Chili Peppers approve vinyl TP's. Red vinyl OK'd and "Stadium Arcadium" good to go

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sonic Temple music on Yonge Street. They are a small indy store and are not usually "first on the block" to get their shipments in! Additionally their cost can be the same as the big chain store's selling point..... so they'd be more expensive. :sigh:

They don't have a release sheet yet and - of course - there is no pricing available.

2. Aye don't scare me, I intend to buy both versions.

I'm hoping it will be US$75 for both, excluding postage to me in Oz. But I have no idea, I don't buy new vinyl, so I don't know what to expect.

I think postage will be very epensive because it will be 8 LPs all together (for both versions).

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think (i.e.: in my opinion) your estimate is closer to reality, ShowsOn!

4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I've heard of Sonic Temple but I've never been there. I'm down at Queen St. and usually go as far as Eglinton to buy vinyl (Vortex). Thanks for the info, I'll make a trip to see what they're all about.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

PreOrders being taken now!

Did you ever make it to Sonic?

I just ordered the 4 LP red vinyl edition and it should be around $120.00 CAD from Sonic Temple. It looks like the stores are pre-ordering their stock! There is still no release date.

:goodie:

The deluxe edition is around $230.00 CAD.

Any other news on this? Actual release dates? Apparently this is a very limited edition...

Gary

6. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

HOLLLYYYYS SSHSHHH!!!!!!T

$230?!?!?

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well it could be cheaper elsewhere....

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

It would have to be The Beatles mastered by Steve for me to pay that much!

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

For the $120.00 edition, it works out to just $30.00 a vinyl LP. Not too bad...

10. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I think the price for 180g will be more like $100. Are you finding that a lot of online stores arent listing it? Diverse Vinyl lists it I think.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

$100.00 US is around $120.00 CAD and there's no shipping charges.

12. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Re: PreOrders being taken now!

Hi Gary.

I borrowed the cd and to be quite frank this RHCP album just didn't do it for me. So needless to say, I'll be saving a bundle by not picking up this one especially at these insane prices.

13. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Hmm, well I checked one site and it says release will be August 21st. It is wierd that a lot of the vinyl stores dont even show the item for preorder isnt it? It seems like they had the David Gilmour album, for instance, listed weeks and weeks in advance. Whats the deal? I dont see why its so hard to get a definitive release date for this stuff, and why these vinyl specialty stores can't get it together.

14. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

So, nobody has a clue whats going on? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!! Can I get an update on how the packaging will be, for the standard and deluxe versions? This has not been discussed at all.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

All of the Warner's LP's have been double LP's thus far (so far as I know) and they're all about $35. On 180g LP's. Even with fancy packaging, I'd think this would be around $70-$89 (which I think is what the 180g Cream concert went for,albeit a 3LP set). Personally, I think $35 is too much for a doulbe LP, $30 for a single LP from Classic is too much (though I've paid it), $89 for 3LP's is too much, but some of the guesses here are just insane. If they come true, first it was concert ticket prices, now LP's. Holy freakin' crap, people. Even Classic's Led Zep box is only about $15 per slab of vinyl and I'm not buying that thing. Sorry, I had to vent. I'm aware that if I don't like it, I don't have to buy it, but I'm starting to find that a sad and unsatisfactory explanation that too many people are willing to settle for. Okay, I feel a little bit better, sorry to bitch. Thank God for used record bins. :)

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

P.S. Why do Canadian/European places have the cost and release time of this title, while none of the American audio sites have made a peep? Just curious, is that fairly common?

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It's usually the other way around...

This is what I've heard / been told.

These are pressed in Germany (or at least are coming from Germany).

It's not WB who is doing this but a smaller outfit (division of WB? Not sure.) I don't remember their name, sorry.

The deluxe package is actually a box with stuff in it. I presume it'll be posters, lyrics and stuff. Who knows - it might look like the CD box.

There is no "release sheet" yet - my guy just heard about it over the 'phone.

That's it - all unsubstantiated "rumour".

18. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Re: Chili Peppers approve vinyl TP's. Red vinyl OK'd and "Stadium Arcadium" good to

Since this is a new realease, would the supreme mastering on the vinyl version qualify Steve and Kevin for a Grammy nod?

That would be something.

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Hey, search is back on! From an earlier thread, straight from Steve:

Do you get the idea? This is your chance to hear these 28 songs in "master tape quality" for the one and only time. Don't miss this on LP; spread out over eight sides for maximum dynamic range, mastered, plated and pressed at Record Tech, Inc. (RTI).

As I've mentioned, the vinyl versions will be mastered by HOFFMAN/GRAY at AcousTech from the 30 ips analog mixes and will be issued TWICE on vinyl from Warner Bros. Records: First on 4 LP's in regular 150 gram vinyl (possibly a neat translucent "Chili Pepper Red" vinyl) and a special 180 gram 4 LP version in deluxe slipcase with special giant booklet.

I'm hoping for the best, 'cause I'd still prefer to get SH/KG's version of this than the CD.

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

There ya go. $120.00 divided by 4 LPs is $30.00 an LP.

Oh wait - that's in Canadian dollars. So would that be $25.00 US an LP?

IMO, not a bad price for all that music.

21. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

And 150g will surely be no slouch either, for even less. My problem has never been in the pricing though. I just wish there was less chaos out there with the release dates. I mean...how is it even legal for some of these stores to put out unofficial dates? Just to get my hopes up! And then they come out with another date a week or 2 later! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH

22. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

I got this info from a local record shop:

I'll likely just pick up the $80 one.

23. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

That's Canadian, correct?

24. claypool

claypool New Member

Re: Chili Peppers approve vinyl TP's. Red vinyl OK'd and "Stadium Arcadium" good to

That might explain why European retailers have so competitive pre-order prices for these. The standard version is $47.82 at 101cd.com and $54.81 (including VAT) at jpc.de.

25. sonick

sonick Forum Resident

Yup, thats in canadian dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.