David Bowie - Scary Monsters - If asked, how would you resequence it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WE WILL FALL, Apr 26, 2024.

1. WE WILL FALL

WE WILL FALL Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's often been said the 1st side of the LP was far superior to the 2nd side - it may be all the singles were on the first side, that the tracks are just more accessible or some might just say the best songs are on the 1st side. So, I am sure there will be those who take the view there is no need to change anything and that is fine. I have heard it said quite often over the years that they are only into Side 1. Some have speculated that the front loaded tracklist was due to how some of the more experimental tracks on Lodger were on Side 1 and that didn't help the reception of the album.

I was wondering how to switch things around to give a more balanced listening experience so as to be not so front loaded so to speak. I have made an attempt which I have enjoyed playing, and although a CD listener I tried to keep the sides fairly for vinyl listener I suppose does include me as I have the original. If asked, I was wondering how anyone else would resequence it?

Side 1 - 23 mins 22 secs
    It's No Game
    Scream Like A Baby
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    Up The Hill Backwards
    Teenage Wildlife

Side 2 - 22 mins 23 secs
    Ashes To Ashes
    Because You're Young
    Fashion
    Kingdom Come
    It's No Game (Part 2)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  2. zither

zither Forum Resident

Side one is indeed chock full of hits. Side two is just fine as is.

RockNRod, timnor and TonyCzar like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

it's one of my top five bowie never thought it felt out of sequence.

4. Saturns Pattern

Saturns Pattern Forum Resident

To answer the question: I wouldn't.

5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I simply wouldn't. It's perfect as is. Side one may have more of the "hits," but side two is filled with lots of outstanding deep cuts. So I don't see it as lopsided or uneven at all.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

In the face of all these very predictable responses of “don’t change it,” let me be the first to say I like your resequencing OP :righton:

7. zither

zither Forum Resident

I reckon DB and Tony knew exactly what they were doing when sequencing the album. It's perfect.

8. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Add me to the list of those who would leave it as it is. One of Bowie's very best!

9. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

01 It's No Game (Part 1)
    02 Up The Hill Backwards
    03 Scary Monsters (An Super Creeps)
    04 Ashes To Ashes
    05 Fashion

06 Teenage Wildlife
    07 Scream Like A Baby
    08 Crystal Japan
    09 Because You're Young
    10 It's No Game

* I'd remove "Kingdom Come" and release it as a b-side to "Up The Hill Backwards" and replace it with its original b-side

10. WE WILL FALL

Thanks. It does play very well.

I was one of those people who bought the album at the time and barely played the second side. I got to appreciate the tracks on it more in recent years, and on this basis, I think I would have enjoyed the album more if the tracklist had been mixed up a bit - I know I am alone in this. Of course, if I had a CD player back then I could of just programmed the tracklisting anyway but it was a bit before that.

I was wondering if it has more to do with how much of Bowie fan you were at the time or maybe now. I am quite selective once you get past before Hunky Dory and after Diamond Dogs. I really don't like Young Amercians (the album), Stay off of Station to Station leaves me cold, 1 or 2 of the the instrumental tracks off of both Low and Heroes are not my thing - Razormade mentioned Crystal Japan and like Some Are I actually prefer those to what went onto the albums - and I really like maybe half of Lodger and actually prefered the Tony Visconti remix for the whole album (apart from Boys Keep Swinging). So I am probably unrepresentative - well of those who are more likely to answer a Bowie thread on here anyway.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  11. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I wouldn’t. There’s an argument Kingdom Come doesn’t need to be there, but it fits with the overall sound so I’d keep it.

(Having said that, both if the proposed alternative sequences are interesting)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I've successfully re-sequenced just about every Bowie album after "Heroes" but I never managed with SM as there are so many weak/dull songs on side2. Your running order looks like it could work well! I'll give it a go.

13. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

This!

Timos likes this.
  14. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

To be brutally honest, when I first read the thread title, I though "What a stup... idea, why changing Scaring Monsters?"

And then I read your proposal, and I must say I like it very much. I'd love to have a vinyl Lp sequenced that way just to try it out. Putting the needle at the beginning of Side 2 and hearing Ashes should be very pleasant.
    I will reprogram my portable audio device so that it plays Scary Monsters like this :)

Timos likes this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Perfect album, excellent songs, nicely bookended, excellent sequencing.

Never change a winning team!

Often copied, never equalled.

There's a reason that for many years after this masterpiece reviewers and fans talking about later work would say: his best since Scary Monsters :agree:

16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The only thing that isn’t that strong on side 2 is it’s no game part 2 but is simply used to book-end the album. I like Kingdom Come.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I went with this. Works really well.

It's No Game 1
    Scream Like A Baby
    Fashion
    Ashes To Ashes
    Up The Hill Backwards
    It's No Game 2
    Scary Monsters and Super Creeps
    Teenage Wildlife
    Because You're Young
    Kingdom Come

One or two little edits were necessary: a reduced gap between track 1 to 2 and the tape machine clatter removed after "It's No Game 2".

WE WILL FALL likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I might swap one of the 3 "hits" on Side 1 for one of the others.

But it's a great great album as it is, so I see no major reason to change it.

WE WILL FALL likes this.
  19. WE WILL FALL

With your sequencing is closer to the original than mine in that most of Side 2 is at the end. When you talked of too many weak/dull songs on Side 2 were there any you had in mind in particular? For me, the weakest track on the album is Because You're Young.

20. WE WILL FALL

And each time the album was the best thing since Scary Monsters for about 6 months or until the next one came out. :winkgrin: Although it could be argued that had more to do with the quality of the contemporary album rather than Scary Monsters itself. I recall it even being said about Never Let Me Down and Black Tie White Noise.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not really. I find all of side two drab and that hit me from my very first play when the album came out (and I was already a huge fan). With my revised running order, I like the album a lot more!