Cinerama returns to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Was there a Cinerama theater in Phoenix, AZ?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Only the 70mm variant, at the Bethany Theatre, with the first film there being Grand Prix. There was also the long-lamented 70mm Cine Capri, which was (from photos I've seen) an AMAZING 70mm theatre, although not affiliated with Cinerama.

Matt

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they did try to a point. I've read comments about tiny electric motors used to "jitter" the screen edges to make the edge lines less visible (blurring the edges), but I don't know how extensively this was attempted. I think by 1962 or so, that was about as good as Cinerama would ever get, and it was an incredible achievement, given the technical challenges they had to face.

Another big issue was sync sound. Rolling around three simultaneous cameras on a giant metal frame was bad enough, but the apparatus created lots of mechanical noise, which was very audible if the actors were close enough to the camera. As a result, a lot of Cinerama dialog is looped after the fact, and it looks (and sounds) it.

I'm not sure if that's true. I think they can still put quite a bit of light behind a big piece of Imax film, and sharpness is largely a question of lenses and lighting. Judging by what I saw last year on Dark Knight, that's one of the sharpest-looking pictures I've ever seen -- and depth-of-field is very tough with 65mm negative.

I agree that fake Imax -- using digital projectors -- is a real sham, not even in the neighborhood of Cinerama. BTW, I bought a Cinerama hat when I went to my last screening of a real 3-projector film at the Ceramic Dome in Hollywood, and I still wear it proudly. I'm a fan of the process just out of nostalgia, despite my annoyance with its technical limitations.

4. MLutthans

If you are referring to jigglos, they are still used for every screening.

Matt

5. MLutthans

Folks in SoCal can catch genuine 3-projector Cinerama again this weekend:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-0412-cinerama-20120412,0,7537749.story

By the way, John Sittig (pictured in that article) is a dear friend. His birthday is November 7, my birthday is November 7, and the Cinerama Dome had its grand opening on ....wait for it....November 7. We discovered this commonality when we shared a birthday in the booth of the Cinerama Dome several years back. :)

John puts on a heck of a show -- don't miss out!

Matt

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those who live here SHOULD GO! No excuse not to. This is real 3 projector Cinerama, dudes. Not to be missed.

7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

It is an amazingly good print & presentation. Saw it at the Dome two years ago for half the price, of coarse at the showing, TCM was not getting a cut.:wave:

8. MLutthans

^^^^^At least part of the $$$ still goes to a good cause. How so? Bing Crosby initially bought the rights to the "The Way the West Was Won" stories from Life Magazine, and turned them into an LP for RCA Victor. Years later, Irene Dunne was looking for a way to raise funds for Saint Johns Children's Hospital in Santa Monica. Bing sold the rights, with the stipulation that a portion of the proceeds goes to the hospital. That agreement is still in effect today, so whenever the print gets dusted off in Los Angeles, Seattle, or the UK, a check goes to the hospital. That's pretty cool!

Matt

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree, it's quite an experience and really a unique part of history. I was just telling a younger friend of mine about Cinerama, and said, "it was sort of the 1960s version of Imax: another immersive cinema experience with a huge screen, set up with assigned seating and premium ticket prices."

10. MLutthans

If you go, do yourself a favor and sit about 10 or 15% closer than you might do usually. Why? Due to technical issues with the current screen configuration in the Dome, the screen width is not as wide as the original design would have used, so the immersion effect is a little less than it should be. We aren't talking earth-shattering difference, but the impact is definitely lessened. I posted some of the techie mumbo jumbo here and here, if you are bored stiff.

The differences seem minor in the photos, but that screen is so huge that there's actually a loss of about 20 feet of screen width (10 per side -- maybe a bit less), but you can sit closer to somewhat compensate for that. Don't sit in the mezzanine and expect a "POW" experience. Skootch up to the front!

Matt

PS - here's one of my favorite old photos of the Dome, showing the original Altec A2 VOTTs, with wings, and the dual HF drivers and horns.

Attached Files:

11. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I wonder how those speakers would look in my living room. I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind. :)

Chad

12. MLutthans

Bump -- the show is coming up Sunday!

Matt

13. MLutthans

^^^^^^^ One more bump. Show at 9:15 AM Sunday.

14. MLutthans

I'm told they had 700+ for today's 9AM show, including Debbie Reynolds, who they filmed IN CINERAMA in the lobby -- pretty cool.

