Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'll bet Harnoncourt's will be good. I don't think I've ever heard anything by him I didn't like.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Harnoncourt is really my all-around conductor. From early music to baroque to classical, he has done it all. I cannot think of another conductor, dead or alive, who is as versatile as he is ...

3. coopmv

Now playing SACD3 from this set ...

[​IMG]

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

1. I wonder if he'd consider conducting Mahler. His was the first Mozart I started listening to, back in 1986. Somehow I ended up with a lot of Hogwood and Mackerras instead.

2. Look for a PM from me.

5. coopmv

For oratorios, if you like that subgenre of baroque music, there are few conductors who can surpass Hogwood when it comes to Handel oratorios. But most English conductors stay away from Bach passions.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks. I will check them out and compare the next time I'm looking for something special. Usually jpc is my first adress for classical SACDs and DVD-A.

7. coopmv

Most of the CD purchases I made over the past 18 months were from MDT or Presto Classical, another excellent British e-tailer. As long as I do not have to pay duties or any VAT, I come out ahead.

8. wolfram

Do you guys know this one?

[​IMG]

It's a Linn recording as well. I've only heard it twice now, since I'm still discovering Bach's works. I liked it very much, but I'm not nearly as experienced in classical music as you are.

Just curious.

9. wolfram

Might be different for me, since jpc is in Germany and as long as I spend the minimum of 50 Euros I don't pay anything extra.

10. coopmv

I ordered this set from MDT a few weeks ago and will get to the set later today. Generally, only Dutch or German (or Austrian like Harnoncourt) conductors will do Bach passions right. But the price for this Linn set is very compelling and a few previous CD's by this ensemble have turned out to be quite good ...

11. wolfram

Let us know what you think, please.

:wave:

12. coopmv

Even though the VAT will not apply to me if I buy from JPC, that Deutsche Post shipping rate is high enough to negate any price discount.

13. wolfram

Yep, that Deutsche Post is a pricey bunch.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Is a Belgian acceptable too? ;)

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6361

15. coopmv

Second new SMP for today ... Now playing CD1 from this SACD set, which arrived about a week ago from MDT ...

[​IMG]

16. coopmv

17. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this SACD set, which arrived about a week ago from MDT ...

[​IMG]

18. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I find that astonishing since whenever I order something FROM the UK, which I do pretty often from audio affairs since the pound was slow against the Euro (past tense sadly for me) I have to pay an awful lot on porto, more than what I pay with Deutsche Post, when i send something to the UK, mostly records and/or CD's, but also frequently.
    maybe the US destination is cheaper from the Uk than from germany. Probably more traffic/planes in the air ?

You guys are into some heavy BACH stuff at this time of year ?
    I came across just another nice Chopin cycle from an unknown to me before polish piano payer, who won that polish Chopin prize in 1955 against a very strong competition. Have only heard CD1 of the 2 CD set and the tone is nice the playing interesting, only the sound of the piano recording is a bit on the tinny side sometimes- probably due to the age of some of the actual recordings - from 1949 onwards. CD set is from 1994.

Would probably spell his name wrong so i just link a picture if i can find one of the CD...

Attached Files:

19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Below is another sweetie i really enjoyed the last days...
    plus I wanna show you what DG has on stock today. They are getting their toes wet with electronic music by Techno artists in a classical remix way. But this looks kinda fishy ...

Attached Files:

20. coopmv

I have the same recordings in this set. Brilliant Classics licensed the recordings from UniversalMusic ...

[​IMG]

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently grooving to.

410AQ8S3WXL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

22. coopmv

I have more recordings by Karajan than by any other conductors ... :righton:

23. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this SACD set ...

[​IMG]

The performance has been quite competent for a British ensemble. In fact, I found the choral singing quite lovely.

24. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ditto.

25. coopmv

Our collections simply reflect the stats that Karajan has made more recordings than any other conductors, dead or living. :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.