Comparison of $700 turntable and $8,000 turntable. As you would expect.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Worth getting!

Sorry for delay, Steve!

I think the sound is very pure, crisp & clear and natural.
    Normally my amp is showing around –15dB to –20dB while listening records, but with this record it’s only –30 dB!
    So there’s lots of spark and dynamics, I guess.

This music style is some what unfamiliar to me but it’s very good played.
    I’m sure it sounds much better if you have chance to crank it up a little. That’s not possible where I live right now.

I can understand that this album is used as a reference record by our dear host. But in my place, the walls does not allow that.
    Impossible to say if US pressing is better, but this is very good too.

I recommend it too, specially for the listeners who are familiar with this kind of music.

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Which shop was that?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It's an exact copy of Duke Ellington Orchestra tunes from Victor 78's, 1928-32.

Normally I don't like that sort of thing (preferring the originals) but in this case it works. Nice to hear this great "Jungle Music" in high fi for once..

Cotton Club Soundtrack LP on Geffin.

4. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yikes if the standard cart for the 7 is not up to decent specs, my standard cart MMF5 is really far from top notch!

Anyone know a a fantastic match for MMF 5/7 tables that doesn't cost more than the table (so under $600)

5. woody

woody Forum Resident

i think my grado sonata was nice on my mmf-7, but as the 5 doesn't have as isolated a motor, the grado might hum on the 5. you might consider upgrading the actual needle on that goldring cart for a cheap upgrade. something to look into, a buddy of mine did it and has been happy.

6. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

I think the 1012, 1022 and 1042 are all interchangable. I have the 1022 on the MMF-5SE and it sounds really good. Tracks well and not much surface noise. It won't make up for any shortcomings of the table though. It is a worthwhile cheap tweek though.

Eric

7. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

I'm getting some very nice results from a Benz Ace cartrige on my MMF-7. It was an upgrade from the stock Goldring Eroica cartridge the table came with. Ofcourse, I never thought the stock cart was all THAT bad, but...the Benz is a noticeable improvement in all areas.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Re-opened by request. Here ya go!

Gary and FashionBoy like this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Of course there is a middle ground, there are plenty of cartridges in all price points. A more expensive cart or just a different one on the Music Hall could be revealing and optimal. Many folks upgrade their carts and often to near the price rage of the table, one need not go over-board to have some serious improvements. Nothing is written in stone, except that McIntosh cart is not going into another table, not the Music Hall anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.