Comparing quality on vinyl with Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IBN_Music, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Yup!

HDOM and LeeS like this.
  2. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Agreed. I just read an interesting "paper" by Charles Hansen on Ayre on these very points regarding the brickwall filters that are applied to the vast majority of PCM encoded recordings.

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Whether you disagree with or have issue with another member there's no rule against members reopening an old thread.

This being the case please stick to the topic of the thread and avoid questioning their motives.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

All I know is that I prefer lp/analog -to my ears...I'll take that over any link, post, or thread positing that I am hearing things.

mertoo likes this.
  5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Duly noted, and no offense intended Kevintomb. Just a little wisecrack :wave:

kevintomb and hodgo like this.
  6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Have you tried a blind test?

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Have you? Please post your setup, data, and methodology.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

No, the NFL would not lend us the refs from Chargers-Chiefs game.

SergioRZ, Robin L and Puma Cat like this.
  9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Every day for 25 yrs I recorded to analogue tape ,mostly a Nagra, and very lovely it was ,in all sorts of climatic and arduous physical conditions
    Everyday I applied zero level tone to Agfa PER 368 or some equivalent and every time even the sublime Nagra transport responded with an imperfect rendition of that pure sine wave.
    Moving to DAT in the late 80s was an unlovely experience ergonomically, however laying down line up tone on the comically small DAT cassettes was a revelation
    It came back exactly as it went on.
    Moving onto file recording to Compact Flash in the early 00s was the epiphany , at last a mirror of your recording without artefact.
    I still drag out my Nagra IV and wonder at its mechanical brilliance,however compared to my Nagra VI with no moving parts its just a museum piece.

Schoolmaster Bones and rbp like this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Still a better choice than digital fatigue + its 'razors-on-eardrums' effect.

bluesky likes this.
  11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------
    For my 2 cents, I would agree.

rodney sherman and LeeS like this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is what logically makes sense to me too, so I would agree. I just always think that a well done analog mastering of an analog recording/mix (AAA) is the best sound. People can pull out all the numbers they want but my ears love the sound of well mastered vinyl. This is not to say the others, including 16/44, can't sound amazing.

mertoo and LeeS like this.
  13. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I know digital recordings are becoming better and better but from my research, many great musicians still prefer the benefits of analog recording. Some of the modern analog lps mastered from tape sound stunning.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

How many oranges equal the taste of an apple?

dkmonroe, Kyhl and mikemoon like this.
  15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

See what Alan Shaw has to say about analogue on his very informative Harbeth Forum.

Schoolmaster Bones and kevintomb like this.
  16. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

CD quality is good enough to my ears. No surface noises. Lasts a long time. Everything can play it.

SBurke likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Always nice to see that digital finally escaped from being labeled with the same old ear bleeder comments, it gives me fatigue after 90 seconds and the like...

Seriously, what kind of crapola disc spinners do some of you people have?!?

kevintomb and moops like this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

:agree: ..... there's a thread there titled ..... An honest appraisal of vinyl v. digital - romance v. reality ....... interesting stuff.

nieveulv likes this.
  19. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

......Then why does digital sound Great to someone that is anti-digital, when they are not aware it is in fact digital?

Tim 2 and Mohojo like this.
  20. moops

moops Senior Member

Yeah, I can never understand what people are doing (or not doing) to experience the trauma of "digital fatigue" ..... it's kinda funny.

Brother_Rael and kevintomb like this.
  21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

What confuses me, is that almost all sound today, is digital of some kind, TV sound, Blu ray, stuff we hear in stores, literally everwhere we go, we are hearing digital.

How are people fine with hearing that, if it is such an "Ear bleeding thing"?

moops likes this.
  22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

great post!

Yes I have read stuff Alan has said before, and it is at odds with what some in our forum think.

I believe what Mr. Shaw says, about digital being an impediment in "theory", but in practice on real music, the recording itself is always the bottleneck or more exactly the tape hiss or noise of the electronics to make the recording end up being louder than any "Extremely low level sounds" will ever be.

Hence, if we are talking extremely low level sounds on a recording, (( such as -110 to even say up to -80 db )) which are very very rare to begin with, the master tape hiss, will often be at -70 to -55 db or so, and completely limit what the lowest recorded sound is.

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It's all about personal preference . It's pretty close to an even split at are audio club , about half prefer digital .
    One thing we do agree on is to respect each others choices and preferences , if we didn't we'd be a bunch of narrow minded clowns .

mikemoon likes this.
  25. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It depends completely on the quality of mastering. Theory and numbers do not match up with individual differences in hearing and individual preferences in sound. Fans of LPs will tell you that CDs are not up to the task, fans of CDs will tell you it's impossible to get the kind of speed accuracy and bass impact with LPs as with CDs. You won't get a straight answer, there isn't one. In part it's because each of the responders have already demonstrated their preferences with their wallets. It's very rare to encounter people who have state of the art CD and LP playback, not to mention all the high rez digital options. The review of the Vivaldi Stack of Digital playback gear from DCS in the recent Stereophile from Michael Fremer indicates some of the challenges. Fremer is famously pro-analog. He thinks the DCS stack is probably SOTA for digital, but . . .

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-vivaldi-digital-playback-system

A number of people at this forum will say Digital beats Analog all the time. Individual preference rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.