David Gilmour new album Luck And Strange 6 September 2024 + live shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Apr 8, 2022.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

There have been posts and tweets over the last year or two about David Gilmour recording in his home studio, and (on the latest Pink Floyd thread) recent sightings of his band in Brighton.

So rather than fill up other threads with specualtion, why not have a dedicated thread to speculate to our hearts content. Since his Rattle That Lock album and tour he has released a song Yes, I Have Ghosts and backing music tied in with the audio book of Polly Samsons novel A Theatre For Dreamers . To tie in with the novel Gilmour also spent time learning the early Leonard Cohen catalogue and performing some on you tube during lockdown

He has guested on a Jools Holland album in 2021.

His work is increasingly a family affair. His wife, Polly Samson, has been his main lyricst since The Division Bell, daughter Romany Gilmour played on Yes I Have Ghosts and appears to be involved inthe Brighton sessions/rehearsals, son Gabriel Gilmour played piano on the Rattle That Lock track In Any Tongue.

So apart form the tenuous gossip so far, are there any clearer signs of an imminent album release?

Further, is their any chance of Nick Mason's involvement with DG or of DG guesting at Nick's A Saucerful of Secrets shows as some sort of promotrional activity (or charity fundraiser)?

Who gets to play keyboards now that long term collaborator Jon Carin is out of favour?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Great topic! I think it is possible to gather a few details by doing some Instagram research. I am at home, sick so I will see what I can find.

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Guy Pratt point of view, based on Instagram:

Note: It is possible that these could also be sessions for Manzarena, Townshend and Simmons. Only direct lik I have seen is Guy in the studio with David (weeks before Ukraina etc).

Brighton, december 2021

Queens Park, London, december 2021

David Gilmour

Chris Simmons (guitar)

Simon Hansson (drums)

Mike Boddy (engineer)

Phil Manzarena (guitar)

Guy Pratt (bass)

Ged Lynch (drums)

Pete Townsend (guitar)

4. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

And based on Polly’s account David started working properly in studio around September last year. From that side I’ve only seen Guy present in the studio.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Why is Jon Carin out of favor?

6. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Great question, I’m curious now as well.

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I hope this will not go the same old route of Gilmour vs. Waters but I guess it is speculations based on:

Carin replaced mid Rattle That Rock tour, possibly because already had commitments with Waters.

Posts on his own Facebook page indicating that he did the main lifting on a lot of Momentary Lapse + Division Bell tracks etc.

Pink Floyd suddely posting early demo of Yet Another Movie a little while after Carin saying something about him creating most of it.

This and other small signs. I guess we don’t really know.

8. MrCJF

Jon Carin has posted claims of writing songs on Momentary Lapse and Divicision Bell, and once posted that Roger Waters claims he had given other band members too much writing credit on Dark Side of the Moon. Carin has spent decades working effectively with RW, DG and PF and semed for a while the perfect diplomatic inside man, but that has gone out of the window in the last year. As LarsO points out, some of his claims wee debunked by the ocfficial Pink Ployd site posting demos without Carin for songs Carin had climed to write (but not all of them).
    This new album will be the forst by DG on some time to have no inpiut from Carin (thouhgh I don't think he did any new work on The Endless River)

9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I hope this happens, as I was not able to see Gilmour on either of his solo tours this century and would love to find a way to see him if he tours one more time. Glad to see that Guy Pratt is still part of the inner circle, as I know he had expressed a little frustration with his bass solo in the live Money being cut out of the new release of Delicate Sound of Thunder.

10. MrCJF

Wow, just seen all my typos in this post. Shouldn't have posted in a hury before leaving for lunch!

ARK, dcscott, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  11. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

GoodKitty and MrCJF like this.
  12. MrCJF

The search function doesn't really deliver well. I thought any relevant recent thread would be on the first page of search results, and so I started this theead when I didn't see one.
    Hopefully signs of him working with an actual band are signs of an album/tour to come. He appears to have held on to quite a few guitars despite his sale.

This Rolling Stone interview posted in other threads goes into Gilmour's new found appreciation for Leonard Cohen's guitar playing (amongst other things), so I wonder if that is going to impact new material. If he feels inspired to try new or long forgotten (to him) techniques I think we could get a great album.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Swansong, Sean, tug_of_war and 2 others like this.
  14. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Which ones were debunked?

klockwerk likes this.
  15. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Dang a new tour would be brilliant!!! I'd travel to see him do something like Pompeii again.

pexie likes this.
  16. MrCJF

Being responsible for most of the keyboard parts/programming on Marooned and writing the original demo for Yet Another Movie. Pink Floyd posted demos on the official website for both songs that didnt involve Carin (they didnt mention Carin their posts though) The Marooned demo is great.

He has recently made similar claims about Lost For Words, but Pink Floyd haven't responded as yet.

17. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What exactly did Carin take credit for that is present in the demos, please?

18. MrCJF

I'm not getting into this further. This thread is for David Gilmour's new music project.

I'm not a musician so I can't comment on any detail or the merits of Carin's claims. And there is plenty of discussion out there already about Jon Carin and Pink Floyd.

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Okay. You suggested that his claims were debunked, but I don't see this established. On the flip side, Gilmour has omitted mentioning Carin's contributions lately (for example this year he has repeatedly called Boombox "my backing band" at the KOKO benefit show, leaving out Carin who was up there playing and singing right next to him), for whatever reason

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    VinylCountdown and klockwerk like this.
  20. unclecuddles

unclecuddles Forum Resident

Perhaps Nitin Sawhney who has just played keyboards on Hey Hey Rise Up?

21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Gilmour has recruited a rotating cast of keyboard players (including his own family) to play on his last two solo albums. It's not likely to be just one person this time either

VinylCountdown likes this.
  22. MrCJF

He usually has two on tour. Greg Phillinganes and Chuck Leavell played the second half of the Rattle That Lock tour, replacing Jon Carin and Kevin MacLea. A large chunk of the band changed over the course of that tour.

There are no keyboard players mentioned in the post from @LarsO above, which is a bit strange.

ARK likes this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Go ahead and shoot the arrows. DO NOT BE SURPRISED if Gilmour and Mason gives PF one more ride on the road. Basically, Gimour's touring band with Mason. If not, Gilmour has one more tour I assume. For either, I am guessing 2023.

Rfreeman likes this.
  24. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

From Rolling Stone:

Are you considering more Pink Floyd music? How did this fit into the rest of the music you’re working on?

This is a one-off for Pink Floyd. I’m casually working away all the time. I’m hoping to get an album finished at some point, but my focus at this very moment is just on this.

BeatleJWOL and tug_of_war like this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Interesting how guitarist the stature of Gilmour and Townshend give way to another guitarist on a project. White City with Pete and hopefully something comes from these sessions.