Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I recently received this album of Respighi. It is a 2010 reissue from Decca Eloquence of Australia. (Available thru Presto) The Pines and the Fountains were recorded in 1963. The Rossini/Respighi La Boutique Fantasque is a rarity from 1950 with the London Symphony Orchestra recorded at Kingsway Hall. I am enjoying this reissue, but then I like many of Ansermet's interpretations.

RespighiAnsermet (3).jpg

A younger Ansermet:
    Ansermet1 (4).jpg

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's funny, that I have this CD in the top of my "to listen to" stack. Along with Anne-Sophie Mutter's Penderecki Violin Conc. No. 2 with the LSO also on DG, from 1995.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Anne-Sophie Mutter's Penderecki Violin Conc. No. 2 with the LSO on DG, from 1995

She photographs well...

Attached Files:

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've had this CD on tonight, John Antill's "Corroboree." This is the EMI recording, I believe it was an Australian only issue on CD.

This LP is on the TAS "superdisc" list. A real rare one.

Attached Files:

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Yes see what you mean

One to look out for :)

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The CD is no "bargain bin cutout" either baby!

7. butch

butch Senior Member

Ah,she looks like one of my cousins back in the Fatherland here oddly enough. I know what Andre' Previn saw in her BUT not vice versa!:winkgrin: I've not heard this recording BUT I will be tracking it down rather shortly.

ASM is somewhat easy on the eyes but she has tons of technique to back it up truth be told.

I'm not that happy with some of the DG CDs in a sonic sense. Did anyone buy the 111 years of DG box set? Uniformly, how do you perceive the mastering on those? It seems like these were not remastered for the box though.......

8. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

BVT

I recently got that and it's gotta be the best rendition of the 4 Seasons I have ever heard! :righton:

[​IMG]

9. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Yupper I have that one also and it's another great "Living Stereo".
    I don't think any of the SACD LS are real expensive even today.....$13 max?

10. butch

butch Senior Member

Nope BUT there was a feeding frenzy when Steve Hoffman started a thread urging forum members to go out and buy the LS SACDs before they were all gone. It was kind of interesting to have people who had probably thought that Respighi and Debussy were Italian and French fashion designers beforehand delving into this type of music! :winkgrin: The more the merrier I guess.....we need all the people we can get to keep classical alive, especially in the US.

@ Chris R I enjoyed the Bartok one quite immensely both performance wise and sonically. It's a decent introduction for a neophyte to Bartok in some small way as well .

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

But what's about her playing? :laugh: IIRC, this recording isn't mentioned as a reference one...

12. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

She ranks among the very few really blesed live, esp. her tone is so pure and clean and beautiful, a feat not that many violinists share. This darn instrument can sound like a torture device - not under her treatment. HvK made her the first violin in the BPO when she was 14 years old. Does that tll you something ?
    That Vivaldi from when she was 19 years old is a livin proof. Outstanding ! There are others ...

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Added to my collection today. Thanks again to all who recommended, especially Robin L. I've only listened to Five and Six so far, but the sound quality has been excellent!

[​IMG]

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Agreed, I really like her way of playing but I was asking about this particular Penderecki CD. :wave:

BTW, do you consider her first take on Four Seasons under Karajan as the best of two? I'm planning to get one of them (the second was even issued on now long OOP DVD-Audio) but haven't made my mind yet...

15. Baron Von Talbot

Only know the first one and think that is a good one...the best quattro stagione I heard , so why not start there and maybe get the other one in a few years ?

16. Baron Von Talbot

For the Beethoven heads out there, this is a fabulous addition to your collection. Breathtakingly beautiful...

Attached Files:

17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

One of the great performances caught on disc. Never been bettered. :cheers:

18. What is that CD like? Wonder if I should get it.

19. Rose River Bear

It is awesome. That is if you like KP style. The other stuff on it is great also. :cheers:

20. Thanks. Is the CD still in print? Was there a hi-rez version released as well?

21. Baron Von Talbot

My goodness, have you ever played a String Quartet at excessive volumes ?
    It wasn't my original attention , but listening to this awespme recorded Haydn Op. 20 Hobokens I just couldn't resist. First it was my aim to spot the exact position of each instrument, but slowly but surely that became self evident and the beauty and strength of the compositions and the interpretations took me in completely. Every single stroke of a bow fit within the picture and at the best moments the tiniest elements of the music fit together like nuts in a shell directly in the center stage. No subwoofer attached - directly from the inbuilt CD player to my Sonus faber toys on Empire stands around 2.50 meters apart from each other. Volume was 55 from 76 maximum db - (89 / 126 wpc at 8 Ohm)...

review audiophile audition in english :
    http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php...de&filename=kritiken.php&id=1021&bestnr=01870

This little nice looking HiFi set-up is excellent for all types of music, but especially for classical music. The 3 dimension image is awesome plus the mids and highs are so nice and ighly resolving. Add a decent subwoofer for the lows ad the reverb of the stage and orchestra and it's all good.
    For these quaretes you don't even need a subwoofer...playing now an LP of Brahms by Krystian Zimmerman on DG 1980 and watchng Bayern beat Lyon in the Champions League...

Attached Files:

22. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes the 2001 reissue Ashkenazy/Cleveland is still available here on Amazon for 7.98 or as low as 2.19 new from third party sellers. I don't know of any hi-rez release of this.:sigh:

23. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

NP:

Mahler: Symphony #5 / Václav Neumann, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (Supraphon 11 1976-2 011)

I'm listening to this for the first time - in fact, it's my first time hearing anything by Mahler at all. The recording's a bit too distant for my taste, but I'm definitely enjoying the music. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

24. Rose River Bear

Welcome to the world of Mahler. Be prepared to become hooked. Wait till you hear the adagio. Incredible stuff. :cheers:

25. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Ormandy owned the 5th back in the day.

d11b419328a0bc46f47fe110.L.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.