Chili Peppers approve vinyl TP's. Red vinyl OK'd and "Stadium Arcadium" good to go

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:biglaugh:

2. Chili

Chili New Member

You are right. If it just werent for the clipping! Thats really the only thing terribly wrong with it. Dynamics are nowhere near what they could be but I think it would be given a pass if it werent for that clippage....it just hurts my ears.

3. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

They did a great job doing some of the songs "live" on Fuse Saturday night, and the best thing was...no distortion or clipping. :laugh: A sock! :laugh: chit man he just remastered the RHCP! He'd have to have more than a sock. :biglaugh:

4. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Congratulations Steve (well, to both Kevin and you)! :)

Now all that we, the ones with defunct turntables, need is a HiRez version of the good mastering. :D

5. The thing that annoys me the most is the harsh limiting of the cymbals, they just don't sound like cymbals, but instead very hissy, as if the CD has been through a bad MP3 encoder.

It doesn't make sense, I've heard some samples of the new Dixie Chicks album, which features the RHCP's drummer Chad Smith playing on some songs. Even though he was probably playing the same drum kit, the cymbals sound so much better. Why can't they sound like that on a RHCP CD?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes it is flattering I'm sure. But in the bigger picture, it is so important.

The reissues you have done and continue to do show off excellent taste in music and sonics, and are worth continuing for sure.

But while you are cutting sides and mastering golds of catalog, that phone needs to be ringing off the hook with new stuff, new clients asking if you can fit them in, and one thing always leads to another. B. Eno will be calling soon asking if you have time. Could you fit in another new album?

It's all really really good! :goodie:

7. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

Or tightee whitees? :)

8. Chili

Chili New Member

Dont mean to be a pest, but whats currently going on with this album? Any news? (Im a fanatic...any tidbits of information would be great!)

9. Test pressings approved, which I assume means the discs are in production now. Still no release date announced by Warner Bros. though.

I got all excited when I saw this picture in the Stereophile Pictures thread. I thought it was a S.A. LP on red vinyl, but I think I was just wishing and hoping. Does anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

10. nickbloop

nickbloop Forum Resident

It's the new FLAMING LIPS album "At War With The Mystics". Disc two is kind of orange.
    Disc one...Kind of Blue.

You'll probably see "Brothers In Arms", "Shangri-La" and "All The Roadrunning" out of
    Warner/RTI before "Stadium Arcadium"

11. Do you mean that Steve is mastering all those albums for vinyl as well, or are Warner just using RTI as the pressing place?

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, my thoughts are you should do exactly as your gut instinct is telling you to do. New cart, that Audio Technica we are all raving about (see equipment) will give you some fresh new transparency to chew on, and enjoy some new slabs with.

Later, another upgrade perhaps.

13. nickbloop

nickbloop Forum Resident

Sorry, mate. Don't know about the mastering. Plating and pressing at RTI. Cheers!

14. Chili

Chili New Member

I thought Shangri-La was already out and available in stores? Brothers in Arms came out over 20 years ago....we can wait a little more for the reissue....not on to pressing Stadium Arcadium :cool: . It is afterall really HOT right now in the charts. Still no news?

15. claypool

claypool New Member

I wonder why they chose BiA for reissue. Original vinyl is easy to find and won't cost a lot. It's also an early digital recording so it might sound better on CD.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

My vinyl BIA kills the cd.

17. Chili

Chili New Member

I have a BiA on Simply Vinyl....its nice and thick, but I think it was digitized somewhere along the line. Even so, it eats the CD for breakfast. The CD is very limited sounding in the low frequencies, and the highs are boosted too much. Dont get me wrong, I really like that album....but shouldnt new albums take precedence? BiA can be pressed anytime...SA is a current hit record and I think the sooner they release it, the more sells.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Mine is an original Vertigo.

Anyway, yes, the sooner the Peppers vinyl comes out, the better. I'm hoping the price is reasonable.

19. How much do 4 LP sets usually sell for? US$25?

20. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd expect the "regular weight" version to be about $50 and the 180 gram version to be about $75. Just a guess on my part, though.

21. Chili

Chili New Member

Hmm, well I know some quality new vinyl thats 180g is about 25 bucks for 1 LP. There is a Jimi Hendrix Woodstock thats 3LPs for 80 or 90 bucks. And a 4LP Hendrix set for about $100. Now Im talking about a completely different company (Classic Records), and I think these will be slightly cheaper...but not sure how much.

22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You may be right. However, I believe that RTI is pressing the vinyl. They also press for Classic Records so the "material" costs on the RHCP will be the same.

I hope the price is lower. Although I've heard a little of the RHCP on the radio over the years I have never purchased any of their music. I'm considering buying this LP, but am reluctant to spend $50 or more on the LP when I've only heard one song from it.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm wondering if we can get a forum discount from someone (Red Trumpet is no longer around, right? They offered a group forum discount on the Dylan SACDs when they were first released)

25. Chili

Chili New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.