"Christmas Songs" (Columbia) by Sinatra (incl. 2019 HD release updates)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Got the iTunes Download - Great Sound! terrific!

MMM and Bob F like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Glad you like it, Markus! :)

MarkusGermany likes this.
  3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Merry Christmas! Picked up the new 2019 hi-res mastering, 24/192 download of Christmas Songs by Sinatra the other day. So crystal clear. That warm 40s sound! Beautiful.

Simon A, MMM, wvk3 and 2 others like this.
  4. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Agreed! I love it.

MMM likes this.
  5. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

The calendar's just flipped to Jan' 6... 2020.. *can you believe that? 2020?... and I'm spinning this one. Not sure why... the tree and all the decorations are days gone and packed away here at the Pants Party household... but this album is so damn blue and I felt like saying goodbye to the holidays. With a few Gin and tonics. Memories are richer remembered, I say. And none richer are the days most recent. So, let's dive in...

Some thoughts on the album itself.... I've always found it a tad off-kilter. It's dramatic and somewhat solemn. Dark. Heavy is even a better word. I'm really liking it, in this out of place January setting. By off-kilter, let me say, that's a good thing... since a genre can easily get cluttered with everything else -- yet, at the same time, there's nothing off kilter at all about these renditions. They're actually hard-hitting Christmas songs -- from the 1940s. The decade that defined the cultural reality of the holiday. I don't know if they still have it, but there used to be a station on some satellite services called "40's Christmas" -- so, that's my point. The 1940s. Christmas. Gimme.

The album does have some "up beat" moments, but, in large the album is pretty deep. If Christmas is nothing but crap to you, this isn't going to be an album you'll enjoy. Frank Sinatra and most of the nation during the 1940s clearly took the holiday seriously. However, if you're a Grinch or maybe even a Scrooge -- sick of the holiday cheer and unable to see past the hustle, travel and forced-festivities that make real sentiments seem robotic -- you might actually need to listen to this album. In many ways, as programmed, this might be some of the most intensely touching Christmas music you'll hear. And most of it won't be playing at your local mall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  6. ecoutez

ecoutez Forum Resident

It's been a difficult year for all of us. I've only recently found out this hi-res download existed. Christmas is coming, will soon be time to buy it, download it and crank it up!

wvk3, MMM, Rockford & Roll and 2 others like this.
  7. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

You won‘t be disappointed.

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

A new Sinatra Christmas LP, with ten tracks from the Columbia years, is due this season:

Christmas With Frank Sinatra (Opaque White Vinyl) - Amazon.com Music

Release Date: October 7, 2022
    Product Type: 150 Gram Colored Vinyl LP
    Label: Sony / Legacy Recordings
    Catalog No.: 997649
    UPC: 194399764916

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[ …with thanks to Andrew Trager for the heads-up. ]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2022
  9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It would have been nice I think if Sony had chosen to reissue Christmas Dreaming instead. I am glad to have a copy in superb condition.

[​IMG]

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Different song order and track list: “Winter Wonderland” (radio?) substituted for “O Little Town of Bethlehem,” and only one version of “White Christmas.” [See: This post]

No clue yet about which takes or mastering on this new limited-edition vinyl. Calling @Granata Chuck.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    Simon A likes this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Screenshot_20220916-192224.png
    If you go to Amazon and click on the "Format" button beneath the cover photo, this release appears to be lumped in (conflated?) With an EU gray market 14-song release.
    Screenshot_20220916-192601.png

12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I don’t have any Columbia era Frank on vinyl yet. I’m pumped!