David Gilmour new album Luck And Strange 6 September 2024 + live shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Apr 8, 2022.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

LOL. That would be a great idea. The concert starts, David shows up on stage and starts playing the Echoes, One of these days, Time, Money and Comfortably Numb guitar solos.

Then, he and the band begin the real concert with post 1986 Floyd and David solo tracks.

Frank Lee Scarlett and ARK like this.
  2. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

Good point!

micpoc likes this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Or Polly writes new lyrics for Comfortably Numb!

ARK likes this.
  4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I'm sure you're not alone. For me, though, it wouldn't be a factor. I love AMLOR in particular and think there are several songs on there that not only have stood the test of time but could also take on different facets if he brought them out now with slightly different arrangements. Like "Sorrow" on the last tour where Chester Kamen was playing some of the stuff that was originally sequenced.

Also, though I know neither of those Pink Floyd albums is considered a classic on the same level as the 70s material, they were very successful. "On the Turning Away" is a fairly popular track and David only briefly did an unrehearsed version in 2006, "Keep Talking" is also occasionally heard on the radio. "Louder Than Words" was considered for the last tour but not played, I'd sure like having a live version of it, dodgy lyrics and all. "A Great Day for Freedom" was reworked for the Ukraine charity single (and, again, only played sporadically prior to that), so that's another song he might do.

I think it's possible to put together a very attractive setlist based mostly on those albums.
    People also keep ignoring the fact that David doesn't really want to sing lyrics he doesn't like, and there were cases where he told Polly he couldn't sing them like with the first version of "The Girl in the Yellow Dress". Yes, they're married, but David is famously stubborn and it's still his album, not "David Gilmour & Polly Samson".
    Weren't some of the shows better vocally than the Pompeii one that was officially released?
    The important thing is singing every day prior to a tour, and warming up properly.
    Money wasn't part of any 2006 shows, and I strongly doubt he'll play it this time.
    Jon wasn't criticized for what he contributed - I think we all appreciated what he brought to the albums and the live shows in particular.

5. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

I'd love to hear the Terminal Frost suite played live again. It sounded great on the expanded Delicate Sound of Thunder set. He could create a great arrangement of that.

Yeah, I think that's the essential difference with Polly. Anything she does seems open to vitriol, let alone critisism.

Zerox, Geordiepete and JulesRules like this.
  6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Polly has been writing lyrics for David for over 30 years now. And more than Roger has done recently. Time to cut her some slack. And the Piper song is the bomb. I'm looking forward for more.

7. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

With some luck, tonight I might get some strange.

8. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

Some people just don't like the idea of 'the wife' being involved, seemingly equating it with another Yoko/Jeanine from 'Spinal Tap' scenario.

Don't get me wrong, Polly has spewed out some clunkers but there's a collective anticipation poised to pluck out the bad lines ("Huh huh, ya mean ALL of them, doncha?!") from what she's written, so they can be ridiculed in a manner that doesn't happen when it's known that someone else was responsible for them.

It doesn't strike me as being particularly fair.

TeddyB, BeatleJWOL, jacden and 8 others like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Roger Waters. Look at any thread. :laugh:

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's called misogyny.

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Please don't jump to conclusions with insulting insinuations. Makes you look foolish. No shortage of fantastic partner pairings -- current and prior.

Richard and Linda Thompson -- gold. (And yes, I love all Linda's solo work as well.)
    Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires -- gold
    Tedeschi Trucks Band -- gold
    White Stripes -- gold
    Fleetwood Mac -- gold

And that is just the start. Thinking a woman writes clunky lyrics doesn't make you a misogynist. There are 6 times as many poor male lyricists.

12. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I actually think it is mediocre at best. Voices and keyboards are too low while the drums are all other the place.

I am not really keen on that new track musically. Nothing really stands out quite well and the separation between each instrument has not been well established.

I think this is an issue with most production these days. I was listening to The Wall the other day and it is miles ahead sonically.

We have been regressing when it comes to music production. Strange.

phonograph likes this.
  13. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Is This The Album Title The Pedants Want?

No, but I like it; I find it suggestive and intriguing.

davenav and Geordiepete like this.
  14. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Most definitely.

rontoon likes this.
  15. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I’m not saying it’s not misogyny, but I think sometimes, in some cases, their love of Roger crowds all else out, whatever it is.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I listened to the one track now available on Qobuz and it was enough to get me to check it out further when released in September and, it got me to pull out On An Island for a fresh listen...

davenav and Bill Mac like this.
  17. I know this is a little aggressive, but . . .

Is it? I actually like a fair amount of Polly's work and feel that Division Bell and On An Island are among David's greatest achievements. She's very involved in those. But that said, assuming misogyny when someone criticizes her lyrics would seem to me really presumptive and prejudiced. Almost like folks are just waiting to get that line out and score points with it. Taking your side for a moment, though . . . people who criticize here writing contributions maybe should cite the lines the feel are so awful. I've seen a little of that here but not much.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  18. On An Island is one of the best things he's ever done, title track particularly.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think this could be a fantastic album. It sounds like it could be far more musically varied than what we've seen recently.

J_D__ likes this.
  20. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I don't have a problem with Polly, but I think the objection people have is more about nepotism. Paul didn't choose Linda because she was the best keyboard player and vocalist he could find. He chose her because she was his wife.

As for your list, do you really feel the drumming happening in White Stripes is "gold?" Come on, now.

Musicisthebest and lucan_g like this.
  21. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Apparently you haven't noticed the people who complain about Susan Tedeschi and that Derek performs with her instead of continuing his former band.

There's a lot of misogyny around popular music, whether or not you choose to recognize it as such.

Yoko, Linda McCartney, Susan Tedeschi, Polly Samson and others get criticism because of how fans view their influence on their husbands. Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish get criticism for everything from how prolific they are to how they dress.

For that matter, Jason Isbell recently spoke out about outlandish allegations that the women in his management, tour, and publicity team were responsible for his marriage ending. He specifically said "misogynistic nonsense" in his statement.

It exists whether you agree or not.

zinan, Charlie Z., zobalob and 2 others like this.
  22. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

It could be criticism of the perceived laziness of hiring a family member, as when Roger Waters, Rick Wakeman and Eddie Van Halen brought their sons on board…but I don’t remember much criticism of those guys.

Leugi, wayneklein and mooncusser2k like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Of course not. But they musically fit well together. That is my point. Zero issue with the joint product.

Miles1968 likes this.
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I don't deny misogyny exists. And yes, I've heard a lot of that with TTB. It would be better to simply say you don't like Derek's new musical direction. Personally, I have no problem with it. But that's the point, for many the criticism is also simply a matter of musical taste. I take offence when its insinuated that just because you think there could be a better lyrical pairing you are misogynistic.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  25. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

History indicates that superior musicianship isn't always the primary criterion for selecting a bandmate. Personal relationships tend to be more important than skills with an instrument.

"Bass players are ten a penny, but a good wit is hard to find." - David Gilmour

Bill Mac, JulesRules and Haberdasher like this.