Comparison of $700 turntable and $8,000 turntable. As you would expect.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not mine..

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Don't know how old you are Mike, but, an old fart like me realized a long time ago, that if I rely too much on my previous experiences, I will always be relegated to living in the past...not in the present or future.

HG

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

can't argue with that logic!

anyway thanks for reviewing the MT10 - the only place I've seen it something or other wasn't working properly so they couldn't play it for me at the time.

I still want to hear it though...

4. Steve Hoffman

It's really nice. That big platter glows green when fired up. Very pretty in the dark....

5. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

Steve, Could you tell us more about the Acoustic Revive wire? Thanks:wave:

6. Steve Hoffman

7. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Of course expectations can affect judgement. If that is a worry one can do some if not all listening under blind conditions. But one doesn't have to start from scratch when aproaching new components. What is an audiophile to do? Audition every component on earth with the idea that there should be no prejudice? You can't do that. So there has to be some reason, some criteria by which we narrow the field. Can't do that without some prejudice coming into play.

By the way I do prefer to do all comparisons blind and then sighted.

8. Lazy0ne

Lazy0ne Forum Resident

Great! Thanks again!:thumbsup:

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

To clarify, is it correct that you are using the MM V15mx cartridge on your Music Hall 7, but that the table currently comes with another MC cart included?

10. Steve Hoffman

Correct. I didn't like the installed cart. Very bright sounding.

11. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I use hemostats so I can get a firm grip on the rear of the terminal then use my finger as a push point to slide it off and onto the cartridge.

I also have a neat rubber coated clamp used for holding various electrical boards and such that I can hold the headshell with.

Having it firmly mounted helps in not jerking wires and breaking them.

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Great review Steve ! You once mentioned that you own a Thorens TD 124 - what about a shootout between that with another real good cart - in case you come across such a thing, maybe pre-mounted so that you just have to change the Tone Arms or headshells, something i love about Concorde carts..
    Which table appears to sound nicer to you - the Music Hall or the Thorens?
    Glad to learn that even the Turntable is just another winner from McIntosh .

I just finished another (useless) shootout between a Technics M3D and a DUAL CS 701. First thru a Pioneer DJM 400 /24/192 Digital Mixer) and then thru a NAD PP2 Phonostage - Both times The Technics (and the mixer) was more resolving with biggger bass and more slam, while the DUAL is nicer in the midrange and presenst an effortless musical image - it all depends on the pressing or the style of music. Hung Jury :)

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd love to hear a needledrop done with the McIntosh MT10 turntable and cart. :)

14. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

This is one of the reasons why I have not gotten back into vinyl. All in all, digital seems to be a more 'democratic' technology and hobby.

15. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

You don't need an 'elaborate' turntable set-up to get excellent sound. Even an inexpensive Rega or Music Hall with a decent cartridge(like an AT150ML or Dynavector 10x5 MC) will get you very surprisingly far.

16. Chad Etchison

Chad Etchison New Member

My experience with the MM 7 was similar to what Steve has posted. I didn't find it to be a giant killer either.

It's a fine table and sounds very nice but it was a little lacking for me in some critical areas. I feel that the build quality on mine was not top drawer as I had expected.

I also disliked the stock Goldring cart.

Clearaudio makes some nice stuff...

17. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

:D Wonderful self-deprication. You're not from Blighty originally are you?

Hi HG. I'm 35 so I'm an old crusty to some, but still a young 'un to others. I can see what you're saying, but I take Steve's experiment to be a bit of fun and not meant to have any scientific weight. I have gone into a few listening scenarios with expectations, only to have them dashed. I heard a valve amp that I thought would give something different to the sound only for it to sound like a transistor amp. I have compared interconnects expecting to hear a difference, but didn't. (Mind you in the past I had no expectation at all - and did!) I also had a tonearm modded expecting to like the change in sound, but didn't. It may be six of one and half a dozen of the other, or depend on the listener. I take on board that in an important scientific thing it's best not to have prejudged the answer as it has been suggested that some scientists have fudged results to get the answer they 'knew.' However this was just listening to two turntables. I'm not planning to leap out and buy one on Steve's recommendation: for one thing I don't have curly haired acoustic treatment on my head (many threads back I suggested a Steve Hoffwig as an audiophile accessory) also I don't have it as a priority. I did find it interesting and I did believe what Steve said, but I hope I would try before I buy: I do at much lower prices.

Well there you go, what a rambler! :laugh:

18. Mike the Fish

But if you're a bit shakey (or sleep deprived with small children) might that magnify and issues of steadiness? My fingers are my friend. So far.

19. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'm as steady as a rock after a couple of beers. :shh::cry::laugh:

Wish I were near Steve. I'd gladly come over and give you a hand. I've always enjoyed setting up a turntable. I really get into it. Very relaxing, and rewarding after the work is done. Laying the needle down for that first listen is all the compensation I need.

20. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

10-12 years ago I bought my first t-table out of college. A Rotel turntable based on the Rega P1. I had a Sumiko Blue Point mounted on there - at my friends house I had heard the Sumiko on a VPI HWIII with an ET2 arm and was suitably impressed. The Rotel did not sound anywhere as good as that VPI - it was still good but only marginally better than my old Thorens.

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not according to what I have been reading and the needledrops I have been listening to in the "Post Your Needledrops" thread. Everyone there started with a set up and had continuously been upgrading them to get a better sound. I guess that when they look back some time in the future, they will have invested big money on this hobby.

It is easy to feel as if you had a sound card that only recorded at 44.1/16 in a world where there are many that do so at 96/24 and you have E-Mus, or even Meitners out there. Not a comfortable basic proposition for me.

I like vinyl sound, but can't get over the fact of thinking that of the many variables affecting the sound of any 'normal' vinyl rig. Of course, in the digital world there are significantly more expensive and better-sounding rigs than mine, as is the case in vinyl, but just look at the spending curve all good sound and vinyl lovers seems to be involved in.

I guess that once you are in vinyl mode it all is part of the fun, but it is clearly a big mid-term investment. I guess those are the 'perks' that are attracting investment and interest from several companies in the world of vinyl.

22. Mike the Fish

I really enjoy listening to vinyl, but hopefully don't see it as a long term investment. There's plenty about that could blow my TT out of the ground, but I'm largely very happy with the sound (not 100% sure about the AT440 cart though.) I suppose it is an advantage of being the most into vinyl person I know in that I seem to be largely free of the temptation of TT envy. I also currently don't go about listening to better turntables!

23. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I'm just jealous that people have the opportunity to audition such nice gear as a McIntosh MT10 in their home setting. I'd love to be able to compare the MT10 to the Technics/Thorens & VPI I currently have. The scary part is, that if I loved the MT10, then I'd be thinking about ways to come up with 10K. 4th mortgage anyone. :agree:

24. Mike the Fish

That's one good reason why I might not want to compare the MT10!

25. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

No doubt. What I would probably do is instead of buying a $20K car, get a loan for a $20K car and buy a $10K car and a $10K MT10. :laugh: :agree: Got to make cuts somewhere and a car would be a good place. Those blue lights are mesmerizing! Gotta have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.