David Gilmour new album Luck And Strange 6 September 2024 + live shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Apr 8, 2022.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

If I was him I wouldn't "tour". I'd just play some choice venues that he enjoys -- or some unique settings. No reason to plan out a proper tour.

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

coffeetime and St. Troy like this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tix will be a total headache to obtain, especially if venues are smaller like RAH in London.

4. Kevtj

Kevtj Well-Known Member

Easy to speculate, but this seems like a fairly likely scenario. I'd love to use this as a vacation destination overseas, but I also think the Vegas Sphere might be fun too. Hurry up and wait for more news I guess..

5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Sure... Considering that someone named their child Metallica, Luck and Strange could be proper nouns too.

6. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Luck is going to be my son Bad’s middle name.

Dradge, JulesRules, rontoon and 3 others like this.
  7. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Which is pretty much what he has done the last 2 times, albeit with large arenas mixed in with cool theaters for the 2016 North America leg. A handful of cities with 2-3 shows each is my guess.

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

You don't think that she knows the proper conjugation is "luck and strangeness," not "luck and strange?" The woman is a mediocre lyricist, not a raving idiot.

pinkrudy, lucan_g and dalecooper like this.
  9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Here’s an unlikely solution…

For any song that was written/co-written by Waters, Gilmour plays his solo and only his solo alone onstage without accompaniment of any kind.

GoodKitty and PH416156 like this.
  10. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It’s louder than words

JulesRules and Bink like this.
  11. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

The production on the single is fantastic.

12. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Ain’t no better place for a person to be in this lifetime

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  13. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

They bitch and they fight, dis each other on sight. So sad.

Wigdoor and ARK like this.
  14. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

For the person, yes. For their audience, not necessarily. When somebody is in the "zero f--ks given" part of their lives, they tend to lose focus and often become indulgent. Not saying that's been the case with David. I don't think it has.

I want him to be happy and comfortable, but I just don't want him to get too complacent. Wouldn't be good for his music. Roger's animosity may provide a spark of motivation.

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I agree, and thought about expanding on my message to indicate exactly the point you made even before I posted it. But ultimately, David has given so much enjoyment over the decades that, even if the album is terrible, he’s earned the right to do whatever the f__k he likes, at least as far as I’m concerned.

16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Lack of interest? Whose lack of interest? Certainly not mine. Why wasn’t I consulted?

spammythepig, St. Troy and JulesRules like this.
  18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Reminds me of a joke:

Jesus and Moses are playing golf. Jesus puts and misses. Moses says, "I can still put you down for par."

Jesus says, "No. If Arnold Palmer can do it, I can do it." He puts and misses again.

Moses says, "Look, I'll just put you down for par."

Jesus says, "No. If Arnold Palmer can do it, I can do it."

Jesus puts again. Into a pond. Moses sighs... "Par?"

Jesus says, "No, no. If Arnold... (Moses interrupts) "Yeah, yeah, I know."

Jesus walks out onto the pond to get the ball. Meanwhile, a man walks by, sees Jesus walking across the water, and tugs Moses by the sleeve.

"Who does that guy think he is?" said the man. "Jesus Christ?"

"No," says Moses, exasperated. "He thinks he's Arnold Palmer."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    ARK likes this.
  19. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

That’s a good one. I hadn’t heard it. It reminds of this vey similarly themed joke…

Jesus Christ and Saint Peter go out to play golf. Saint Peter steps up to the first tee. He's got the sharp designer vines. Even got a brand-new yellow Amana hat. (Amana sewed up a sponsorship deal long before anyone else, and Nike couldn't even get in the door.) Clubheads that gleam in the heavenly light like stars on sticks. Takes out a golden tee. Puts down a fresh Titleist Balata. Smacks it down the fairway for a clean 265, dead center. Ball sits in the green grass like a distant white diamond. Allows himself a little smirk as he steps out of the tee box. Listens carefully to hear if a cock is crowing.

Anyway, Jesus up next. Old robe. Sawdust up to his elbows (somebody needed a coffee table finished that morning). Got a black rock tied to a cane pole. Got a range ball with a red stripe around its middle and a deep slice up one side. Hits the ball with the rock, and it goes straight up in the air. It is plucked away by a passing pileated woodpecker, which flaps off down the fairway toward the green. Stiff head wind blows up. Woodpecker begins to labor. Just over the front fringe of the green, woodpecker suffers a fatal heart attack. Drops the ball onto the back of a passing box turtle. Ball sticks. Turtle carries the ball toward the hole. At the lip of the cup, turtle sneezes.

Ball drops into the hole.

Saint Peter shakes his head.

"You gonna play golf?" he asks Jesus. "Or you gonna f__k around?"

20. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

Anyway, just listened to "The Piper's Call". Sure the guy's almost 80, but it was good.

The biggest thing: It was nice to hear an extended guitar solo again for a change, and one that closes the song out.

Compared to Roger, Roger's more direct, but David's vagueness is still enjoyable.

21. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Luck and Strange?

Is this a sequel to Starsky and Hutch?

ARK likes this.
  22. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

Ummm. It's not Polly's album, it's David Gilmour's. He chose the title, he also chooses which lyrics to sing.
    It's based on a barn jam with Rick. But also, yes, it's a deliberately jarring title. When I hear the title track, I may appreciate it more.

JulesRules and croquetlawns like this.
  23. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Fair enough. I didn't know the history of the name. I, like everyone else, just assumed it was Polly since she does most of the writing. Now, I wonder how many people will claim David Gilmour is an idiot for conjugating "Luck" and "Strange." Probably not many. But if it's Patty, oh sure.

MrCJF likes this.
  24. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

If its good, it must be David.
    If its bad, it must be Polly.

Has any male collaborator with Pink Floyd earned this much ire?

25. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Jon 'Big C' Carin.