Craft Resissue- BLUESVILLE RECORDS 2024 and On

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jasonbraswell, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile Thread Starter

2. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Looking forward to seeing this thread grow as the releases come

Ziggster, scotti, Ziggy71 and 2 others like this.
  3. SideShowRobb

SideShowRobb Forum Resident

I have the AP of Going Away and think it’s fantastic.

I was positive I had two AP reissues of Bluesville records and scoured the shelves thinking I may have inadvertently filed it away with the jazz records… Kenny Burrell - Bluesey Burrell on Moodsville was the record I was thinking of :laugh:

On the plus side, I pulled it and added it to the listening stack for tonight. Kenny joins Lightnin’ on Bluesville and Candid. Not a bad way to kick off the weekend!

Edited as I meant to say: can’t wait to see the reissue list for 2024 and I look forward to reading and learning on this thread whilst adding some classics to my modest blues collection.

4. Jasonbraswell

Evenin' Blues was reissued in the AP series and also as an OBC.
    Although it's not Bluesville, it's about as good as the blues get.
    Jimmy Witherspoon is dang good.

I wonder if they will include OBCs or be strictly sticking to BV catalog only.
    Discogs, which is nothing official, mixed in titles outside the BV catalog.

https://www.discogs.com/label/50599-Prestige-Bluesville

Yeti and SideShowRobb like this.
  5. Joe Paul

Joe Paul Forum Resident

I really hope they reissue the Brooks Berry and Scrapper Blackwell LP, 'My Heart Struck Sorrow' , and the Shirley Griffith, 'Saturday Blues'. Not the biggest names in their catalog but great, great music that's impossibly hard to find these days if you don't have a fortune to spend at Discogs.

6. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Evenin blues is awesome. T bone on guitar!

ETSEQ, RiRiIII and Jasonbraswell like this.
  7. SideShowRobb

SideShowRobb Forum Resident

Just spent an enjoyable 40 minutes listening to Evenin’ Blues. Thank you.

I’m contemplating buying it from Acoustic Sounds. The shipping costs are far more reasonable than they used to be for those on the other side of the pond. I’d still have to add another couple of records to the package to make it worthwhile.

Curious to see the line up too and the direction they’ll take. Equally as curious to read what makes visitors to this threads wish list. Keep em’ comin’!

abracax and Jasonbraswell like this.
  8. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

I almost bought Evenin' Blues twice :laugh: Forgot that I had already purchased it and have yet to open and play it. I had a sabbatical from blues and jazz. I have a few records to catch up on.

SideShowRobb likes this.
  9. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I spent the Discogs money - twice - for fair-but-not-great quality condition vinyl/sleeve of the Berry/Blackwell. That record never made it to CD, so I had no choice. Needless to say, I join you in your hope. :thumbsup:

Joe Paul likes this.
  10. Jasonbraswell

A little Lightnin' tonight
    [​IMG]

McLover, Blurry, harmonica98 and 10 others like this.
  11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Lonnie Johnson with Elmer Snowden "Blues & Ballads" is my only OBC. 1990 Phil Delancie (presumably all analog) stereo mix. I'd be thrilled if they did the mono for this series.

SideShowRobb likes this.
  12. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

First titles are up

John Lee Hooker – Burning Hell + Skip James – Today! (Bluesville Series) LP Bundle

Burning Hell (Bluesville Series) (180g LP)

Today! (Bluesville Series) (180g LP)

Announcing the launch of Bluesville Records — Craft’s revitalized reissue series and editorial platform which honors America’s bedrock music genre. In addition to releasing foundational blues titles from such legendary labels as Prestige, Vee-Jay, Riverside, Vanguard, Stax and Rounder, Bluesville Records will also elevate the legacies of the trailblazing artists behind these albums while honoring their immeasurable impact on modern music. For more information, visit bluesvillerecords.com and follow Bluesville Records on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Each handpicked Bluesville title will be released on vinyl in partnership with Acoustic Sounds. The first two titles, John Lee Hooker’s Burning Hell and Skip James’ Today!, will arrive June 7 and are available for pre-order today. The rollout will continue throughout the year and beyond, with classic titles from Albert King, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Jimmy Reed and Blind Gary Davis, among others.

The albums will feature all-analog mastering (AAA) by GRAMMY®-nominated engineer Matthew Lutthans (The MasteringLab) and will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl at QRP. Faithfully reproduced tip-on jackets round out every release, while obis will offer insightful reflections on the album by GRAMMY®-winning producer, writer and musician, Scott Billington. Additionally, each title will be available to stream in remastered hi-res audio.

McLover, jgrillo, DavidJ and 8 others like this.
  13. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

So this is going to be basically an Original Jazz Classics type deal but for blues releases done on their family of labels:

Veejay
    Vanguard
    Stax
    Riverside
    Prestige
    Specialty
    Rounder

Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  14. Jasonbraswell

Awesome to see they are stepping outside the BLP label.
    This opens it up nicely.

QRP pressings are icing on the cake.

Congrats to Matt!!

15. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I’m definitely in for Burning Hell. I’ve got the Pure Pleasure of Skip James Today so I probably don’t need another copy.

Too bad Craft doesn’t have Delmore Records too and would put out some Magic Sam albums.

17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

SKIP JAMES TODAY

Hell yes. I missed the previous KG cut. Skip is probably my favorite blues artist

@MLutthans any stories about cutting this one?

Do we think these will make Amazon etc? Not exclusive to Craft right?

McLover and MLutthans like this.
  18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah, absolutely love West Side Soul

420JJJazz666 and Revolver like this.
  19. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Im going to Skip James since I have the VMP mono cut. But I’ll likely grab Burning Hell.

20. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Senior Member

Bluesville has a number of great titles/artists that have not been reissued to date. I own approx. 60 original Bluesville titles, and will certainly be interested in seeing which titles get picked.

My minty original Burning Hell, along with the Acoustic Sounds 45 release is all I need, but a decent reissue by Craft will be a welcomed title for many. Nice choice! :righton:

[​IMG]

21. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Oh man do I hope they truly do The Complete Prestige / Bluesville Recordings box for Lightnin' Hopkins they are showing in the video!

It's 7CDs, so I sort of doubt it, but... hopeful!

[​IMG]

22. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Also just want to say props to Craft for doing these at this pricepoint. Thirty bucks is amazing for a single AAA LP cut direct from the masters, and if you do a bundle you're looking at $26 a piece before taxes/shipping. That's a great value in 2024

I notice Jazz Dispensary is the same for a single LP, yeah?

I wonder why OJC goes up to $40

23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Or at least, issue all the records contained within it separately. I’m down with that as well. :thumbsup:

vinylsolution likes this.
  24. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

These seem to be standard price of their regular release at $30. The OJC line they charge Tone Poet prices "because they can" is my educated guess.

25. Jasonbraswell

No one knows for sure but KG and RTI are certainly more of a premium charge.

I'm very happy with QRP so fine by me.