. Then we all had lunch across the street where we gossiped about the forum! All in all a good day. :nauga:

P.S., if there were any other forum members there, I apologize as it seems like this thread didn't really organize a meet up and by the time I tried last night it was too late.

16. teaser5

I had a blast and it was great seeing HeavyDistortion, Daveman and Bencanas again and meeting JorgeGvb.
    I copped a ton of records. Among them a sealed "Live Peace In Toronto" with spiral calendar! I will post my other finds later.
    Hope we didn't miss any of you guys
    Cause we sure did talk about you!
    :angel:
    Peace-
    Norm
    ;)

17. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Glad to hear that it was a good time.

Wish I could have been there. :agree:

18. Pug

Only nice things I hope.

19. teaser5

Well we had nice things to say about your dog...
    Nice Pugsley!
    ;)
    N

20. Pug

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbsup:

21. Calgary area CD, Record, Comic & Toy Fair - June 5/05

Forum member jonathan_s and I went to the Calgary CD, Record, Comic & Toy Fair today at the University of Calgary. Wish we could get to the bigger conventions such as the on in DC where we'd probably find a lot more LPs to buy.

Jonathan picked up a few things including a very old Atlantic Records r&b compilation LP and an original U.K. vinyl copy of Joni Mitchell Court And Spark.

The only item I purchased was a VG++ Beatles Revolver mono U.K. 1982 reissue LP. The dealer asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him $30. CDN. He gave it to me. :thumbsup: The same dealer had a near mint W German Apple Beatles Magical Mystery Tour LP for $40. I have two copies already so I passed. He also had the Japanese mini LP sleeve Badfinger and Mary Hopkins Apple CDs. Don't know what they sound like so I passed. It was sure tempting. They looked great. I'm a sucker for min-LP sleeve CDs, especially when they have an OBI strip.

Another table had many audiophile LPs. Was tempted to grab the 200 g CSNY Deja Vu but passed. Couldn't remember if you folks like that one or not. Would have been nice to have a laptop computer with me. I could have dialed up this Web site and searched various titles I came across to see what the consensus was.

22. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

It was a real pleasure meeting you guys today. It was great to put some faces with the people I have been talking to for the past year. The 3 hour drive with well worth it to me! Hopefully more of us can get together in the future.

Jorge

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Sorry, guys, I just decided that I had spent way too much money on CDs these past couple months, between eBay, Dusty Groove, Rhino Handmade, and a final $4.99 blowout at yourmusic.com. Way, way too much. And I have no will power at record shows. Hopefully I'll have been a better boy the next time a regional show is scheduled.

24. teaser5

Hey that's great that you guys Down Under got together! I hope guys in other towns do the same.
    Here's my vinyl haul for the day:

Sealed "Live Peace In Toronto" with spiral calendar $25

Stone mint two disc Japananes Obi set of Chicago's "Golden Grand Prix 30" Hits up to 1977
    Marked $30, paid $20

Mint German Import of Rare Earth's "Ecology" album six bucks

Two disc set of John Stewarts "Phoenix Concerts" with killer version of "Never Goin' Back" $6

Sealed copy of "Happy Daze" by Lindisfarne $7

BST3 sealed $7

Two disc set on Rhino Ricky Nelson "Live" 83-85 $7

Sealed Robert Gordon w/ Link Wray $10

Stone mint copy of Soft Boys "Can of Bees" and near mint "Invisible Hits" both expensive

Shoes "Present Tense" $5 I think the only Shoes album I didn't have...

Jules & Polar Bears "Phonetics" Near Mint promo slight cover crease $5

Leon Russel & Marc Benno "Asylum Choir" cover trashed, vinyl good $5

Flamin Groovies self titled on Kama Sutra ring wear but nice vinyl $20

Tommy James & Shondels "Cellophane Symphony" good $6.00 and "Mony Mony" good $7.00 both on Roulette

Mint X "See How We Are" $5

Nice Band on WB green label "Big Pink" $5

Long Ryders "10-5-60" sealed $5.00

Beautiful cutout copy of Dream Syndicate "Out of the Grey" that I might already have $6.00

Kossoff "Back Street Crawler" record good, cover OK $6.00 Lent this to someone over twenty years ago. My luck it was probably this copy.

Beautiful half speed master of Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees" $7.00

Oddly my only jazz title: Ahmad Jamal w/ voices "Cry Young" sealed mono on Cadet $7.00

And there you have it. A nice couple hours worth of shopping if I do say so. I also saw a lot of cool stuff that I just didn't need. Buddy Miles "Them Changes", Ten Wheel Drive, Terry Reid, first It's a Beautiful Day.

A funny thing I saw a lot of today was rips of bootlegs. Is that a hoot or what?
    Guys are now selling bootleg bootlegs. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to do it again!
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've always wondered why people didn't just start ripping off bootlegs. What's the bootegger going to do -- take you to court for stealing his stolen property?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.