Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" 4-LP 180 gram vinyl set being manufactured now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

I've placed my pre-order too. :)

2. So tempted to get both versions... I only have an entry level turntable, so the 180g version probably won't matter. Having said that, now is probably the only chance I have to get it. The fact a properly mastered digital version won't be available soon (if ever) means either vinyl version is definitive.

But it would be kind of cool getting the 180gram booklets signed when they tour next year. :)

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

There is also different packaging (booklet and photos) between the two versions. The weight of the vinyl can result in a (very) slightly better sound and be less prone to small warpage. My hunch is, as both are being pressed at the same plant from (I am assuming here) the same cutting, I would not expect to notice much if any difference on all but the most extremely revealing playback systems. This is only a supposition from limited experience and I haven't heard both versions of this release to make any solid conclusions. If my hunch is so in your case, the choice of packaging and edition you wish to collect would be the determining factor rather than the vinyl weight.

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I want this for the music first and foremost, but as a graphic designer I'm realllllly interested in seeing what they've done for the deluxe packaging. Looks like I'm gonna drop $100 on this one. :)

Jason

5. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Have any Canadian forum members found a good Canadian source for the 180 gram vinyl? What is it going for in Canadian dollars?

Thanks,

TV

6. LowRideDuh

LowRideDuh Member

I pre-ordered the 150g set from Elusive Disc,and today 11-29-06 , I received this Wonderful Email :
    Dear STEPHEN,

Thank you for your most recent order with Elusive Disc, Inc. Below you will find your order summary and shipping information. Please do not respond to this e-mail with questions not related to the shipment of this order. If you would like to contact us to confirm any details, please email the shipping department at [email protected] or call us at 765-608-5340.

It shows it shipping today with a UPS tracking number , dang it I'm Excited !

Cheers , Stephen

7. I ordered both versions from Elusive Disc, and it shipped over night as well. It should reach me in 3 - 5 days.

I'll finally get to hear the album properly for the first time.

8. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Just ordered the 150 gm version from Elusive Disc.

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I ordered the 150g, or is regular weight actually more like 120g? Either way, I look forward to it. I hope the pressings are nice, my Flaming Lips AT WAR WITH THE MYSTICS regular weight LP had a handful of loud pops throughout, and my 150g TOMMY had a noisey scuffed looking side one (at least). The mastering on both was fine, but the vinyl was noisy. Thankfully, my 150g A QUICK ONE was very quiet, so this is hopefully not a trend, but a bad couple of picks.

10. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Yes, it is 150gm for the standard version which should be fine for me since I don't have a high end system. IMO, with my system there was no reason to pay the extra $60 for the 180gm version.

11. Santa (aka my wife) is expected to get me the 150g version, but I will have to wait until Christmas to actually get it.

By then, you guys are going to be killing me with post after post about its sonic goodness!

Brian

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Well, I would agree that between myself and my system, I'd probably be hard pressed to hear a difference between two vinyl weights that were pressed from the same cut. I would love to get the 180g pressing, I just like the feel of them, and they've mostly been immaculate. This time out, however, I balked at the cost. I really appreciate Classic and Warner giving the customers the choice. The early Who albums are things that I'm not familiar with (and have gotten mixed enjoyment from) so I'm really glad I could buy a $19 LP instead of a $30, for instance. I just hope that RTI treats their regular weight stuff with as much respect as the 180g stuff, and the white paper sleeves that Tommy came in were one way not to do that. The two noisy albums, when I have 80's vinyl on flopsy vinyl that is quiet, also makes me anxious. I shouldn't get ****** albums for less money, I should just get less deluxe albums for less money. Like I said, though, hopefully, this was just an isolated thing. And once again I've just started typing and typing, blahblahblah . . . excuse my long windedness. :)

13. Received Stadium Arcadium today. It sounds wonderful, it actually now sounds like people playing musical instruments, instead of someone getting carried away at a mastering console.

Anyway, here is a graphic comparison of the LP and CD versions of Dani California. This transfer is from the 150 gram version:

Dani California from CD version
    [​IMG]

Dani California from 150 gram LP to PC transfer
    [​IMG]

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Can you put up a similar comparison of the title track for us?

I'm curious.

Thanks.

15. It's nice to finally hear the song get progressively louder - as intended.

Stadium Arcadium from LP
    [​IMG]
    Stadium Arcadium from CD
    [​IMG]

16. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:bigeek:

Wow! What a HUGE difference.

17. Steve Hoffman

Thank you for that.

I'm proud of the band, WB and all concerned for letting Kevin Gray and I present this great album the way it was MEANT TO BE HEARD!!

18. Pug

Between the Chili Peppers, Morph the Cat and upcoming Petty LP I am glad to see that WB seems really committed to releasing some quality vinyl.

19. But now it is even more frustrating that Californication and By The Way can't sound this good.

The music just sounds more relaxed, you are not being constantly screamed at, instead loud sections of the music have great emphasis. But also the instruments all sound so much clearer. On the CD version Flea's bass gets drowned out by over compressed snare drums, now you can hear how good his technique is and how he plays differently during different sections of the music.

This is how music should sound...

20. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Wow! Looking forward to getting this one. Should have in a couple days...

P.S. If you LOVE music, Acoustic Sounds (www.acousticsounds.com) is such a wonderfull online store. Total Class all around... The Best!

21. Pug

Great customer service as well. :thumbsup:

22. I got both sets from ElusiveDisc. I've never ordered vinyl before, but they worked out cheaper to post both versions to Australia. It was sent Thursday arrived Tuesday.

23. Steve Hoffman

Glad you like it.

24. Yeah, it is great, thanks for your great work, though I'm sure you'd be willing to do their other albums if Warner asked.

The things that really stand out are how the choruses really sound like magic, because they get such emphasis.

And, all of John's overdubs actually stick out of the mix a lot more on the LP than what is apparent on the CD version.

This really is hearing the album for the first time, the CD may as well be some badly encoded MP3s.

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Arrrgh! Where's my copy?!? Somewhere in the mail, I guess....

It's amazing (to me at least) that it got to Australia before Canada (we're a lot closer to the USA!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.