"Christmas Songs" (Columbia) by Sinatra (incl. 2019 HD release updates)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack White, Feb 8, 2008.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Got that book, actually; would recommend it also. It's a nice blend between Sinatra session info (information which in its entirety would fill volumes, I suspect!) and recording history.

2. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Do you think I'm crazy to consider swapping out the booklets?

Dexter

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Well, from what you (and others) have described here, it sounds to me like there was a drop in the printing quality on SOME reissues of this CD. But what matters most is the music. After all, it was an inexpensive purchase, and how many times will you want to read the booklet anyway?

Crazy, no. A tad obsessive, perhaps. (I'm not one to talk, though, as my preference would be to hang on to BOTH editions. :D)

4. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I also have both versions of this cd and I also see the exact same color variations that you have.

To my eyes, it only looks like the older booklet is "darker" while the newer booklet is "lighter". Probably when they added the gold border someone decided to "lighten-up" the color in whatever software they were using.

It doesn't bother me. I'm keeping both cd's (I got them both pretty cheap - and both new!)

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I got a copy of the '04 CD today at Amoeba for $4.99. The booklet is clearly printed and is identical to my '94 copy. (Weird that the year 2004 is nowhere to be found anywhere).

To be honest, I wasn't sold intially on the new remastering until I got to track 3 "Adestes Fideles". all of a sudden it hit me like a pail of cold water. It is "lively" and crystal-clear!

I never knew of the difference in this remaster till this thread. Many thanks!:wave:

6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thanks for that report, Paul. I was beginning to think I was the only one here whose booklet doesn't look like a photocopy. ;)

7. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

I'm on the hunt. They're out there.

8. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Just ordered a "gold bordered" from an alibris seller. The UPC clinched it. $7.10 total w/ expedited shipping. :goodie:

I'll let you all know how the booklet compares.

Michael

9. YorkeS9

YorkeS9 Forum Resident

Dont buy the CD on amazon.de from "Monostereo" "Fulfilled by amazon". The amazon picture has the golden border, the CD not.

10. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Oh no, oh no, oh no

So the package came today. It's here! Expedited shipping from Half Price Books ($3.50), Waltham MA. YES!

Got inside and TORE it open. There it is. Gold bordered. OMG! Gold bordered! It's beautiful. Flipped it over - bar code 2796. I did it!! I did it!

Let's bask in the moment. It's here, it's rare and...it's MINE! 2004 remastered Sinatra Columbia Christmas disc. In my hands! Gloria in excelsis Deo.

Opened the jewel case and...OMG (again), Oh no, oh my God no...it can't be, it can't...it's...it's...EMPTY! I nailed it. Nailed it! Except...NO DISC!

Denial. Anger. Regret. Denial. Anger. Regret.

A long pause...

On the phone with Waltham. Daniel in customer service. "I am so sorry. Many of our CDs are donated. Looks like no one checked."

So, it's here and it's rare. Coveted and way rare. It's the one. Except, no disc. No music. No Sinatra.

And for now...no Christmas.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sure you'll find another copy. In the meantime, don't cancel Christmas. The Capitol era "A Jolly Christmas from FS" is a far superior Christmas album in comparison to the Columbia era "Christmas Songs". But, there is a catch with "Jolly Christmas" as well [of course] - make sure you get the Walsh mastered CD.

Simon A likes this.
  12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

So THAT'S what happened to that missing case of mine! ;)

Simon A likes this.
  13. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Over all, of course, you're correct, Jack.

But the Columbia version of "Have Yourself..." is better than any individual track on Jolly. Perfectly sung and simply heartbreaking.

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Whatever happened to QUALITY CONTROL????? Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

15. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

You guys are making me laugh.

So can I put it up for sale on the Marketplace? -- FS Christmas Songs by Sinatra: extremely rare, gold bordered Columbia remaster. Case and booklet NM condition, and once owned by our own Bob. Disc not included.

Simon A likes this.
  16. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Wait, I do have that. Red cover with Frank's picture on the present. C and P both 1987. Christmas is back on!

Michael

Simon A likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That's good, because you know that winking smiley means "just kidding!" ;)

Waltham MA happens to be little more than a stone's throw away from me, but I promise I was not the culprit. :angel:

18. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Absolutely my friend. Once I got over my initial reaction, I thought the whole thing was kind of amusing - especially since I absolutely nailed the right version. (Of course a little Don Julio Silver did help a bit).

For now, it's a Jolly Walsh Christmas and the hunt continues...

19. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Here we go again. Just purchased from a seller in Austin. He confirms: 2004, gold border, correct UPC.

Should I tell him to just keep the case? :whistle:

20. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Depends...is your booklet nice & sharp & clear - or does it look like mine? (see above) I'd wait & see - and if they're both good ones, then you should send one to me! :whistle: :angel: :D

21. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

Just found one (2004 release ) today at our local used record store for $5.......the only version the had.
    Last night I found the DCC Gold disc Sinatra Family Christmas sealed on an EBAY listing for $2.89 and they had 5 for sale.....I grabbed all 5 and will be giving the other 4 away for presents.

22. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I tracked down the 2004 version and I am really thrilled by it--the terrific content, the song selection, even the sound quality. I'm a real fan of A Jolly Christmas and I was a bit concerned this might sort of pale in comparison. Not so! This is very evocative of another time for me and makes me feel like its a snowy Christmas eve. Thanks for all the great posts that led me to this music and the best version of it.

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Hey Paul, I'm surprised you didn't comment on the back cover of the booklet: ;)
    CSBS-CD-back-cover.jpg
    There are at least two things "wrong" about this photo. Anyone else notice or care to guess?

24. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

No cufflinks and his eyes are brown?

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Make that four things wrong. Those were not what I had in mind. :D