Comparison of $700 turntable and $8,000 turntable. As you would expect.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Hey like anything "You Get What You Pay For"

There are "giant killers" in audio, and there are "overpriced" equipment as well, but my personal thoughts are that if you do your research, stick with well-known established brands with a solid track record, the "you get what you pay for" philosophy generally applies. (Even in the crazy world of audio equipment!)

Of course one should always listen before you buy, etc..

2. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Well put.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

THE COTTON CLUB? USA pressing from around 1986 or so. My friend Diana Reid Haig had it and I liked it so much that I went to Tower and got myself a copy...

Normally I don't like "recreations" of old 78's but in this case it was recorded so nicely I couldn't resist.

4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Thanks a lot, Steve!

How ever I’ve bought a dutch copy of it.
    We’ll see how it sounds … :)

5. Steve Hoffman

Can't imagine. Let us know.

6. ducatirider

ducatirider Member

Steve: I have a question that only someone like you can answer, even though it is subjective. Not many of us fanboys have access to the original tape or event. Your response will not sway me either way but what do you feel is more satisfying? Accuracy to the original tape or musicality towards your sonic priorities? Don't mean to jack your thread just that I feel it's more likely to be viewed by you as the OPer.

7. Steve Hoffman

Could you start a new thread in Music Corner?

Be happy to talk about it.

8. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

I promise. When I get the album.

9. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Don't look now, but THE COTTON CLUB just went Platinum! :)

Back on-topic... I had the chance to listen to a 25k set-up once (at a friend's parent's house... he's a doctor) and the sound was like nothing I'd heard before (or since). I love my little rigs, but if I ever win the lottery rest asured I'm upgrading!

10. ducatirider

ducatirider Member

sure but not so sure if this pertains to music as much as hardware.

11. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

That cheap level is really holding back the performance of the table. :winkgrin:

12. Steve,

I'm surprised at the title of your thread: "Comparison of $700 turntable and $8,000 turntable. As you would expect."

Without auditioning the two tables, why would you expect that the more expensive turntable would perform any better than the $700 table? If you have this bias going in, wouldn't the outcome also be biased?

Regards,

HG

13. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

It is a logical expectation given there are less price point compramises in the 8,000 dollar rig. That does not make it a given but certainly the expectation is a reasonable one.

14. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Reading things like this make me think I am missing out on something because I'm not able to afford such elaborate gear.

My lowly Techiques TT and AT cart are left in the dust.

But alas, I did connect up my pair of Advent Meastro speakers this weekend and my tube amp sings with them.

Which brings to mind, what set-up did these two decks run through? You mention the phono stage but I am curious as to the outboard components and would these have any varibles to the performance between two different TT / cartridge combinations?

Just changing out my speakers gave me a sparkling sound where before it was lack luster. Maybe a silly question, I know.

15. Sorry, but, IMHO, unless you have listened to both tables hooked up to your specific system, in your specific listening room, with your specific ears, you should not prejudge the outcome of the results.

HG

16. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

It's very hard not to have expectations in this situation, nor is it unreasonable IMHO - particularly if it's based on experience.

17. Steve Hoffman

Amp was McIntosh MC402, line stage was Joule Electra, wire was ACOUSTIC REVIVE from Japan, Speakers, the big Ventures from Belgium. Phono was battery powered Sutherland PhD.

Top of the line gear all the way around.
    I was hoping the Music Hall was a giant killer, that's why I bothered with the test in the first place (usually I couldn't care less about such things).

But, it was not to be. However, without the same cart in both it's not a valid test. Just something I wanted to try.

Why? Because I own the Music Hall. The McIntosh MT10 is a loan from McIntosh Labs.

18. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

In this situation I think it would be the arm/cartridge combination that would really matter the most. You never know, the Mac cartridge on the MMF arm may not work right at all, and vice versa.

19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Expectations are not a judgement.

20. Well maybe....but, expectations can certainly influence your judgement when you have not yet taken the time to accumulate all of the facts.

HG

21. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Now Steve, I know that you are not a big fan of Ortofon, but the new carts (the 2M series) are really quite nice. I own a 2M Blue that I am very happy with. I am wondering what the Music Hall would sound like if you changed it to a 2M Bronze or the 2M Black? I am sure Ortofon would send you one to "audition", knowing it is you! :)

My 2M tracks really well, and sounds very balanced overall - and not bad in the midrange. I will be saving my pennies to upgrade tables in the next few years though, but I do intend to hold onto Blue. Your thoughts?

22. Steve Hoffman

I'd love nothing better than to try out a bunch of carts but it's the setup part that drives me bonkers. It'll have to be someone else doing the setting up! I've snapped my last cart wire, bucko!

23. Vinylsoul 1965

:) Wish I was in California, I'd just pop over and help! :)

Are there any volunteers in the Cali area to help Steve out?

24. Vinylsoul 1965

In the city of angels, there has to be an audiophile angel out there to save the day!!!

25. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Small needle-nose pliers are your friend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.