Craft Resissue- BLUESVILLE RECORDS 2024 and On

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jasonbraswell, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile Thread Starter

jslcaballo, DeRosa, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

They should reissue John Lee’s Live At Cafe Au Go Go recorded with Muddy Waters and his band. It’s killer.

420JJJazz666 and Ziggy71 like this.
  3. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I had a twofer CD of that with Live at Soledad Prison (which is even better!) Love those albums. I think Live at Cafe Au Go Go is ABC Impulse/MCA though aka owned by Universal Music not Concord/Craft.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I thought Au Go Go was ABC/Bluesway? At least originals which is what I own. My copy is at my practice space so I can’t check it at the moment.

5. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I meant. Bluesway is managed by Geffen which is owned by Universal now. Different company that Concord/Craft.

unfunkterrible likes this.
  6. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I’ll probably *skip* the Skip James as I have the VMP Vanguard box, but this is extremely exciting news as a blues guy. So many classic blues albums have been oop since the 80s or even longer ago, especially AAA. Count me in for most of these, especially at the price point!

7. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

That just got a pressing this last RSD. I have a copy - it's good!

I've got a few Bluesville pressings but will keep an eye out on this series. I can definitely suggest Roosevely Sykes Honeydripper if that gets a repress. Really hoping they do this one from Scrapper Blackwell - clean copies can get kind of pricey. https://www.discogs.com/master/501779-Scrapper-Blackwell-Mr-Scrappers-Blues

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    davidpoole, BlueTrane and Six String like this.
  8. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It must be kind of annoying how much overlap there has been with VMP boxes, and the titles being released individually later.
    I chose to pass on the Vangauard box since i'm not a fan of coloured vinyl, but it makes it hard to commit now when it seems like
    the anchor titles in these sets come out again. They're really working the room, aren't they!

astro70 likes this.
  9. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

I bought the VMP Vanguard box thanks to one of those ridiculously tempting 40% off sales. The biggest draw was the Skip James album, since it wasn't readily available anywhere else, and while I'm excited for this series I was a little deflated to see that it would be one of the first two albums. The VMP verison is mono, at least, and I suppose that might work better for this era and style of music, although I'm sure the Craft version will sound great as well. That being said, I have a '70s stereo reissue of Mississippi John Hurts' Today! and I can hardly imagine it sounding better in mono or stereo. That album would make for a good entry in this series.

DeRosa likes this.
  10. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Fortunately I got it on sale, and I was mostly after the mono mixes of Skip James, Buffy, and Doc Watson. I only wish I would have waited until it was in swaps and got the whole box for under $40…

DeRosa likes this.
  11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Has anyone heard if these will be tip-on jackets?

12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

- Pressed at QRP
    - 180-gram LP
    - OBI with notes written by Scott Billington
    - Paper-wrapped tip on jacket

Ziggy71 and astro70 like this.
  13. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

The odds of grabbing one of those in swaps was so slim, nearly impossible. 40% off on that box is great. I do wonder why Craft chose Skip James instead of something else for this first round. Seems like there would be many great options.

BreakBeat DJ and astro70 like this.
  14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Agree. There are so many easy first picks that weren’t in print 2 months ago.

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Nice thanks!

16. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

Great to hear about this new series. I have a couple from the AP series and would love the opportunity to add more quality mastering/pressings of Blues music.

Also hoping Craft market this series the way they have the OJC and Contemporary series. This would mean they will eventually make their way to bricks and mortar stores in Australia and also would be available on Amazon. Some other vinyl series are very hard (and very expensive) to acquire here.

17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Craft has really been impressing me more and more the last few years. The Chet Baker and Art Pepper LPs including the RSD stuff has been superb !!!! This will be a fun series ! Good pricing too if anyone missed out on the John Lee Hooker AS 45 ‘s. I’m glad we have Craft. By the way their BG mastered SACDs are excellent as well !!

18. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Which records re you talking about exactly? There's so much going on that it's easy to lose myself.

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm pretty sure he's speaking generally about all the great Craft stuff,
    going back to the Chet Riverside box, the Contemporary series, and the mono RSD's
    https://www.discogs.com/release/14532982-Chet-Baker-The-Legendary-Riverside-Albums
    https://www.discogs.com/release/26815019-Chet-Baker-Chet
    https://www.discogs.com/release/22885304-Art-Pepper-Art-Pepper-Meets-The-Rhythm-Section

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

MikeJedi and DeRosa like this.
  21. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

22. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

In my experience, RTI is far from a "premium" pressing plant. I get more excessively noisy vinyl, defects, scratched vinyl and non-fill from RTI pressings than most other pressing plants.
    I can remember many defective Classic Records pressings from RTI... so bad, that I paid the extra $1 inspection fee to Classic to make sure it wasn't scratched/defective.
    Most of the scratched/noisy or otherwise defective records from Analog Productions are RTI pressings and I'm disappointed whenever I see that they had RTI press one of their new releases.

I don't see things getting better after RTI's recent loss of their Master Presser/Manager Rick Hashimoto to Mobile Fidelitys new pressing plant, 'Fidelity Record Pressing'.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    Crush87 likes this.
  23. Jasonbraswell

Sounds like you have not bought a RTI pressing in a while.

They are not perfect but neither is any record plant. The Tone Poet and OJC threads have a big majority of positive feedback and the pressings are all RTI.

Andy Pandy likes this.
  24. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

Not sure how you conclude that from my post, but I still purchase well over 100, closer to 200, new Lp albums a year, many of which are RTI pressings.
    I also purchase many of the the Tone Poets and OJC releases, and I have returned multiple different Tone Poets and have had 2 returns on the OJC Sunday Village Vanguard
    I have well over 1000 RTI pressings, I have experience with RTI pressings... there are others with the same experience as myself.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    Crush87 likes this.
  25. Jasonbraswell

Just because I can't even recall the last time Classic Records were pressed.