Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I just Google searched "Paul Mccartney box set" and it seems this rarities collection is something that was hinted at 2 years ago? Any indication it's really in the works? [Edit: I mean, I remember a rumor of McCartney collaborating with Dylan a few years ago too; anyone still expecting that one?] I would think they would put some better nuggets out as bonus tracks to show there is some good stuff in the vaults.

2. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Just now jumping in to the conversation but I have been following this thread pretty closely (at least since part 3).

My question is this (which I haven't seen elsewhere in the thread): If they're supposedly going to scatter the Glasgow '79 tracks over the reissues, what's going to happen to the songs that aren't Paul/Wings originals? I'm thinking of the Beatles covers ("Got to Get You Into My Life," "Fool on the Hill" and "Yesterday"), "Twenty Flight Rock" and "Go Now."

Plus, where are they going to put "Band on the Run" and "No Words" from that show since they weren't on the Band on the Run re-issue? I think I remember hearing that those were available for download for people who pre-ordered from Paul's site, but it doesn't make sense to me if they want to scatter the whole show over multiple releases that way that they would make some available on CD and others download only for pre-orders.

-Simon (bluej's son)

3. jacden

jacden Senior Member

All we can do is guess at this point. I suspect the covers and Beatles tunes will be left out. If Concord's plan was to release the entire concert, they wouldn't split the tracks in the first place. Same goes for "Band On The Run" and "No Words" which were available as bonus downloads with the BOTR reissue. There's really no other album to put them on. Who knows, perhaps the Glasgow version of "Wonderful Christmastime" will appear on disc 3 of "McCartney II" although I'd be surprised.

4. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Not if you're a Liverpool/Celtic Football Club fan, it's not!! :)

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I had to create my own haha. I went into Audacity and edited the two together. It's seamless, but the volume still goes down and the up because I don't know how to adjust the volume very well. That aspect turned out bad.

What I'd really like is the ukelele "Big Barn Bed" we get to hear, just like it seems we're getting the whole of the fragment of "Suicide" from "Glasses." I know that it may also work to give it to us on Red Rose Speedway but the fact that we hear it on Ram makes me want it on that set.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's my thinking, both with your speculation as to the full songs being released on disc 3 as well as an upcoming official announcement. My guess is Tuesday. Isn't that generally the day these things land on?

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Announcements can be made on any day of the week, but it would make sense for them to wait until after the Easter holidays/Spring Break period. Next week would be about 6 weeks before the rumored release date, so that sounds about right.

8. There is no evidence that official track lists have been "leaked." Everything is just rumor at this point.

9. Sean Murdock

Track lists can be made up and speculated about -- track TIMES have to come from somewhere ... unless someone is putting a LOT of thought into the ruse.

10. My point is simply that until information is released by Concord or MPL, it's not official, and is just rumor. I am not saying the information on Allmusic is wrong, but to treat it as gospel is unwarranted.

11. Sean Murdock

I agree, but all rumor isn't just "rumor" of the exact same credibility. etcetera's bonus track speculation was informed rumor (assumed to be from an inside source), while Allmusic's info SEEMS to originate from an official source of some kind (hence the track times).

But, as you said, until Concord announces it, nothing is real.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:agree:

13. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I'm slapping my money down on the Allmusic and Maccablog lists being correct, i'll see you an alt vocal Maybe i'm amazed, and raise you a Blue sway :)

(Sorry, Bogey wobble is not legitimate betting currency)

Greg.

14. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Hi,

After a week of walking around in black, and mourning the loss of my sense of wonder at the rumoured track list by 'etcetera', i had an epiphany last night, raised my veil, and realised that no way would Paul release those bonus discs with the listed tracks, as salivating as they were, for the simple reason they would be far more interesting than the original album, and i don't think that's the idea, or plan for this reissue campaign. Highlight the original album, throw us a few bones on the bonus discs, and cross fingers, and anything else supple enough to manipulate that we do get a box set of rarities at the end of this.

I just wish i had more faith in Macca, because he has a pretty strong history of dropping the ball with, and undervaluing his solo catalog and archives, but as a Macca fan, hope always springs eternal.

Greg.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:laugh:

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would have had ZERO problem with these bonus tracks if I hadn't seen what Etcetera had posted. I'm not that knowledgeable about what Paul has out there but when I see what we could have been getting, that's when I get disappointed. However, I am still very happy with what we're getting, should these track lists prove correct (sans 1979 Glasgow - save them for a full album!!!).

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. He's remastering and reissuing his albums (AND they're unlimited 24/96!!) and is nice enough to give us some cool bonus tracks. He could have given us nothing but a brickwalled single disc remaster. I say, "Be happy."

17. maccacollector

maccacollector Member

I assume you are referring to the Denny Seiwell/Macca jam that has been bootlegged?
    One of their first sessions together wasn't it?
    I'd be interested in hearing the proper demo that Paul must have put together to give to Roger Daltrey.
    I wonder what year he recorded that as the Daltrey version didn't come out until 1977 or so, under the title Giddy.

maccacollector

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I can't say that I'm super-excited about 1979 live tracks as bonuses on the McCartney album, but, hey, give me some more Paul product to buy, and I'm happy.

If nothing else, these ought to be a sonic upgrade over the currently available CDs of these titles.

19. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Well, i did say it was an epiphany :D

Greg.

20. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

He wanted to make a new wave version of it. :p

21. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

word

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

23. Would The Great Cock and Seagul Race fit within the Ram time period? What about that Castle of the Birds (whatever it was called) song? What about the Rupert Sessions before they were polished up by the 1978/9 to 81 incarnation of Wings?

24. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

AllMusic almost never puts up incorrect track lists. The fact that they also have track times, tells me they're 99.99% likely legit.

His not including the first/very different studio version of "Every Night", or the alternate mix/unedited performance of "Maybe I'm Amazed" that Chris Thomas is always going on about for 'McCartney 1' (especially when you consider the lack of extra material related to that album to begin with), confirms for me that all/some/much of the "good" stuff is not being included on purpose.

I think anybody planning on the future 'Ram' deluxe blowing them away, is really setting themselves up for disappointment/not paying attention to the rational side of their brain.

We've got to "settle" for just getting excellent sound of what we are familiar with, and a few relatively inconsequential (some better than others) bonus tracks, and live performance tracks, thrown in on each deluxe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.