Classic Records To Reissue Dylan's Freewheelin' on vinyl*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bonjo, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Yep, unfortunately I think my noisy original mono is still going to be my "go to" disk. Ta least it gets a little quieter with each play.:)

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I wish they would do Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, and Desire as two-lp 45 rpm sets. All three of those albums are very long and push the limits of how much music can fit on a single 33 1/3 rpm lp. They would probably work just right, though, as 45 rpm lps with two to three songs and 12 - 14 minutes of music per side.

3. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Preserving the integrity of the sequence of songs in both versions allows the listener the recreate the experience of what it was like hearing both, as whole works, for the first time. And yes, for many, part of the attraction of the LP format is the way the sequencing of each album side was presented.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Any news of a release date on this?

5. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

bump!

6. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

All this time and not a peep on the Classic site as far as I can tell. I'm beginning to lose faith on this one.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Sundazed Dylan I have is terrific...perhaps they have the title...

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It's only been 3 months. Aqualung took well over a year IIRC...

9. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Aren't all the tracks that were in alternate versions on that issue released, by now, on the various compilations? "You're A Big Girl Now" (alt) is on Biograph, the other 4 cuts, if memory serves, are on "Bootleg Series 1-3." So it's in our power already to assemble a well-remastered official boot of the suppressed "Blood on the Tracks."

Not on vinyl, of course, if that's what makes the difference.

10. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

No, of the five tracks only two have surfaced, and I'm not sure they are the same mixes as the the originals. The versions of "Idiot Wind" and "If You See Her Say Hello" on the "Bootleg Series" are different performances. "Lily Rosemary..." has never been released, IIRC.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yeah, the actual acetate recording of "Idiot Wind" is a completely different beast. Although if memory serves, it might be derived from the same basic take, it has a few vocal punch-ins that amend the lyrics. More importantly, it has some organ overdubs that add immeasurably to the song. Just the perfect embelishment to add some regret and even spookiness to the recording.

Also from memory, I think the takes of "Tanged Up In Blue" (which actually has some small lyrical differences) and "If You See Her Say Hello" are different. "You're A Big Girl Now" is the same take, but remixed (which at least indicates Sony is still in posession of the multitracks).

12. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Sorry if I go off topic here, but I was thinking that putting your own BOTT version together can get a bit like all those DIY 'Smile' versions that people have done over the years.

I think "If You See Her Say Hello" from the acetate is so much better than the version officially released - it's darker, slower and beautifully sad.

However, I can never make up my mind about which "Idiot Wind" I prefer. The official BOTT version is powerful and angry but sometimes seems to jar against the tracks which were recorded earlier. I would lean more towards the acetate version but the organ has a bit too much of an obvious 'wind' metaphor which can get a touch irritating. Having said that - both are just great.

Another take I rate more highly than on the official BOTT is "You're A Big Girl Now" - the Biograph version totally kills it for me.

...and lastly, what about "Up To Me". A great loss not to have that essential track on the LP.

13. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Idiot Wind to me is just not angry enough on the acetate version.

14. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I can see why you might say that. But I tend to agree with author Paul Williams, when he wrote in his second volume of Bob Dylan: Performing Artist:

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Does anyone know whatever happened to this proposed re-issue of the original Freewheelin w/alternate tracklisting?

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I can't get too specific, but my understanding is that Sony changed its mind about letting Classic release this. It may come out on another label at some point.

17. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Bummer. I was really looking forward to this release.

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I bet it has something to do with the Bootleg Series. Maybe not the one that's coming out but I bet they want to keep options open.

19. John DeAngelis

It's more of a political thing. Let's just say that there were other labels in negotiations with Sony over this lp and at some point it was decided to go back to square one in the procedure. I know nobody likes to wait, especially after something is announced, but from what I've heard, I think Sony did the fair thing. The whole thing centers around a misunderstanding of sorts. As Steve often says, if I told you any more I'd have to shoot you. :)

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:yikes:

I knew we'd drag it out of ya ;)

Sounsd like there is still hope so that's a good thing .

21. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I understood when Sundazed put their LP of Freewheelin out that Dylan did not want them to issue the alternate version, why would he want anyone else to do it now?

22. John DeAngelis

I've been wondering that myself!

23. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

On a scale of 1 to 10 for disappointment in Classic not releasing (or being allowed to release) this, I'd rank this as a 42.:realmad:

24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The four tracks deleted from the original Freewheelin' have already been released on Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, if I'm not mistaken.

The appeal of this release is having the original album sequence on vinyl, not having "Let Me Die In My Footsteps" released for the first time.

25. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i guess no one is afraid of the john birch society anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.