Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young "So Far" orig. CD. An old friend back again!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 26, 2007.

1. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

2. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

Hmmm... this thread explains a LOT for me. Short story long, I stumbled upon the 8 track of this album in a box at my Grandmother's house when I was 15 years old. I used my birthday money that year to buy the CD of it (oddly enough, at KMart). It sounded SO much better than the 8 track... I remember making a cassette of it and listening to it through headphones I clamped down on my head so I could hear each little nuance and detail. I remember thinking that hearing this record like that must have been how it sounded to be in the room when they were recording it. Now I know why. Sir, you have my thanks for an excellent job on this recording and I am proud to own a copy of it.

GerryO likes this.
  3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I went to record shop today and came across a used CSNY "So Far" cd by Bill Halverson/Joe Gaswirt. The matrix is 3-82648-SRC ##01. It is silver cd with(Atlantic logo) 1/2 green top and 1/2 orange bottom. Does this sound as good as the Barry Diament cd? If not I will keep looking.

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Of course not, or this thread wouldn't exist right?

hi_watt likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The Gastwirt cd sounds OK but the Diament cd sounds great. It was this thread that started me on tracking down Diament mastered cd's of artists I listen to (Zeppelin, Genesis, Townshend, etc.).

George P likes this.
  6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

It's made from the same copy tape, but it doesn't sound as good as Diament's. It's hissier and I don't like the EQ as well as earlier version.

Derek

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What copy tape? Barry's CD used the same digital masters (tweaked, IIRC) as the original CDs for the first two albums, Ohio and Find The Cost of Freedom obviously excluded.

8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

No, he did not use the same masters. See Barry's post #24 - the "So Far" album master was assembled from copies of the original songs. I'm baffled as to why for the remaster they didn't use the new digital copies of the original masters rather than go back to this analog dub reel and "remaster" it.

Derek

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

See posts 87 and 55. The tracks are either digitally identical to the earlier CDs or the same transfers but level adjusted. The tracks from the first two albums are *not* unique digital transfers on Barry's So Far.

10. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Strange. I remembered Barry's original reply, but forgot about the digital checking from later in the thread. It looks like what Barry did was reassemble it from pre-existing digital masters. But my other point still stands, the remaster sounds like crap - avoid it.

Derek

11. Feel free to disagree, but I think the best sounding version of Ohio I ever heard is the HDCD version on Neil Young's Greatest Hits.

12. I got a copy of this disc last year around Christmas. It sounds wonderful.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thay may very well be. But the Diamanet mastered cd of "So Far" as a complete listening experience is highly enjoyable.

14. I'll do an A/B on "Ohio" right now.

15. I must say I like the Barry Diament mastering of "Ohio" from So Far better than the one from the HDCD Greatest Hits. The Diament mastering has a more pleasant sounding lead guitar, the GH HDCD sounds a bit harsh there. Vocals also sound a bit more muddy on GH, at least to my ears. I'll agree that both of them are very good, but the Diament mastering gets my vote.

16. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Drbryant did you ever find out who mastered this version?
    I also have the Japan AMCY-137 and would be interested know whether it is the Diament remaster.
    Anybody know?

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The AMCY-137 is the Japan 1st Pressing and is not the Gastwirt remaster.

rbp likes this.
  18. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Would you know what year this was released and if this version has a different EQ to the US Diament release ?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

20. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Thank you for the info yesstiles.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't know. Would be interested if someone has the info.

22. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

Listening to this right now.. When the vocals came in for Find The Cost of Freedom, the hair on my arms stood up. Phew. Great sounding CD.

23. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Found a Columbia House/Diament version the other day for a buck. Ohio is still such a powerful record as it came out in my freshman college year and the then seemigly overnight appearance of this song(wiki dates a 5/21/70 recording after the 5/4/70 incident). That coincided with my first real paycheck blue collar job that summer and Ohio was an AM/FM crossover so it was in my head regularly as the Beatles flamed out and the Woodstock movie went to the masses. Fortnightly missives from Rolling Stone and Downbeat while I wouldn't be able to pick up weekly updates from the music biz via Billboard till I returned to college weeks later and caught up. And Doonesbury everyday in the funny pages of the only paper my Pop read(hey,in Philadelphia,nearly everybody read it,too). It seemed to be going so quickly.
    Yesterday the grandkid got her first cellphone and has already gone through one Kindle Fire. Sigh. If I had a lawn I still wouldn't want you kids on it.

24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I located the Japan for US CD pressed by Matsushita yesterday. I have the US pressed CD and AMCY-137 as well.
    AMCY-137 sounds obviously compressed.

25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

James, your CD was pressed by Denon in their Georgia plant. Their discs sound great and some of the finest glass mastering out there.