Matt

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Very :cool: Debbie Reynolds! That's roughly 50 years time between her first Cinerama shoot and this.

16. TeacFan

The Dome has 2001 showing in 70mm Sunday the 22nd. They also ran it today (the 15th) as I just discovered.

17. MLutthans

The schedule for the upcoming Cinerama 60th Anniversary bash at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood has been announced:

60th Anniversary Cinerama Festival
    September 28-October 4, 2012
    Tentative Schedule

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28

10:00am
    FREE
    IN THE PICTURE (2012)
    The first new film photographed in 3 strip CINERAMA in 50 years.
    Extras: Behind the scenes documentary on the filming.
    60 minutes

12:00 noon
    SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE (1958)
    Digital presentation, remastered from original negative.
    142 minutes

3:00pm
    CINERAMA HOLIDAY (1955)
    Extra: break-down reel.
    159 minutes

7:00pm
    HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962)
    Presented in 3 strip CINERAMA.
    Extra: short on film locations and 3 strip Renault automobile commercial.
    195 minutes

11:00pm
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    Presented in 2K Digital
    158 minutes

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29

THE GOLDEN HEAD (1965)
    Digital presentation, remastered from 65mm negative.
    110 minutes

12:45pm
    THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)
    Presented in 3 strip CINERAMA
    Original print courtesy National Media Museum, Bradford England.
    155 minutes

4:00pm
    SEARCH FOR PARADISE (1957)
    Original print courtesy of John Mitchell. (color faded to magenta)
    Extra: Break-down reel with Lowell Thomas and Dimitri Tiomkin.
    140 minutes

SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD (1956)
    Extra: IN THE PICTURE in 3 strip CINERAMA, New York premiere and breakdown reel.
    192 minutes

11:00pm
    HOLIDAY IN SPAIN (1961)
    Digital presentation remastered from 65mm negative.
    118 minutes

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30

CINERAMA’S RUSSIAN ADVENTURE (1966)
    Digital presentation remastered from 65mm negative.
    142 minutes

1:00pm
    WINDJAMMER: THE VOYAGE OF THE CHRISTIAN RADICH (1958)
    Digital presentation, remastered from Swedish Film Institute 35mm composite print.
    Extra: Reconstruction short and break-down reel.
    171 minutes

4:30pm
    IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD, WORLD (1963)
    Presented in 70mm Ultra Panavision.
    Extra: Cinerama Dome construction and “Mad World” premiere.
    180 minutes

8:15pm
    THE 60th ANNIVERSARY SCREENING OF THIS IS CINERAMA (1952)
    Extra: IN THE PICTURE presented in 3 strip CINERAMA and Q&A, and behind the scenes documentary
    200 minutes

MONDAY, OCTOBER 1

12:00noon
    SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD (1956)
    Digital Presentation Extras: Break-down reel and premiere newsreel
    165 minutes

3:20pm
    SOUTH SEAS ADVENTURE (1958)
    Digital presentation
    Extra: IN THE PICTURE presented in 3 strip CINERAMA
    165 minutes

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM (1962)
    155 minutes

10:15pm
    CINERAMA HOLIDAY (1955)
    Digital presentation.
    Extra: IN THE PICTURE presented in 3 strip CINERAMA, and break-down reel.
    186 minutes

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2

1:00pm
    CINERAMA’S RUSSIAN ADVENTURE (1966)
    Digital presentation.
    142 minutes

4:30pm
    WINDJAMMER, THE VOYAGE OF THE CHRISTIAN RADICH (1958)
    Digital presentation
    Extra: IN THE PICTURE presented in 3 strip CINERAMA.
    171 minutes

8:15pm
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    Presented in 2K digital
    158 minutes

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3, 2012
    No Cinerama showings due to AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE Anniversary Celebration at ArcLight Hollywood

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4

12:30pm
    SEARCH FOR PARADISE (1957)
    Presented in 3 strip CINERAMA.
    Extra: Break-down reel
    138 minutes

3:45pm
    THIS IS CINERAMA (1952)
    132 minutes

HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962)
    Extras: Q&A, Location short, Renault Commercial in 3 strip CINERAMA
    210 minutes

18. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

http://azmemory.azlibrary.gov/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=splrem&CISOPTR=72&action=2&DMSCALE=100&DMWIDTH=512&DMHEIGHT=479&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0

Kachina Cinerama - Scottsdale
    Don't think it was a "real" Cinerama Theater
    Torn down in 1989

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, I'm sure the fans will complain about 2001 being shown in digital and not film!

