Comparing quality on vinyl with Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IBN_Music, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Apples and oranges. All other things being equal, the vinyl is a more engaging listen, for me.

2. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

it is true (Ibelive) when we talk about mecanic stuff like turntables, tapes etc, no matter how much good the equipment is made, they can not scape the laws of physics, things beguin to slow movement or speed change, lp records beguin to be used by the stylus, and even things that we can not see with the naked eyes, etc etc :wantsome:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

i remember some guy that knew very much vinyl, said that for really listen to vinyl the way it should be, you must go for a lp player that cost more than 3000 or 5000 dollars :bdance:

4. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

To be fair, I think you'll reach the point of diminishing returns much later with vinyl than with digital technology. We can debate whether it's worth it to spend that much, but it seems reasonable to expect that it would take that amount of money (and easily more) to get everything out of vinyl that it is possible to get out
    of it. Which is simply due to all of the delicate mechanics involved, where pretty much every part has a fairly big influence on the resulting sound. Whereas a lot of components for digital sources simply need to be "good enough" in order to produce the expected output, which can be achieved at fairly reasonable prices.

ArneW, HDOM and Leonthepro like this.
  5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I think it starts to drop pretty hard around 1000$ then after 5000$ Im not sure there is anything left to really gain.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

But we don't know that - we can never know that.

7. Metralla

Not in this universe.

8. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

I like the way a record can fill the room sound wise, like it gets into every thing. Nice deep mid-range is most important to me. Depth.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'd recommend forgetting what that guy said. How does vinyl sound to you on your turntable? :)

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

But you can also hear the difference between a tape copy of the analog master and the analog master too, correct?

11. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It's very easy to know: Compare the signal that went into the storage medium with what comes out. For example by subtracting the waveforms from each other. The closer the resulting difference signal is to a flat zero line, the more accurate the format.

12. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

well i read that article like 5 years ago so things may be change

i still dont have a turntable but soon, i need to save first to buy one around 200 dollars :whistle:

13. Metralla

Yes, but that was not my point. I said "we can never know that" with the emphasis on WE.

Someone may be able to do what you just said, but not the average audiophile.

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Amen, dude. Oh, it's me, sorry.

fiske likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.