Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #28)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Isn't there something older, though, like from 1958 or so?

3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'll have to defer to the group on this one George... I don't think I have enough experience with historical recordings to give an informed opinion. I listened to the 9th again last night on 'phones (Senn 650) and found it to be quite listenable even "up close" so to speak.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The hot weather in FL has gotten to be too much for you? :winkgrin:

5. coopmv

Kleiber was supposed to be another eccentric ...

6. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, one of a dozen CD's that arrived from MDT two days ago for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

7. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Karajan had as distinctive and recognizable a personal style, as concerned with line as it was with tone, as any other great conductor, which for many, maybe most, will not be appealing in all the music he recorded. That said I get suspicious of some of the putdowns. I suspect some of your Amazon reviewers think their posted opinions heighten their snob credibility.

I also think that to say something like "he peaked in the 60's" can be misleading. In fairness to Robin I understand the point of view -- and it may even be accurate from my standpoint as well -- but still, I can't imagine any of his fans would want to be without the Bruckner, Mahler, and R. Strauss of the 70's and 80's, just to name a few things that come to mind quickly.

Most of all, don't sweat what someone else tells you to like or not to like, irrespective of his credentials or background. It's not that his opinion is worthless. Just that it's hardly ever going to be the last word, and the relative strength of someone's credentials or background doesn't mean much. This occurred to me when I came across a very negative review of Alfred Brendel's Beethoven on Amazon, written by someone who I don't mind admitting at least appeared to know more about the music than I did. I stopped and considered whether that should bother me (because I adore Brendel). But my next thought was that irrespective of whether this guy may have known more about Beethoven than I do, one thing I could be sure of is that Alfred Brendel knows more about Beethoven than some anonymous Amazon reviewer. One can apply this thought process to a lot of things. Keep and open mind and be ready to change it but until that time comes trust your judgment.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Or me, for that matter

The Mahler is growing on me, the Bruckner and R. Strauss isn't.

On the other hand, no one does J. Strauss better.

Seriously.

I was surprised at how much I like hearing Brendel's earlier performances for Vox in the Brilliant Box, particularly in some of the more obscure, quirky "little" sonatas. Some expectations were based on listening to knarly LPs on knarly gear back in the day*. The original Vox Boxes had indifferent mastering and usually horrible surfaces. It's all different properly mastered to CD, one can hear the detailing and care in his performances. And yes, the point of view of someone who has made a life study of the music is far more interesting and valuable than some anonymous scribe venting on some website.

* 1972, FWIW

9. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Holy crap blink around here and your into thread #28 already!! :rolleyes::D

10. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I am starting in on the Harmonia Mundi 2010 set of Shostakovich: The Preludes & Fugues. 2CD + 1CD/DVD. Alexander Melnikov

Marvelous sound and playing.

melnikov_shostakovich.jpg

12. George P

I ordered something recently from Ruslania via amazon, but they have yet to ship and it's been almost a week.

Anyone here have experience ordering from them?

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Now playing:
    • Bartók in the Desert: The Art of Irén Marik [Arbiter 2004 2CD, incredible Liszt and Bartók -- who was Irén Marik? I suggest buying this CD or listening to Spotify to find out!]

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Did you send them an email? Never heard of this seller.

15. George P

Sent an email today so we'll see.

16. John S

John S Forum Resident

#27 was lightnin' fast! :uhhuh:

17. George P

We don't play here in CMC. :)

18. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Just spun M4 from this box:

[​IMG]

Not sure I'm too keen on the boy singer in the fourth movement, though the rest was quite good. I rather prefer hearing Christa Ludwig on HvK's recording.

19. Edgard Varese

And by that I actually meant Edith Mathis. :laugh:

20. coopmv

Jim, You need to visit this corner more often ... :winkgrin:

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

My favorite M2. I prefer Bernstein's earlier M1 and M3, and HvK for M4.

22. coopmv

I am looking forward to listening to this CD, which just arrived 2 days ago ...

[​IMG]

I did not know Bernstein actually conducted the BPO during Karajan lifetime and Bernstein passed away only about a year after HvK did ...

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I haven't listened to it yet without the a/c on. I guess I should put it on my computer.

24. George P

I like to let my A/C run all day at 60 degrees, so that I can come home, turn it off and listen to classical music for a few hours. I often unplug the refrigerator as well. I'm in a studio apt.

Now playing and enjoying:

[​IMG]

Carnegie Hall, 1969

1. Sonata Reminiscenza in A Minor Op. 38 (Medtner)
    2. Scherzo and March from the opera "The Love for Three Oranges" (Prokofiev)
    3. Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte (Ravel)
    4. Jeux D'eaux
    5. Etude No. 26 in A Flat Major Op. posth. (Chopin)
    7. Prelude in B Minor (Bach-Siloti)

I have volume 1 as well.

25. Edgard Varese

I love the M3 in this box, particularly the final movement. I haven't heard the earlier one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.