David Gilmour new album Luck And Strange 6 September 2024 + live shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Apr 8, 2022.

1. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

The "Waters songbook" :D

PH416156 likes this.
  2. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I've seen no indication that the personal situation will impact the musical; I suppose we'll see when he tours.

Bink likes this.
  3. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

The track has some interesting instrumentation and then really soars, quite celestial. I particularly enjoyed the Ely Cathedral photography. The way the track ends has hints of Saucerful of Secrets (to my ears!).

4. JMike

JMike Forum Resident

It's an interesting case...I would by no means consider myself a "casual fan". I've been a fairly obsessive fan since I was a teenager (41 now), have every album he's put out, I've flown to another state to see him in 2016 (may not seem like a big deal to many other fans but for me it's not something I've done for another artist. Usually for me if a tour doesn't come within a 6 or 7 hour drive of me I go "dang, I guess I'll have to miss that one),

But...for me and I'm sure many others there is a fairly big drop-off in enthusiasm for material AMLOR onward. It's not due to lack of familiarity, I just don't like it as much. And it would be a factor in my deciding to travel again to see him. I imagine I'm not alone in that and I don't think that's unreasonable. (If by some magic chance he decides to play the PNW for the first time in forever I'll go regardless of what he plays)

If he is playing the same size venues as last time there are going to be a lot of people who are fairly disappointed if there aren't at least a small handful of "classics". (Comfortably Numb, Wish You Were, Time...) I fully understand why he would be apprehensive and appreciate and respect it from an artistic standpoint, but I just can't see getting around at least 3 or 4 "big ones".

GoodKitty and aphexj like this.
  5. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Really dug The Piper's Call. The lyrics are fine and I think Gilmour sings them with the right conviction where I don't care to analyze if they're good or not. They fit the song well enough. I've always felt Gilmour sings other peoples lyrics much better than the ones he's written himself. Kind of a hard thing to explain. To me, before Polly took over that aspect, it felt like the words were just there for David to sing. With Polly's lyrics I get the feeling he's singing them with a love for what's there and because of who they came from. I dunno. Anyway, really like the song and patiently awaiting the album in a few months.

6. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

I listened to The Piper's Call last night and loved it. It's about time David released new music.

Dradge, andrewskyDE, steviej and 5 others like this.
  7. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Any talk of live dates to promote the album?

8. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

If I had to hazard a guess, last quarter of the year…last time I saw him was at the Albert Hall in October..

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Since you asked...

7 out of 8 were co-writes (and I've seen people on here argue that David should have been co-credited for all of them, solely for playing his solo on "Money") but without Waters' lyrics and melodies you couldn't really call any of them songs; certainly David's guitar playing on them enlivens the whole Floyd catalogue and was a big part of what I came out to hear. If he doesn't want to revisit the Imperial phase Floyd stuff anymore, more power to him and good luck to the fans coming for "Sorrow" and "High Hopes" again. I'm still looking forward to the new album

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Geordiepete and rontoon like this.
  10. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I doubt anyone has ever contended that songs co-written by Waters were solely David's.

rontoon likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

And if Waters wrote those "lyrics and melodies" referred to, you can be certain that Gilmour would not have received a co-writing credit.

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

You might be surprised...

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Steve Gadd in action behind the kit and Guy "can't believe this" Pratt's grin of admiration

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I agree.
    But unfortunately most here can't help themselves.
    This is a David Gilmour thread. Roger has his own.
    Both thread subjects inevitably turn into Rog vs Dave dullness. Blah blah blah zzzzzzzzz..........

Both have solo careers. Both have changed quite a lot.
    They couldn't collaborate now.
    So listen to what they did together.

I like the new music. It's Dave what he does best! Better than most.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's nice to see him continue his collaboration with Gavin Elder.

coffeetime likes this.
  15. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

Just get on the bus, Gus:D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    ARK and jdw like this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

After all the public dissing of the last few years, I'd be surprised if David goes on stage and keeps on singing words that Roger has written; furthermore between stuff such as The Narrow Way and Childhood's end, and let's not forget his first solo album, he has enough to make the next gigs different from the last two tours' ones.

I'd be happy with a concert featuring only songs from post 1986 Pink Floyd and from his solo albums; heck I'd be glad to attend if he only played his first one and the sublime On an Island in full, with maybe a couple Syd songs and a selection from AMLOR and TDB.

The songs from "The endless river", especially Anisina and Sum would be a nice addition, too. I forgot, he will play something from the new album, so artistically, he doesn't really need to play Time or Money again, but who knows what the setlist will be.

Jwag1, coffeetime, JulesRules and 5 others like this.
  17. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Gilmour tends to not tour too extensively, but I wonder if he and Mason will coordinate so as to not force Guy Pratt to have to pick a side.

And hopefully having the Webb sisters won’t be a curse…

PH416156 likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'd love for Gilmour to do an All-Dave set, but most people would want to hear him sing classic Floyd tunes- the ones recorded in the 70s that they know and love. Money and Time yet again.
    Touring an All-Dave show would mean much smaller venues and revenue.
    I'm not sure that even if he was physically able to that he'd want to tour on a much smaller scale.

aphexj and PH416156 like this.
  19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is not at all “obviously” the case. Based on the caliber of some of her other lyrics, I don’t buy this.

I’m willing grant her the snake-piper connection. But sometimes a poor title is just a poor title.

20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Just watched the music video, great to see the Goldtop make an appearance at the end! Listening to the track yesterday, I assumed it was his Tele but nope, it’s Les Paul time on this solo!

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Gilmour lockdown sessions had his voice run out of steam after 2-3 songs. Joining the Saucers with Mason or doing Echoes-Animals instrumental heavy songs should be strongly considered. I also wonder how much Gilmour plays outside the UK or even Royal Albert Hall.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I think we'll know for sure the day the new record is released, if once again the "voice and guitar of Pink Floyd" hype sticker is there, then the old classics will be played again, sadly at the expense of something else.

[​IMG]

lots of instrumental-heavy songs on his first album, and of course The endless river.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm sure that he wouldn't even consider playing live if his voice couldn't hold up singing more than 2 or 3 songs.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

@PH416156 - Got to tell those people that attend tribute band shows WHO David is.

We’re living in different times.

25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

IMO, voice raspiness was the real reason they were militant about yanking YouTube live clips 2015-2016.

He also noticeably got in better shape, probably ate better etc..., before the last tour. I can't tell either way in recent photos if that is true for this era.

Many fans thought the guitar auction was an end to touring, but he did kept the 2-3 key Floyd guitars.