I admire the dedication of anybody insane enough to attempt making a new Cinerama film nowadays...

Reportedly, tickets go on sale around July 23 here in LA:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f8/t006711.html

Will post an Arclight link when they have the ticket reservation page up.

20. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I saw it at the Cineerama dome earlier this year which was a DP and when they Archlight employee announced that it was going to be a Digital Projection, there was some groans but once they started projecting it, Everyone was amazed!

Is there a link to this schedule for us to buy tickets?

21. MLutthans

^^^^Yes and yes.

By the way, for the "antique audio nuts" around here: Do not miss Search for Paradise. This is the same original (badly faded) print that played in Seattle about 10 years ago, flown in from a collector in Australia. The sound is buttery in the extreme: multiple U47s, each feeding its own speaker channel in the theatre, all-analog on mag film. The film is boring, the picture is totally faded to pink, but it's worth catching for the sound, IMO. Once MGM got involved with Cinerama shortly after this picture, the sound quality -- while still excellent -- was altogether different, and this is a rare chance to catch the "apex" of 7-channel Cinerama sound in it's original non-Hollywood-ized incarnation. (The sound on 1952's THIS IS CINERAMA, recorded largely via Altec 639-series mics, is el-stinko by comparison, folks, and 1962's HOW THE WEST WAS WON is big-screen sound MGM style more that Cinerama style. It's entirely different.)

Also, note that THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM is being shown via a print that is flown in from England, where it just recently arrived from Australia! It likely will never reach these shores again. This is THE print (singular) that survives.

Matt

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's good news. I saw in projected in 70mm there about 12 years ago. The print was beat to hell and the film was projected slightly out of focus! I was so angry and disappointed that I got my money back and left.

Here's the theater in Honolulu that was magic to me when I was a kid. It's now an auto part store. I remember seeing 2001, Its A Mad.....Mad world, Ice Station Zebra and others there. Magic.

[​IMG]

23. MLutthans

The Pawa'a (Cinerama) in Honolulu was a very cool theatre! I was there on closing weekend, and came back to LA with (to quote the Cinerama guys there) "about $20k" in impossible-to-find Cinerama projector parts that were sitting up in the projection booth. Trivia: If you go see 3-strip Cinerama projection at the Dome in Hollywood, you are seeing it via the SAME projectors that literally sat at the port glass, unused, in Honolulu from about 1963 until the theatre's closure. That booth is also where I found this odd piece of 70mm alignment film: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/special/gwtw.htm and this fun little Gone with the Wind artifact: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/road-gwtw1.htm

Matt

24. TeacFan

Academy Of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences:The Last 70mm Film Festival

I guess, no one is catching this event. It is sold out & last night they ran Disney's 1959 Sleeping Beauty. Great print, ho-hum of a flick. Last week it was Mad Mad World with a live appearance before the film of the remaining actors in discussion. Jonathan Winters was in a wheelchair & Stan Freberg hobbled to his chair with a cane. Billy Crystal was moderator. Print was excellent. They make a big deal out of the fact that the films are not digital. A series ticket cost 20 bucks. Next week is Grand Prix..& the Academy's Host mentioned that this film is not on anyones top ten list & is being shown in some odd form that not many theaters are equipped to handle. Not sure what he was talking about. Eva Marie Saint will be in attendance. There is a stand-by line, if anyone is interested.

Thursday night is Laurence Of Arabia in a new 4K digital format. This is not part of the the above series. Again sold out & cost $5.00.

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/events/2012/07/70mm.html

25. MLutthans

Well....Grand Prix is 70mm Cinerama -- an often misunderstood and ill-defined format, but one that can, with this particular title (and most others), be run on any screen -- but, uniquely, it used a lot of wide-angle photography (not fish-eye stuff, but pretty "out there" in places) that looked REALLY COOL (whether or not it was "correct") on that deeply-curved Cinerama screen. I'm always amazed at how many people, upon hearing "Cinerama," think "Grand Prix." It clearly left an impression with those who saw it in its original Cinerama exhibition.

I believe the Academy's print is an answer print, with no soundtrack, so the sound will be coming off a hard drive.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.