Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #39)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

She was a boozer, a user and a loser on the awesome TV show Strangers With Candy. Her name is Amy Sedaris. You may better recognize her as Jerri Blank from that show:

[​IMG]

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Oh yeah, a Greek American, I know of her brother David Sedaris, cool, thanks!

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Couldn't it be a free bonus for the non-Russian market? :winkgrin: :hide: Or they simply decided that "Sonic Solutions" thingy won't sell any more copies in Russia and excluded its mentioning from all copies sold locally.

4. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

Thanks for that George - funnily enough, in the sleeve notes for the Freddy Kempf CD, one of the writers' (Simon Heighes) assessment of the Gould performances is the exact opposite:

...Glenn Gould, too, communicated in a charismatic and personal way. His first recording of 1955 is challenging and insightful, and inspired pianists - amateur and professional alike - to play Bach with passion as well as precision; in comparison, his last recording of 1981 is mannered and mechanical.

Or did Gould do more than two recordings of the Goldberg and "Gould II" refers to an earlier one than the 1981?

5. George P

Note that I recommended the first Gould (1955), it was Don Satz that preferred the second one (1981.)

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

'Glenn Gould Hum Filter' now available

And there's several 'live' versions that add little—pretty much from early on, so you're getting the '55 Gouldbergs in cruddier sound. Of course, the correct answer for the Gouldbergs is:

[​IMG]

A State of Wonder has the best masterings on CD of the two studio recordings, with the '81 set taken from the analog back-up tapes.

I have a 'Promo' copy of the original 1955 lp issue, the sound is better than any of the reissues.

7. George P

That's the CD set that I have! it's great! :righton:

I thought the 81 set was recorded digitally?

8. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

the tureck performance on vai (with the bust on the cover) already mentioned is very special. for me, if i only had one goldberg set to listen to, it would be this.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Now Mastered for I-Tunes!

Badly, on a Sony 1610, as I recall—"close, closer, I can't hear myself hum!"—I mean the miking was as good as Glenn Gould would allow, but the analog back-up tape had better sound, surprise, surprise.

10. George P

I see, thanks!

11. Tangledupinblue

Tangledupinblue Forum Resident

12. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=293259

A reminder of the classical artists blind comparison #10 thread featuring the Shubert song Erlkonig as transcribed by Liszt for piano. New format for the comparison is one that eschews any ranking for the pure discussion of artistic and technical merits of each performance.

13. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Wanted something different, so I went the Bassoon route..great CD I think. Although a tad expressionless I believe.
    [​IMG]

14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Vivaldi Bassoon concertos are nice.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Brahms: Complete Violin Sonatas - Stefan Jackiw (vln) & Max Levinson (p) [Sony Classical Korea 88697637692 ℗ © 2009 CREDIA, Producer: Stephen Epstein, Executive producer: Jae-Ock Chung, A&R producers: Kang Won-Lee, Soo-Jin Kim, Balance engineer: Todd Whitelock, Assistant engineers: I-Hua Tseng, Drea Young, Recorded in 88.2/24-bit at Purchase College Performing Arts Center, Theater A, Purchase, NY, August 3 - September 2, 2009, Sony Classical Korean Team: Moon-Seon Park, Bori Rheu, Recording issued by Sony Korea under license from CREDIA — these performances are as good as or better than my reference, Suk/Katchen, Jackiw's tone is ravishing, with perfect intonation and his phrasing is mature (these are late Brahms works, after all) and has enough warmth but is not ingratiating, and the recording is demonstration quality does not hurt! — anyone who loves these works should check this out but be forewarned it is only issued in the US by Arkivmusic as a CD-R]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

He doesn't look like He is/was very friendly does He?

17. George P

That's why he was such a great conductor. His players were literally playing as if their life depended on it. :D

18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't like the idea of havnig to purchase a cdr but that's high praise indeed. I have the Decca LP of Suk with Katchen and I agree that this is the reference by which everything else must be judged.

19. Graphyfotoz

Good one George!!!
    A Communist Conductor...pistol under the podium? LOL

20. George P

[​IMG]

Just ordered, to fill a gap in my collection (I don't have anyone in these works. Well, I have Kremer and Afanassiev (are these any good?)) Thanks for the mention, guys!

Also, what do folks think of Yo-Yo Ma and Ax in the Brahms Cello Sonatas?

21. George P

Too late to edit.

This is the one I meant:

[​IMG]

22. Graphyfotoz

I don't own it but I have heard it.
    I thought it was a EXCELLENT performance!
    I think you'll like it a lot George.

23. George P

Thanks, I actually own it and have heard it, but since Brahms chamber music is not my forte, I thought I'd check with the resident Brahms chamber experts.

I just checked my shelves and I also have Busch/Serkin in the Brahms violin sonatas.

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got a reissue. It's really smooth, if that's what you're going for.

25. George P

I'd be going for a romantic interpretation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.