Concord Music Group gets Paul McCartney Back Catalogue (Pt. 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

How killer would it have been if McCartney formed a new band just after Run Devil Run, keeping Gilmour on guitar, maybe Abe on drums, and Hamish Stewart for utility guitar/bass/b vox?

Now, don't get me wrong. This band that he has right now is the best one since the Beatles. Even better than the 89-94 band. But, Gilmour on songs like this...WOW (with a properly prepared part, minus the noodly "where the hell are we" thing featured here).

2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You think Gilmour would have been prepared to shlep round the world at McCartney's beck and call for the last 10 years?

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Who cares if a song is about Heather? Why should that diminish one's enjoyment of a quality song? It just seems so stupid.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Anybody prepared to hear Paul sing "Hello... is there anybody in there?" :D

5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I get that, especially for what McCartney's band members generally get paid. I think David would be in for a one-off album (which he was) and a year's worth of tour and that's about it.

Just a pipe dream...

6. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Her sting was so great it sullies all that crosses her path.

Anything 'Mills' tainted i find i have to force myself to enjoy and justify, i do feel that about the song 'Heather', just wish it had a different title and had stayed an instrumental. Not stupid to me, merely she poisoned my enjoyment for a while, i'm like that, if something is a bit 'stinky' i find it difficult to disassociate.

Greg.

7. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

If it's an issue for anyone, the lyrics also work in a non-romantic sense, if you simply substitute Ms Mills for the first Heather McCartney; ie. his daughter.

Works for me.

8. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

You think Paul cares about playing or hearing the songs he wrote FOR HER again? I doubt it.

9. Immerse

Immerse New Member

Nothing kills a good thread more then bringing up Lady Mucca :whistle:

10. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

And to clear the palate ..

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      116.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      48.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      108.5 KB
      Views:
  11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

12. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

This is for the Wings fans. :D

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      15.9 KB
      Views:
  13. butch

butch Senior Member

Thanks for the above pictures. Paul should bring back The Rick for good!Keep that Hofner toy in the closet! ;)

14. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

It's my dream to see the Hofner burst into flames one night and splinter into a million pieces, what can i say .. i've always been a Wings and Ricky 4001 fan first and foremost :)

Greg.

15. CCRider

CCRider Forum Resident

+1 :edthumbs:

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I agree on both counts.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

:laugh:

18. Immerse

Immerse New Member

aside from the obvious Beatle ties, I wonder if Paul just sticks to his hofner now as it's so light, and maybe not so physically demanding for a near 70 year old man doing 2 hr sets.

19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

On a side note, 'Silly Love Songs' is currently the second on the iTunes top song downloads chart but it is not Sir Paul's version - it is the version recorded for the show 'Glee'. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgHaXnk68M

For me, the dominant bass line drives the song and so without it, it just doesn't work.....plus I don't really like the Glee singers and their styles.

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Great discussion guys, I'm not interested in the new reissues I've heard about.

I want stuff like the originally planned double album of Red Rose Speedway, or early live Wings with very rare live versions of songs like Smile Away, Big Barn Bed, live versions of Juniors Farm, etc.

I've liked McCartney all along, no not every album has been Earth shattering, but the only albums I absolutely don't listen to are the Fireman, they are the worst of the worst. I think McCartney II is very bad, the worst of his regular releases, but even it has two or three songs I like.

Flaming Pie is just awesome, I absolutely love the song titled The Song We Were Singing, and Souvenir is just fantastic. Many people bash the song Used To Be Bad, but I love it. McCartney and Miller getting down doing some rocking Texas blues.

I really rejected Chaos when it first came out, the producer took McCartney away from his instincts to me, and I don't want him to produce McCartney ever again, but the album has grown on me and I think Too Much Rain and This Never Happened Before are two of the best songs by McCartney ever!

I want Rick Rubin to produce McCartney, get him in the studio with his current band, I think Wings in 76 is the best band McCartney has ever had, but the current band is right next to them. McCartneys been with these guys long enough, it's time he got them in the studio and recorded a full all new all original album.

Memory Almost Full is just one of McCartneys very best, I never ever get tired of listening to Vintage Clothes/That Was Me (McCartney should still be performing this song live, check out his performance of this song at the Olympia on Youtube) and Feet In The Clouds!

House of Wax isn't arena rock at all, it's a slow song and doesn't come close to the faster harder rocking Beware My Love. It is a great song though and may feature the best guitar solos of McCartneys entire career!

21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I didn't say "House of Wax" rocked as hard as "Beware My Love" -- just that it was a similar type of song. YMMV, but I always picture lasers and dry ice when I hear it! :D

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

That vocalised brass line is awful. Still, if it gets another generation hooked, so be it.

23. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

I'm sure you probably know but you can create these yourself as all the songs are available. Some of the RRS songs did have different mixes but on the whole, each song on the proposed double album is available to recreate.

I'll take reissue they're willingly to give us...I just hope it has a few bonus things along the way.

24. maywitch

maywitch Forum Resident

I agree with you. It's not like ALL "arena rock" songs are fast. What about "power ballads"? Not to mention bands like Pink Floyd, plenty of their songs are "slow" in the sense that House of Wax is.

Besides I ADORE the guitar solos on House of Wax, Paul did an awesome job on them(so he'd have to play them live if he ever did the song in concert again, none of this having Rusty play it)

25. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

This is my feeling as well. They will dig out the original if they're really interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.