Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #26)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have some early Decca cds with Charles Detoit and the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, namely Ravel Daphnis and Chloe, Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition and Saint Sans Organ Symphony.
    The sound is marvelous and the performances are top notch.

2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Another first listen.

Attached Files:

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Did you really just say "I was curious George?":winkgrin:

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Then that would make me Rose River Bear. :laugh:

5. John S

John S Forum Resident

Right now...

Shostakovich
    Quartet No. 1, Op. 49
    ~
    Beethoven
    String Quartet, Op. 95

Carpe Diem String Quartet
    Live, Mees Hall, Capital University, Columbus, OH. 2007

[​IMG]

Our local quartet, who also recorded these for Naxos:

Attached Files:

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Late last year Sony France released this box set (which looks to be available through Amazon UK and maybe elsewhere). IIRC the contents of the box are identified on an earlier thread. I believe I noted at the time, that it seemed to be designed as an introduction to classical music. As I recall there was no post-romantic era music, but it had a number of seminal recordings from the Sony/Columbia/BMG/RCA library. And it's all redbook.

If a classical music lover wanted a place to start an investigation, this could be a very good starting point.

Attached Files:

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Summertime!

Who really knows? Straaange things do happen here, I can't even check if you were dating or... posting all those hot-induced polls under different nicknames. :whistle:

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Playing now...

[​IMG]

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

A cool idea and probably a great bang for a buck (esp. if scored under $60). They also released a similarly packaged jazz box set (I had already owned some of the discs, otherwise I could have pulled the trigger).

BTW, there's also a bigger Sony box for a baroque novice. Looks lovely. Can't comment on the value of the included recordings but some of them are long OOP. Recently it was on sale at jpc.de and the price (less than $50 shipped) was very tempting even for me despite I own at least a half of these works (but not the performances). But in the end I voted for some new music...

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think all the recommendations for a beginner above are great.

I would just say get the Living Stereo SACDs now (like today!) while you can still pick them up for what are bargain prices.

There are also the DG 111 years boxes which are great value

11. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

You have to get this....it is the best Schumann Fantasy on record IMO. The Schubert is good also. But the Schumann is stunning.

curzon.jpg

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I meant to recommend the Living Stereo discs as well. The sound quality is fantastic. I have all but one.

The one reservation I have with them as an introduction to classical music is their limited scope. No Mozart, less than a disc's worth of Bach. The Sony box seems to go try very hard to cover the breadth of classical music (at least up to 1900). There's orchestral music, piano music, chamber music, vocal music.

13. WilsonTTC

WilsonTTC Forum Resident

Yuja Wang will be playing at the Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco in the next few days. she'll be playing Bartók's Second Piano Concerto with MTT and SFS on Sunday, Bay Area fans beware.:cool:

14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I'll be there. And as of now, I have one spare ticket for Saturday night and Sunday afternoon

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I suddenly feel the urge to own a recording of Schubert's String Quartet No. 14 ('Death and the Maiden'). Can you guys recommend one with a brilliant performance, outstanding sound quality, that's easy to get and dirt cheap? :D

16. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I second this optimistic request. :goodie: :laugh:

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

[​IMG]

18. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

19. wolfram

A very promising start. I could get that for 12 Euros. Not bad. And the cover artwork is sexy too. :D

20. wolfram

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Here are two of my favorites. I don't make sound quality recommendations, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Quin...artet/dp/B000001GXF/ref=cm_lmf_tit_18_rsrsrs0

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Stri...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1308175313&sr=1-2

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Belcea Quartet's 2010 2CD on EMI Classics is a good option because you get the big three Schubert string quartet/quintet works in one package, and it's on sale at Presto for 6.35 euros.
    • String Quintet in C major, D956
    • String Quartet No. 15 in G major, D887
    • String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, D810 'Death and the Maiden'

Attached Files:

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You 're welcome, there are so many good recordings of the "Death and the Maiden" that is hard to choose sometimes.

24. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Yep, don't expect uber-bargains, sex must be paid for. :cool: But... is she dead? Ooops... :ignore:

25. wolfram

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.