Cleaning enbedded debris in vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyldoneright, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I just tried Dow bathroom cleaner with scrubbing bubbles on an old Patti Page album and it now sounds very good.

2. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

OK, this works also..

I just cleaned a UA John Barry "Goldfinger" mono LP I have owned since the late 1960's and was very cruddy and noisy, I purchased it used and quite pre crud-ed. I used Formula 409 cleaner in the kitchen sink rubbing it in with my fingers and palms, then rinsing with tap and then final rinse with distilled water to remove minerals content of tap water. Dried with a just laundered and dried terry towel. Results: Much quieter now, still have some permanent scratch noise, but the backround "Whishhhhhh" noise is diminished greatly. Also, it's dark black and clean looking, nice. And it seems to have less distortion of the music, perceptably less harshness. Someday, perhaps I might try the "White-Glue" method. Happy listening! R.E.

3. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I remember that stuff. Never used it. I've also heard of people using rubber cement. Very similar to Discofilm except you can't spray it on.

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've been having really good performance from using a plush microfiber towel and VinylZyme Gold. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.