Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Maywitch I agree with you, House of Wax is a power ballad and a very good one, but I wouldn't say it's the same type song as Beware My love, and I wouldn't call it arena rock, a power ballad is a very accurate description.

2. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Wha.. you're a Macca fan and you're not interested in any of the extras?

If you want the early live Ram stuff (some of it is 'out there') then the Deluxe Ram re-issue may be your best bet when it comes out.

Just one thing.. listen to 'Electric Arguments'. It's one of McCartneys best albums IMO, it's not like the other Fireman albums, it's like a usual Paul album.

3. Immerse

Immerse New Member

As it was mentioned.. I've been been properly listening to the 'Arles '72 live Wings boot for the first time recently. Boy is that a trip or what?

Paul's 'Wildlife' lineup ripping through messy versions of these lo-fi hits in front of a bemused (or confused?) French audience. He opens with - 'Bip Bop'. Hearing Paul excitedly yelling out "wooo! yeah baby, bib bop!" during the sloppy guitar solo is quite something. A rough version of 'Smile Away' is up next, and then to really hammer home this strong 1-2-3 punch intro to their gig Paul and the boys then knock out a near 5 min version of 'Mumbo' :D

It's kind of a trainwreck, but an interesting one.

4. paustin

paustin Member

I love the song "Heather" thankfully Heather is not a lyric so that love isn't tainted...

5. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

The whispered 'Heaaaaaather' at the end is enough for me to get a bit of sick in the back of my throat :)

Greg.

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

With a little bit of clever editing, you'd never have to hear it again, and you could still enjoy the song! :thumbsup:

7. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It's a strange screenname. I've never heard maccafan say anything good about macca music.

8. Or think of it as referring to his happier times with Heather Mills McCartney. He loved her back then, he may still even now. His feelings were and are valid, and so are the songs he wrote as inspiration.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That's exactly how I feel.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Seriously? All he does is defend McCartney's greatness - well, and Michael Jackson, too...

11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Agreed.

12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I've got to thank you for posting that. I don't have Arles but I dug out Montreaux which is very much like what you describe. I think PM showed questionable quality control in the studio during this period, and he certainly didn't generate tunes at the 1965/6 rate, but you can really hear him in his element just playing music with other musicians. The Wild Life tracks sound so much better than the LP versions. By the way, Henry Mac has joined by this point, no? Really helps IMO. [apologies for the OT digression]

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Hardly...

14. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Henry Mac was sloppy as hell when playing live with Macca. He was probably
    (no make that definitely) the worst lead guitarist Macca ever had post Beatles.

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

... maybe ... still improves the Wild Life tracks that Denny Laine (and Paul?) played lead on ... [edit: and you can sure hear the upgrade from Denny Siewell to Joe English]

16. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

It wasn't just him. The entire group was sloppy as hell. He was a great guitarist in the studio regardless...

17. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I just think they were desperately under-rehearsed, and playing lacklustre material doesn't exactly make you want to rehearse...

18. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Hey Joe

Not even early takes of classics such as Maybe I'm Amazed? Or Every Night with the electric guitar bit? You swear to God you wouldn't faint by listening to demos of Dear Boy or Some People Never Know? I do respect your view, but this has just knocked me off. :(

19. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Oatsdad, defending McCartneys greatness isn't all I do, I also fairly criticize him when I think it's warranted.

Immerse, I have listened to Electric Arguments, more than once and it just sounds ragged to me, sounds like some guys set up in their backyard and just wailed away, I don't hear much melody or song structure.

The live performances of Highway and Sing The Changes made me like those songs a lot better though.

Claudio, I've heard just a bit of a fast funky version of Maybe I'm Amazed that I would absolutely love to get my hands on!

I't's the very rare live material that I really want, I have some stuff, but I'd love a real release of something like the whole Wildlife tour, or some stuff from that college tour, live performances between 1972 - 1974.

20. Immerse

Immerse New Member

:confused:

Light From Your Lighthouse? Dance 'Till We're High? Two Magpies? Highway?

I have some of that stuff.. and you say you don't want to hear anything that sounds raggedy and without melody or song structure? ;)

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Sounds to me like you may be referring to the mix on Twin Freaks. It has an extended coda that really rocks out.

22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

came across a nice YouTube vid of the demo of 1882 going into a live 1972 version over a great slide show of McCartney photos. Would love to see this song get a proper release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYcK2fwa9dA

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Dude, I was actually sticking up for you in the face of bizarre criticism! I didn't mean you LITERALLY only praise Macca...

24. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Any news on the reissue front??? Are we getting 'McCartney / McCartney II'? I'd love to hear the outtakes from 'II' in pristine quality (including the unedited versions of the released cuts). Outtakes for 'McCartney' would be outstanding as well as most of that stuff (outside of a few demos like "1882", "Indeed I Do", "Yeah Yeah", etc.) have not been heard. Has anyone ever pinned a date to the two "Dear Friend" demos? They sound like they could be from the same session as the above mentioned tracks, but lyrically wise, I'd put them after the "Too Many People" / "How Many People" incident. That is not definite, of course, which is why I'm asking if anyone has other info on when these demos were recorded. Thanks!

25. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I do believe this demo is from dec 1970/jan 1971, after the John Lennon ROLLING STONE interview. See my previous post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.